Could Disney face another hostile takeover attempt?

Darkprime

Yeah that's also not happening. Too expensive and not to mention Disney will want to keep Tom Rothman as far away from the studio as possible (he's the reason Deadpool originally couldn't speak in the X-Men series, not to mention the ****ty Fantastic Four movies).

I'm curious what would you value SPE at? I'm thinking something around 35-40 Billion.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Is now a good time to post that Disney could have bought the X-Men/FF rights back without having to buy Fox?
The real question is would the Murdoch's have just sold the rights back without Disney buying the whole company. That is debatable as the Murdoch's were looking for a buyer for Fox. And any buyer would have wanted to keep the lucrative Marvel Fox properties. So really while yes Disney could have, doesn't mean Murdoch's would have. At least in my opinion.

the.dreamfinder

The real question is would the Murdoch's have just sold the rights back without Disney buying the whole company. That is debatable as the Murdoch's were looking for a buyer for Fox. And any buyer would have wanted to keep the lucrative Marvel Fox properties. So really while yes Disney could have, doesn't mean Murdoch's would have. At least in my opinion.
$1.5 Billion to $2 Billion in easy cash would be hard to turn down. Murdochs became sellers because they couldn’t buy TW and Rupert’s getting on in the years so another acquisition opportunity would be unlikely and Bob wanted to make one last big deal.

Darkprime

From what Ive read in the trades no. It was all or nothing with the Murdochs. During the very early stages of the sale they did briefly consider splitting up the company and sell off bits and pieces to the highest bidder but I think they realized that selling it all to the highest bidder was best for the shareholders and overall value. Also you have to consider Disneys position as well. It wasn't just the marvel rights they were after they wanted Avatar and the Simpsons and Fox's library of content for Disney plus.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There's a genuine mentality in media journalism that telecoms and Silicon Valley will save the media. It started when Comcast bought NBCUni and got worse when Bezos took over WaPost and AT&T merged with TimeWarner.
Not saying you're think it'll happen. But who's Disney going to buy from the telecom world? CenturyLink? Frontier? Not many telecoms left worth anything. And not many telecoms with deep enough pockets to buy Disney. Plus Disney tried to get into the telecom market once before, didn't go very well.

And I still don't believe Apple, Google, or any other tech company is going to buy Disney at this point. If they were going to do it, they should have done it when the stock was in the $80s. Nope, while I believe it'll be a rough couple of quarters, Disney will make it out of all this relatively unscathed.

Slpy3270

Not saying you're think it'll happen. But who's Disney going to buy from the telecom world? CenturyLink? Frontier? Not many telecoms left worth anything. And not many telecoms with deep enough pockets to buy Disney. Plus Disney tried to get into the telecom market once before, didn't go very well.

And I still don't believe Apple, Google, or any other tech company is going to buy Disney at this point. If they were going to do it, they should have done it when the stock was in the $80s. Nope, while I believe it'll be a rough couple of quarters, Disney will make it out of all this relatively unscathed.

That of course assumes that the US theme parks don't reopen disastrously and Mulan and Black Widow don't lose $300 million each.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That of course assumes that the US theme parks don't reopen disastrously and Mulan and Black Widow don't lose $300 million each.
As I said a rough couple of quarters ahead. But that, in my opinion, is not enough to take down one of the largest media conglomerates on the planet.

Talk to me in a year, late 2021, and we'll see where Disney is at.

mharrington

Original Poster
Being undervalued is a good thing. Being overvalued is a bad thing. So what the analyst, which I assume came from a Barron's article yesterday, is saying is that they believe Disney stock will go UP.

Being undervalued is what got Disney in trouble back in 1984.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Being undervalued is what got Disney in trouble back in 1984.
That is an over simplification of the events from 1984. Also this ain't 1984, and the stock price is way more expensive than back then. Disney is also a completely different company, being a media conglomerate instead of just a movie studio with some theme parks.

So no, being undervalued in this case is not the same as in 1984.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

That's John Carter territory. Literally that much.

The next biggest theatrical deficit in modern times is Tomorrowland at -$165M.

It'll be more of a loss if theaters can't open and eventually they have to go to streaming. Otherwise, only a deep recession would see those as major money-losers.

Slpy3270

Beginning to think that whatever gain Disney may get from reopening Disney World could be dashed if ESPN has no college sports to air for the remainder of the year (NBA/MLS seasons don't run through December; and it's not clear if NBA will even have a 2020-21 season). Think about the billions in revenue that could be lost (and Disney paying for games that won't be played and not getting that money back).

And no, Disney isn't getting rid of ESPN anytime soon. They're their second-biggest cash cow behind the parks.

Twilight_Roxas

I don’t think Disney should be with Centurylink. Their service is terrible, and their WiFi always go down for no reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom