Country Bear Jamboree appreciation thread

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Also, if anyone is not familiar with it. The Country Bears is part of the story of "Walt's Last Laugh"

Probably the last attraction that had some of Walt's influence, if only a small part. Pirates I believe he rode through in October 1966 and approved. But CBJ was just more a rough concept at the time, but one that he liked. I guess it just never went away, even if they never did build that ski resort. Surprised they never added it in Disneyland before WDW in 1971.

Cmdr_Crimson

Other thing that bugged me was that in the Soundtrack version of the CBJ of Devilish Mary Zeke's voice was more wimpy sounding...
However in the one used in the show he's more gruff sounding...

Cmdr_Crimson

Probably the last attraction that had some of Walt's influence, if only a small part. Pirates I believe he rode through in October 1966 and approved. But CBJ was just more a rough concept at the time, but one that he liked. I guess it just never went away, even if they never did build that ski resort. Surprised they never added it in Disneyland before WDW in 1971.

It's a shame they couldn't have brought them to the DCA side of their park and put them into Grizzly Peak area a new theater and upgraded AA's would have made it amazing....But, sadly the only nod they have of them in DL is inside the Winnie the Pooh Attraction...Just after you go through the Hefflumps & woozle sequence you quickly turn around and look up to find the Max, Buff & Melvin are just smiling and "Hangin" Around for the fans to notice them in the darkness...
pooh_0.jpg

geekza

Pirates I believe he rode through in October 1966 and approved.
Walt unfortunately passed away before he could ride through it, but construction was well underway and he was able to see the final designs and many of the completed show scenes, from what I understand. It was a "done deal" by the time he passed, certainly. The CBJ show was deep in planning and the general form of what would become the final show had been written, so he definitely had substantial input on at least its core parts.

celluloid

The concept art was the last thing Marc Davis saw Walt Laugh at, after laughing, Walt said goodbye Marc, which struck Davis as odd, as Walt never often said something so final, It was typically "see you later." In some Imagineering books it is known as "Walt's last laugh"

Smiley/OCD

We love the show, "cheesiness" and all, and it's a must do whenever we go...it also happens to depend on the CM's that are working...we've had (on more than 1 occasion) CM's that did NOT want to be there...but we were there last November, and had 2 CM's who were REALLY into the show and got all the guests involved...probably the best CM crew and experience we've had on CBJ

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
The show died when the Fractured Folk Song and Devilish Mary were cut from it...

Oh goodness...............I just re-watched the older version and compared it with the newer version which is the one I've seen the last couple of years. Fractured Folk Song isn't in it. I guess I am so used to hearing that one that I subconsciously think it was still in there from a trip to WDW even two weeks ago!

I remember when they shortened it. The question I still have is "why"? It was a short 14 minute (now 11 minute) continuous show in a perfect location with a lot of traffic that you could always get in for the next show. Why did they even shorten it?

jkl2000

I love it - creepy animatronics at their best! I went to WDW once in the 70s and once in 2000, but somehow didn't make it to this attraction until 2013, and we loved it. I vaguely remember being aware of it in the 70s - I might have had some ViewMaster disks with pictures of it.

My favorite things at WDW are mostly the dark rides and the attractions that feature a lot of AA, so this one is right up there with the other classics. You can practically hear the gears turning.

geekza

It's interesting to note that the official spelling of the song's name (one I obviously have great personal interest in) is "Mama Don't Whip Little Buford". Before I knew this, I don't think I realised that "whup" is merely a corruption of "whip".
I would have thought you, above others, would be familiar with "whuppin'." ;)

Honestly, growing up in WV, I heard "whup'" more than "whip." Then again, older folks around me called paper bags, "pokes," and "holler" could either mean yell or the area between two mountains. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Country Bear Jamboree sings the songs of my people. lol

Incomudro

CBJ is classic Disney.
I don't care much for country music, but the show pieces, the animatronics, the humor... It's all the stuff that was pure Disney and that you could see nowhere else.

LittleBuford

Honestly, growing up in WV, I heard "whup'" more than "whip." Then again, older folks around me called paper bags, "pokes," and "holler" could either mean yell or the area between two mountains. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Country Bear Jamboree sings the songs of my people. lol

Lucky you! I'm British, so "whupping" was never part of my lexicon (plus I was a well-behaved child :)).

"Holler" for "hollow" reminded me of the Dolly Parton song "Kentucky Gambler", where she pronounces "follow" as "foller". While I'm not a country music fan generally, she's up there with the bears for me.

jkl2000

Wow, I've never heard "poke" for a paper bag before. Of course, I'm a northerner. But that's really interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom