Councilperson Dr. Jose Moreno proposes $1 gate tax for the DLR and other venues - Failed a second time, but still very much alive.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Is Dr. Moreno a dentist perhaps? because he wouldn't be a real doctor.

>>Dr. Moreno’s area of emphasis is Latino/a Education and Policy Studies. Born in Guasave, Sinaloa, Mexico and raised in Oxnard, Ca, he received his B.A. in Social Ecology from the University of California, Irvine; Ed.M. from Harvard University; and Ed.D. from the Harvard University Graduate School of Education in Administration, Planning, and Social Policy.<<

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Let me share a set of comments from Nextdoor.

>>

David Klawe

Anaheim - Orange North
124c33f534314defa359aaf6cafc4ccd.svg

As I understand it, it would have to be an entertainment tax, so not just Disneyland, Angel Stadium and the Honda Center, but Movie Theaters, House of Blues, Plays, Concerts, some Convention Center Events, etc. That impacts the residents, and would motive some to do things in other cities. The Budget will take a short term hit, but getting Disneyland and the Convention Center back up and running is the best solution to help solve the revenue stream in the long term.
4 hr ago
Thank

thank42.png

Jose F. Moreno

Jose F. Moreno

Anaheim - Founders/Westmont

That is incorrect David. As I am the one who proposed and you have not reached out to me to ask I’m afraid you are simply fear mongering with misinformation. We have a $75 million dollar budget hole. The city invested over $1.2 billion by end of payments in resort infrastructure including the Disney parking structure fir which we get not one penny in revenue and Disney gets 100% of revenues from our Publicly owned structure. A $1 per ticket gate fee will not hurt Disney at all but help our ability to maintain city services tremendously. A reminder, during the Great Recession, while our city and school budgets were decimated, from 2007-2014 Disney raised ticket prices by a whopping 45%...45% and Angels baseball raised their avg ticket prices 41%...41%. So yes, it is fair to ask the people of Anaheim if they would like to have a vote whether to have a $1 per ticket gate fee largely paid by tourists / visitors to sustain our city services. Without that option we are looking at dreadful cuts to city services.
53 min ago
Thank

thank42.png

David Klawe

David Klawe

Anaheim - Orange North

Please ask the city attorney the question, Can you target specific businesses in an Entertainment Tax, or do you have to tax the entire segment? I would love to hear his response.<<

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

>>Dr. Moreno’s area of emphasis is Latino/a Education and Policy Studies. Born in Guasave, Sinaloa, Mexico and raised in Oxnard, Ca, he received his B.A. in Social Ecology from the University of California, Irvine; Ed.M. from Harvard University; and Ed.D. from the Harvard University Graduate School of Education in Administration, Planning, and Social Policy.<<
Like I thought, a quack!

TP2000

Didn’t Anaheim agree not to have a ticket tax for 30 years since Disney invested in the resort?

No, that whole deal was cooked up by Michael Colglazier and was completely toxic. It has since collapsed.

Josh D'Amaro, AKA The Dreamiest Executive Ever, agreed to cancel that whole scheme with Anaheim a couple years ago when they cancelled the 4th Hotel. The deal no longer exists. It went with the wind, and Mr. Colglazier's stalled career.

The Dreamiest Executive Ever is now Mr. Colglazier's boss, so you can imagine how frosty these first few weekly check-ins have been for Josh and Mr. Colglazier. :cool:

Is Dr. Moreno a dentist perhaps? because he wouldn't be a real doctor.

No, he's one of those fake doctors whose doctorate is composed of boring words and ideas no one really cares about. He has never saved a life, nor has he ever cleaned anyone's teeth. He's just not that useful.

Ah, exactly. Words. And thoughts. And more words.
God help you if you get stuck next to him at a dinner party! Zzzz..... 😴

And what's with the word "Chicano" in 2020? I thought that went out of style back in 1978?

Last edited:

Phroobar

No, that whole deal was cooked up by Michael Colglazier and was completely toxic. It has since collapsed.

Josh D'Amaro, AKA The Dreamiest Executive Ever, agreed to cancel that whole scheme with Anaheim a couple years ago when they cancelled the 4th Hotel. The deal no longer exists. It went with the wind, and Mr. Colglazier's stalled career.

The Dreamiest Executive Ever is now Mr. Colglazier's boss, so you can imagine how frosty these first few weekly check-ins have been for Josh and Mr. Colglazier. :cool:

No, he's one of those fake doctors whose doctorate is composed of boring words and ideas no one really cares about. He has never saved a life, nor has he ever cleaned anyone's teeth. He's just not that useful.

Ah, exactly. Words. And thoughts. And more words.
God help you if you get stuck next to him at a dinner party! Zzzz..... 😴

And what's with the word "Chicano" in 2020? I thought that went out of style back in 1978?
What's a "Chicano"? Is that someone from Chicago?

TP2000

Like Dr. Martin Luther King?

I've always used "Reverend", and then followed it up with either his surname King, or his full name Martin Luther King.

People started really playing up the "Dr." part of his title when President Reagan signed the holiday into law in the 1980's. I would assume his Phd is in theology, and I think he earned it before he became famous by 1960. But I'm just guessing.

In the 1960's, when he was actually doing the hard work of civil rights and changing America for the better, the title "Reverend" was what he often went by. But somehow that title wasn't cool enough a few decades after his death, and his common title in conversation as "Reverend" became "Doctor" in the media and then culturally almost exclusively.

Last edited:

TP2000

What's a "Chicano"? Is that someone from Chicago?

It's a very old term used to describe what are now called Hispanics or Latinos. It was used in conversation a lot in the 1970's, but fell out of favor in the 80's. I hadn't seen it used in decades until this thread.

I had assumed it was about as unfashionable as using the term "Oriental", in common use through the late 1970's, instead of the more modern "Asian".

Last edited:

truecoat

It's a very old term used to describe what are now called Hispanics or Latinos. It was used in conversation a lot in the 1970's, but fell out of favor in the 80's. I hadn't seen it used in decades until this thread.

I had assumed it was about as unfashionable as using the term "Oriental", in common use through the late 1970's, instead of the more modern "Asian".

Typically, a person born in or who descends from Spain is referred to as Spanish or a Spaniard. CHICANO/CHICANA Someone who is native of, or descends from, Mexico and who lives in the United States. ... The term Latino/Latina includes people from Brazil and excludes those who were born in or descended from Spain.

denyuntilcaught

Typically, a person born in or who descends from Spain is referred to as Spanish or a Spaniard. CHICANO/CHICANA Someone who is native of, or descends from, Mexico and who lives in the United States. ... The term Latino/Latina includes people from Brazil and excludes those who were born in or descended from Spain.

Spot on. The term hasn't fallen out of favor.

TP2000

Huh. I had no idea. So what is a Hispanic? Am I right in thinking that's a more blanketing term that could include a Brazilian and a Mexican and a Spaniard?

Spot on. The term hasn't fallen out of favor.

And yet I would argue it has fallen out of favor. You used to hear Chicano on the TV news and in conversation all the time in the 1970's and into the 1980's. I can't remember the last time a TV news anchor used the word Chicano in a nightly newscast. Or when it was used in conversation.

To be honest, I thought it was one of those words that was unfashionable and no longer allowed in polite conversation. Like "Oriental", which used to be used widely but was replaced by Asian around 1980.

My crowd, mostly aging white folks, uses the term "Hispanic" now to describe someone of Mexican descent. But maybe I should wow 'em at the next dinner party and bring "Chicano" back? :p

TP2000

Is Chicanx a proper use of a Non-gender word?

Oh, don't even get me started! How the heck are you supposed to pronounce Latinx? And who the heck thought that was a good idea to start making up nonsensical words?

Do I literally say "Latin Ex", or is it more fluid and I'm supposed to pronounce it "Lahteenex" (rhymes with Kleenex)???

Why not cut out the middle man and just use the world Kleenex? There could even be sponsorship money there.

I have half a mind to drive down to Fullerton Junior College - Go Hornets! and ask the kids on campus who refused to fly a drone over Star Wars Land for us how an aging white guy is supposed to pronounce that word.

But I can't even begin to think how I'm supposed to pronounce a made up word like Chicanx, shortly after I bring the word Chicano back from the dead at my next dinner party.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom