Could Disney face another hostile takeover attempt?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But some of the parks are still closed.
2 Parks are closed, DLR and HKDL. So unless something else closed down in the last 12 hours that I don't know about its still the same 2 parks for the last 2 weeks. And eventually both of those Parks will reopen.

Won't Wall Street be upset at Disney for not hitting the goals? There's also the chance the two Bobs could mess up and panic Wall Street, even if that wasn't the intention.
Iger and Chapek are not stupid. They know how to speak to Wall Street. Also if you have been watching the DIS stock recently you'll notice its been down while the rest of the market has been up. Wall Street has already been anticipating a bad quarter, "baking" it into the price of the stock. So unless they get news out of left field there will be a quick sell off and then a stabilization of the stock after the earnings call. And then in my opinion, a short period of buying a couple days later, to bring the stock back to the $115-120 range.

Why then are so many people making Iger out to be the villain, trying to secure his own legacy at the expense of the company?
I can only speculate, but because some fans don't like the Iger model of using only IPs in the Parks.

mharrington

Original Poster
2 Parks are closed, DLR and HKDL. So unless something else closed down in the last 12 hours that I don't know about its still the same 2 parks for the last 2 weeks. And eventually both of those Parks will reopen.

I hope they mention the state of the parks at the meeting.

Iger and Chapek are not stupid. They know how to speak to Wall Street. Also if you have been watching the DIS stock recently you'll notice its been down while the rest of the market has been up. Wall Street has already been anticipating a bad quarter, "baking" it into the price of the stock. So unless they get news out of left field there will be a quick sell off and then a stabilization of the stock after the earnings call. And then in my opinion, a short period of buying a couple days later, to bring the stock back to the $115-120 range.

Wouldn't they still be upset at Disney for being a "bad" period?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I hope they mention the state of the parks at the meeting.
There is no reason to hope, its a guarantee they discuss the status of the Park and Resorts division during the earnings call. And as mentioned they will get follow-up questions about it during the Analyst Q&A portion of the call.

Wouldn't they still be upset at Disney for being a "bad" period?
"Upset" is not the right word. And no, there was no way for Disney or any other company to prepare for a pandemic like this. There is a larger discussion which isn't appropriate in this thread regarding how and why stocks will go up or down. I suggest you do research into institutional investors and stock market volatility.

mharrington

Original Poster
There is no reason to hope, its a guarantee they discuss the status of the Park and Resorts division during the earnings call. And as mentioned they will get follow-up questions about it during the Analyst Q&A portion of the call.

I heard that they will likely discuss the prospects of reopening Disneyland at the meeting, but I thought that was beholden to forces outside Disney's control.

"Upset" is not the right word. And no, there was no way for Disney or any other company to prepare for a pandemic like this. There is a larger discussion which isn't appropriate in this thread regarding how and why stocks will go up or down. I suggest you do research into institutional investors and stock market volatility.

Why then do we get criticized for not being prepared? Or at least more prepared?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I heard that they will likely discuss the prospects of reopening Disneyland at the meeting, but I thought that was beholden to forces outside Disney's control.

I had not heard or read that, so not sure where you got that information. Not saying its wrong, but I would be surprised if they even talking about it in any detail. If anything I would suspect they repeat that same statement, its pending governmental approval.

Why then do we get criticized for not being prepared? Or at least more prepared?
Human nature.

mharrington

Original Poster
Aren't the furloughs supposed to be coming to an end? Meaning, workers have to come back?

Also, I have heard of a rumor that Main Street is to be converted to Mickey Avenue because of political correctness. I had reached out to @marni1971 on that one, given his track record. So far, however, I haven't heard back from him.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Aren't the furloughs supposed to be coming to an end? Meaning, workers have to come back?

Also, I have heard of a rumor that Main Street is to be converted to Mickey Avenue because of political correctness. I had reached out to @marni1971 on that one, given his track record. So far, however, I haven't heard back from him.
A member posted a month ago that only 39% of resorts cast have been recalled and over 80% of theme parks cast have been recalled. The rest seen to survive in unemployment since the weekly stimulus checks ran out last week.

mharrington

Original Poster
A member posted a month ago that only 39% of resorts cast have been recalled and over 80% of theme parks cast have been recalled. The rest seen to survive in unemployment since the weekly stimulus checks ran out last week.

Is that Disneyland or WDW?

Lilofan

Oh, well, actually, my question pertained to Disneyland. Again, doesn't the furlough period there end soon (if it hasn't already)?
Someone posted that union cast can be furloughed up to one year I think. Business needs dictate and the ones on furlough are probably struggling.

mharrington

Original Poster
Someone posted that union cast can be furloughed up to one year I think. Business needs dictate and the ones on furlough are probably struggling.

Follow-up question, and I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but does this year-long furlough mean that Disneyland will likely be closed for that long? And that the furloughed cast will likely be struggling? I don't think that will be good for them. They need a job in order to sustain their lives, I would think.

Lilofan

Follow-up question, and I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but does this year-long furlough mean that Disneyland will likely be closed for that long? And that the furloughed cast will likely be struggling? I don't think that will be good for them. They need a job in order to sustain their lives, I would think.
Not sure about length of closure but to survive on unemployment since the weekly stimulus checks of the last 4 months stopped last week could be extremely difficult. In CA, with higher cost of living than FL, it's just much tougher.

mharrington

Original Poster
Not sure about length of closure but to survive on unemployment since the weekly stimulus checks of the last 4 months stopped last week could be extremely difficult. In CA, with higher cost of living than FL, it's just much tougher.

If that's the case, wouldn't that pressure the unions into talking to the government? Even they should be concerned about financial stability (such as it is), even if they don't feel "safe" at the parks.

mharrington

Original Poster
I know I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating: if unemployment benefits are expiring, then shouldn't that force (at least) the CA government's hand on reopening? Because at some point, they're going to have to make a choice about people's lives or their livelihoods which make it possible for them to financially live well. If they don't, there's a good chance the government could (at least indirectly) exacerbate the homeless rate. This is not just about theme parks, but anything else that is still shut down.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
It's the extra 600 bucks that was expiring, the govt finally realized that people were choosing not to go back to work because they were making more in unemployment than they were at their jobs.

Lilofan

It's the extra 600 bucks that was expiring, the govt finally realized that people were choosing not to go back to work because they were making more in unemployment than they were at their jobs.
Tell that to the many that will be homeless without those stimulus checks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom