Country Bear Jamboree appreciation thread

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Just what it says................this is one of my favourite shows in the park. Always has been. My grandfather loved it, my dad has always loved it and I love it. As do our kids. I just always think it is so folksy and funny and meant to be that way. Never a wait time more than 12 minutes as the shows are continuous and even in the waiting area I like the Frontierland-esque music . Sometimes I'll play a show in the background on Youtube while I am doing something else on the computer. My dad told me that in March of 1973 his first time at WDW he saw a woman faint from the heat while waiting in the lobby. I guess that is possible but in March even? Not to mention, when the park first opened there wasn't a whole lot in the upper left. Tom Sawyer Island came eventually but there was no Thunder, no Splash and more or less just CBJ the Frontierland Shootin' Gallery Tom Sawyer and the Liberty Belle Riverboat. So while it is still popular, it probably was more so back then.

Tell me the ways you love this show. The songs and the characters do it for me. Maybe even just the classic simplicity of it makes it so memorable. It isn't trying to be anything else.

LittleBuford

Needless to say, I'm a huge fan. I even like the way you can hear the animatronics making their robotic whirring sound as they move. The whole thing is so charming and old-school. I only hope they don't get rid of it.

My favourite lyric:

DW5mEb2W4AEDg2u.jpg

celluloid

I want the seasonal shows back. It is a shame current TDO sees it as cost they don't want to invest in. Japan of course, still changes theres with their three versions of the show that run in a year.
The Christimas show was absolutely a staple and with how much Hard Ticket Events cost for the holidays at MK it should absolutely be an enhancement that returns.

Also, if anyone is not familiar with it. The Country Bears is part of the story of "Walt's Last Laugh"

The Empress Lilly

I love it! Classic Disneyana. :inlove:

(Well the mean version they've left us. Trust TDO to ruin every good thing)

I couldn't help but notice the audience was different from the rest of WDW. Standing in the lobby I felt like I had taken a wrong turn and ended up at a NRA convention or something. :D

zurgandfriend

I loved the original show as well. On one trip, my DS noticed the Davy Crockett hat on the little bear. I had to explain the whole “Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier” thing to him. We bought him one in the trading post and he wore it the rest of the trip. My DW took a picture of him with it on. When we returned she got a picture of me wearing one in the 50’s from my mom. She had the two pictures framed and still has it in her office.

geekza

Didn't they also cut that one with 'Mama Don't Whoop little Buford?' or is that the Fractured Folk Song?
Buford is still getting whupped. Fractured Folk Song was toward the beginning of the show. It was the duet between Henry and Wendall.

"Well heres a fractured folk song,
Yeah, Butchered by two birds.

We wrote these lousy lyrics,
And we also wrote the words."

I really miss the full show. I recently bought the old LP that was released when the show was new. Thankfully, it has the entire show and a second side with music they played in the Mile Long Bar.

WEDwaydatamover

The whole show was/ is completely Un-P.C. Long live Grizzly Hall!

Let's see we've got whooping, shooting, carousing, fat jokes, songs mentioning hoes, ugly jokes, more drinking, rejection, making jokes at trophy animals, improper English, big time swingers (LU$T).

Umm... getting latters to possibly put up above audiences heads "putting" them at risk of injury and blood. Then even more blooood all around.

Can 'y'all help me out if I missed sumthin'

Last edited:

WEDwaydatamover

Buford is still getting whupped. Fractured Folk Song was toward the beginning of the show. It was the duet between Henry and Wendall.

I really miss the full show. I recently bought the old LP that was released when the show was new. Thankfully, it has the entire show and a second side with music they played in the Mile Long Bar.
Have you ever seen Buff, Max and Melvin in the Mile Long Bar?

It's a great YouTube piece.

JIMINYCR

Being raised on country... its a fav of mine too. What once was called down home back woods hillbilly still entertains. I enjoy the corny style humor and the fun animatronics. It reminds me that you dont need high techhy, video screened, lazer blasting elements to have good wholesome fun. I loved the Christmas themed show that once ago played during the holidays. I cringe when others call for its demise. It fits in perfectly with Frontierland.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster

I was there two weeks ago and I swear they still had that song. I know that by the whole "and we also wrote the words" part. It always makes me laugh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom