countries that shouldnt be in the world showcase

FrumiousBoojum

icorsix said:
:veryconfu Could you expound on this a bit more? Are you saying Disney is planning another theme park or someone else and if so, whom?

There was an announcement at some point last year that there was a large parcel of land bought up by a company with a plan to make a theme parks themed on what some people called "World Showcase rejects." Egypt, Russia, and New Zealand were three of the countries represented.

If it ever gets built, of course... it's no Disney. Just nearby in an attempt to compete.

Ralphlaw

No offense taken

MontyMon said:
Sorry, I really wasn't slamming you, I was attempting to be humourous :lookaroun

Clearly I wasn't clear enough either. No hard feelings? :wave:

No, I did not think you were slamming me. The whole thing is really interesting to me, and it's the sort of thing fact that can fill in those dull moments in many conversations. I hope everyone found it at least slightly interesting, and not a complete waste of electrons and computer blips.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
icorsix said:
Uh, Scotland already has a pavillion in Epcot: the United Kingdom! :animwink:

Also.

Really, care to tell me what the Scottish features are of the UK pavillion? Or is the sale of Pringles knit wear and tartan a comprehensive picture?:eek:

FrumiousBoojum

Pumbas Nakasak said:
Really, care to tell me what the Scottish features are of the UK pavillion? Or is the sale of Pringles knit wear and tartan a comprehensive picture?:eek:

Well... admittedly, the UK pavillion doesn't have much to begin with. Architecture is mainly based on English styles. But Scotland, Ireland, etc. -- they're more represented by the sale of items from the countries, natives of the countries as the CMs for the area, and several events/shows that will happen periodically.

Really, more of Scotland is present over in Canada than the UK.

Let's face it -- the UK is the one that needs the most help.

Jekyll Baker

Let's see, countries to be added to WS:

Definately need Eastern European representation, Russia and Greece have been mentioned many times. I know FumiousBoojum had a post earlier with a little concern that Greece is known more for its mythology than its modern reality. But that can be incorporated as a stepping-off point, as mythologies are used in the Norway and Mexican pavilions. A couple other Eastern European countries to consider: Hungary and Turkey. Turkey had its Ottoman Empire, and culturally/culinarily, is very similar to Greek and Middle-Eastern. Hungary is also a very old region and a crossroads of cultures - from Atilla, and gypsies, and the Gabor sisters (just kidding). I work with many Hungarians - they are all proud of their country - and the pictures they show me of Budapest and the rest of Hungary are beautiful. (just don't call them gypsies - that's like calling an African-American the N-word here in the US).

A South American Country - Brasil in a year-round (and toned-down) Carnivale, like Germany's year-round Oktoberfest, is the most likely representative. It could even have an Amazon trek dark-ride. Some of the other South American countries would be less possible because they might turn out too much like Mexico (like Peru and its Incan roots).

Polynesia - I know it's a conglomeration of many island nations, but it would still be an interesting "country," with a blending of the island cultures. The CMs wouldn't have to be from one single country (Maori, Figians, Hawai'ians, Filipinos, etc) And it could be at least partially funded by the US.

A few countries not to be seen in WS:

Spain and Switzerland - already enough Western European countries. Also, Switzerland would already be too similar to Germany.

Australia - Less chance of it being given a better treatment in AK. Kind of like I think I've read once that the only African presence in WS (besides Morocco) is the Outpost, because Africa is represented by a whole land in AK.
Unless the WS treatment would center around British Empire Australia (Sydney, Brisbane, etc.), and the AK treatment centered around the Aboriginal Australia (outback and New Zealand). But that would be silly to separate the two aspects of a single country, and seen as segregation to many here in the US.

And Antartica - it's not even a country, it's territories divided among many countries. And what would you do with it? Fake snow, a couple penguins, a research station, and nothing else. For that, just bring back IceStation Cool.

col

there are loads of scottish CM's. in the uk pavilion ive seen/heard scots,irish, welsh and brits. working at harry ramsdems in epcot there is a northern girl who didnt understand me.:eek:

there are irish people in the irish chip shop in DTD and the shop by it.

PintoColvig

Pumbas Nakasak said:

Now, now. What you should be advocating is that the UK pavillion offer more representation of Scotland. Certainly Scotland has a distinct nationality. But, if Scotland should get a pavillion, then on the same basis people would be whining that Wales and Northern Ireland need a pavillion as well. It's obviously a design problem; complaints have been made like this since WS was built. Nevertheless, the UK Pavillion represents ALL of the United Kingdom (including Scotland) just like the American Experience represents ALL of the U.S. (including Kentucky, where I'm from.)

Come to think of it, a Kentucky Pavillion wouldn't be a bad idea! Horse racing, fried chicken, bluegrass music, bourbon, barefeet! There's so much fodder for imagineers to build upon! :D Yeah, add Kentucky to my WS wish list :p

FrumiousBoojum

Jekyll Baker said:
I know FumiousBoojum had a post earlier with a little concern that Greece is known more for its mythology than its modern reality. But that can be incorporated as a stepping-off point, as mythologies are used in the Norway and Mexican pavilions.

Well, the problem wasn't the mythologies....

I think you're talking about the post on Egypt. The problem was the poster I replied to suggested the Sphynx, the Pyramids, and the Tut-themed restraunt. I don't mind including elements, I just don't want to have a pavilion where everybody leaves thinking that they all live in Ancient Egypt still. Sphynx or the Pyramids or some other ancient Egyptian landmark can serve as the weenie, but instead of a Tut-themed restraunt, something more of an authentic Egyptian establishment would be better -- foods out on display in the case, table-service only (even the fast-food restraunts are table service in Egypt). You see what I mean? Don't take the history so overboard that people will think that's ALL there is to the country. I'm sure people think that of Japan enough already....

pintraderpayee

FrumiousBoojum said:
Well, the problem wasn't the mythologies....

I think you're talking about the post on Egypt. The problem was the poster I replied to suggested the Sphynx, the Pyramids, and the Tut-themed restraunt. I don't mind including elements, I just don't want to have a pavilion where everybody leaves thinking that they all live in Ancient Egypt still. Sphynx or the Pyramids or some other ancient Egyptian landmark can serve as the weenie, but instead of a Tut-themed restraunt, something more of an authentic Egyptian establishment would be better -- foods out on display in the case, table-service only (even the fast-food restraunts are table service in Egypt). You see what I mean? Don't take the history so overboard that people will think that's ALL there is to the country. I'm sure people think that of Japan enough already....

I was not suggesting that an Egyptian pavalion ONLY have an ancient theme. There could be a blending of several centuries. After all, the pavalions at EPCOT give guests a taste of other countries, not an exact replica. Only at Disney could you have Ben Franklin and Mark Twain (SLC to bookworms) in the same show and it make sense!! :lol: When did taking history overboard become a bad thing? If you know a country's history, you are more likely to be understanding of cultural differences. It sometimes helps us avoid repeating mistakes.

5 weeks 2 days until the "yellow limo" rolls (school bus 27 teenagers :hammer: ) ºoºrlando bound

Denscott

How about Israel? I guess the problem there is who do you hire to staff it and how to you stop them from endlessly fighting amongst them, though that may lend the country a certain air of authenticity wouldn't it?:eek:

I think Russia, with a scaled version of Red Square and St. Basil's Cathedral along with the beautiful architecture of St. Petersburg, would be great. Just who in that country would pay for it?

The Netherlands would also be interesting. Besides, a red light district, ala Amsterdam, is exactly what the World Showcase needs!!!:D

Australia would be not so great. When I think of down under I think of huge expanses of outback and bright blue skies. A small plot of land crammed between other countries simply would not do it justice, in my opinion. Ditto for New Zealand (green fields and icy mountains) and Polynesia (bright blue ocean, green mountains)

FrumiousBoojum

Denscott said:
Australia would be not so great. When I think of down under I think of huge expanses of outback and bright blue skies. A small plot of land crammed between other countries simply would not do it justice, in my opinion.

They could always have authentic British prisoners to be the CMs for it, though. ;)

Texas84

Denscott said:
The Netherlands would also be interesting. Besides, a red light district, ala Amsterdam, is exactly what the World Showcase needs!!!:D
Durn it. You stole my idea! :D Either that or a gentlemen's club at PI. :cool:

GrumpysGal

Having the American Pavilion is symbolic and very patriotic. Walt probably would have wanted it that way. He was very patriotic and loved his country and having our country around those other great countries is very humbling. It's a shame some think having it there is meaningless. When I stand there and witness the cast members who march and sing our National Anthem and other patriotic songs...well, I'm proud and honored. It means something to me. And I think it does to many other people, as well.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
icorsix said:
, the UK Pavillion represents ALL of the United Kingdom (including Scotland)

So why did they have a Scottish pavillion during the 2K celebration. And aside from male voice choirs, closed mines and international terrorism what exactly have my Celtic cousins done that merits recognitioin.:lookaroun :animwink:

PintoColvig

Pumbas Nakasak said:
So why did they have a Scottish pavillion during the 2K celebration.

Obviously, it was guilt over dismissing Scotland in the UK Pavillion. Either that or they just wanted a miniature golf course as part of the Millennium Villiage! :p

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, the Scotland thing you refer to was not considered a pavillion. It was an exhibit. The Millennium Village itself was considered to be a pavillion.

Now, one more time...
Scotland has a national identity but it doesn't qualify as a country. So, it doesn't deserve its own pavillion in WS. For more info. on why Scotland shouldn't be considered a country, check out this link:
http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/scotlandnot.htm
:lookaroun :animwink:

Kwit35

Trizz41999 said:
funny thing is, They have the American area becuase that way, people could eat hamburgers and American food.
I can just see that meeting now. "Well, we will definately need to spend millions of dollars on a pavillion just so people can have burgers..." :hammer: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom