Could Disney face another hostile takeover attempt?

Lilofan

Depends on if you believe the analysts have some inside information versus just making an educated guess on the potential future. I for one don't hold any analyst to higher regard than any other person. They are prone to misinterpreted information and mistakes just like anyone else.
Words mean everything in the stock market where fortunes are built or destroyed. After Iger and Chapek update of the company followed by some Q&A ( they don't get the questions in advance ) from Wall Street to them on the upcoming live public earnings call, Wall Street analysts words on the earnings call after it is concluded mean a lot for the the company shareholders and the stock market in general.

mharrington

Original Poster
That glosses over the many other regions. Did you even read the article I posted? Theaters are specifically asking Studios to release films. The next few weeks are going to be critical in this discussion. Studios are going to be forced to make a decision, either release films to theaters staggered to different regions over time (just like the old days) or release to PVOD and Streaming.

Considering the schedule changes at Disney in particular, I doubt "Mulan" will be part of the discussion.

Depends on if you believe the analysts have some inside information versus just making an educated guess on the potential future. I for one don't hold any analyst to higher regard than any other person. They are prone to misinterpreted information and mistakes just like anyone else.

They must be doing at least some research before providing anything. Otherwise, don't mistakes usually discredit them?

Lilofan

Considering the schedule changes at Disney in particular, I doubt "Mulan" will be part of the discussion.

They must be doing at least some research before providing anything. Otherwise, don't mistakes usually discredit them?
Wall Street analysts covering a company frequently visit and or talk with company execs among their other roles when they are responsible in the assigned sector of companies they cover. ( ie an analyst covers stock on travel and leisure companies) . These Wall Street folks are no fools and their words can rattle the company stock price.

mharrington

Original Poster
Wall Street analysts covering a company frequently visit and or talk with company execs among their other roles when they are responsible in the assigned sector of companies they cover. ( ie an analyst covers stock on travel and leisure companies) . These Wall Street folks are no fools and their words can rattle the company stock price.

Exactly. What Wall Street says can definitely impact a company.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Words mean everything in the stock market where fortunes are built or destroyed. After Iger and Chapek update of the company followed by some Q&A ( they don't get the questions in advance ) from Wall Street to them on the upcoming live public earnings call, Wall Street analysts words on the earnings call after it is concluded mean a lot for the the company shareholders and the stock market in general.
And yet a lot of these same analysts were at least indirectly if not directly the source of the 2008 financial crisis. They are flawed just like the rest of us. Just because they may seem like they can predict the future, they can't. And anyone that puts their money on the line based on these same analysts are foolish.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wouldn't bet on that.

Sure they do research, you could do the same research a lot of times. They can't predict the future, and are most often than not wrong when it comes to the longer term health of a company.

Lilofan

And yet a lot of these same analysts were at least indirectly if not directly the source of the 2008 financial crisis. They are flawed just like the rest of us. Just because they may seem like they can predict the future, they can't. And anyone that puts their money on the line based on these same analysts are foolish.
You just described millions invested some with their life savings in the stock market /401K , pension plans etc. I've invested with these analysts most of my adult life. I'm content and my money works harder than I do!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You just described millions invested some with their life savings in the stock market /401K , pension plans etc. I've invested with these analysts most of my adult life. I'm content and my money works harder than I do!
And again I point back to the 2008 financial crisis. Life savings were wiped out because these same financial analysts decided to get greedy and create "insurance" against more risky debt. Of course I'm glossing over the more finer points, but my point is still the same. Trillions were lost and yet none of those same analysts ever really paid the price for losing all that money. And yet you or me do the same thing and we go to prison. So excuse me if I don't bow down at the greatness of these financial analyst as they walk by and step all over me. Because honestly they couldn't care less if they lose your money as long as they get their nice fat bonus check.

Lilofan

And again I point back to the 2008 financial crisis. Life savings were wiped out because these same financial analysts decided to get greedy and create "insurance" against more risky debt. Of course I'm glossing over the more finer points, but my point is still the same. Trillions were lost and yet none of those same analysts ever really paid the price for losing all that money. And yet you or me do the same thing and we go to prison. So excuse me if I don't bow down at the greatness of these financial analyst as they walk by and step all over me. Because honestly they couldn't care less if they lose your money as long as they get their nice fat bonus check.
A little bit of insider trading happens to in many lucrative ways and some bet heavily to short the market that has a strong feeling the market would collapse. That's part of the way to cash in/out before the sky falls. I knew some that had cash on the sidelines and if one started buying when the sky fell in March 2009, they did very well. Some I knew who bought homes/condos that lost half their value in 2009-2011also bought at the best time.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A little bit of insider trading happens to in many lucrative ways and some bet heavily to short the market that has a strong feeling the market would collapse. That's part of the way to cash in/out before the sky falls. I knew some that had cash on the sidelines and if one started buying when the sky fell in March 2009, they did very well. Some I knew who bought homes/condos that lost half their value in 2009-2011also bought at the best time.
Sorry but I wouldn't consider (by some estimates) $12 Trillion lost to be just a "little" insider trading. Sure there were some that got out ahead of time and bought at the right time. But that wasn't the vast majority of all Americans that lost money between 2007 and 2009. Some people still haven't fully recovered 10 years later, and now hit with the issues of COVID. So no I don't want to hear praises for these financial analysts who proved in 2008 that they really just care about themselves, not the money you invest with them or how to properly safe guard it.

I'll say it again, anyone the puts their life savings 100% in the hands of these same analysts are foolish.

Lilofan

Sorry but I wouldn't consider (by some estimates) $12 Trillion lost to be just a "little" insider trading. Sure there were some that got out ahead of time and bought at the right time. But that wasn't the vast majority of all Americans that lost money between 2007 and 2009. Some people still haven't fully recovered 10 years later, and now hit with the issues of COVID. So no I don't want to hear praises for these financial analysts who proved in 2008 that they really just care about themselves, not the money you invest with them or how to properly safe guard it.

I'll say it again, anyone the puts their life savings 100% in the hands of these same analysts are foolish.
The ones that bought real estate especially condos at the peak in 2006 with a 30 year mortgage, some I know that were screwed.

Lilofan

Disney may not want to be sold for now but the two groups that have the cash to buy Disney is Apple with over $200B in cash and Jeff Bezos worth $176B.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney may not want to be sold for now but the two groups that have the cash to buy Disney is Apple with over $200B in cash and Jeff Bezos worth $176B.
Both of which are currently under very intense scrutiny by Congress for antitrust concerns. And depending on November may or may not intensify next year. So no I highly doubt either would make a play for Disney, or even get passed regulatory review, at this point.

Again no one at this point has deep enough pockets and would make it passed regulatory review.

mharrington

Original Poster
I believe that @Darkbeer1 suggested that with jobless funding or whatever expiring in August, that would pressure the California government to reopen things, theme parks included, as people must go back to work. But there is the off chance that Congress could extend such benefits again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom