Could Comcast take over Reedy Creek?????

jmarc63

Original Poster
After reading the Sun-Sentinel article on the deterioration at WDW and MK I was searching the other WDW related articles and fornd this article http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...ar26,0,1065938.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

It discusses a review of Disney's private government, the Reedy Creek Improvement District by the Floridia Legeslature, specifically weather the distric powers could be passed to Comcast, should they be sucessful in a take over bid.

First I have to say that I would do my damdest to not let that happen if I can, But could be very scary if comcast could take over the powers of RCID the Floridia legeslature gave to Walt in 1967

All in all if Disney gets new owners the RCID powere shoould be recinded, but that could come with a price as well... Who knows weather this could be an issue but I put this out as food for thought.

jmarc63

Original Poster
Originally posted by Woody13
This gets into politics and Eeyore has asked us not to discuss such issues!

How is this politics???

if this is the case then we should'nt be disscussing such topics as Eisners ouster, Roy and Stanley and save disney.com???

ya think??

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
zees hass alchreddy been discussed!

but its a critical issue. that power is something that I wouldn't want to loose too quickly if I had it for 40 years. Man, I'm still waiting for Disney Airlines and their own little airport (which they have the rights to).

Woody13

Originally posted by jmarc63
How is this politics???

if this is the case then we should'nt be disscussing such topics as Eisners ouster, Roy and Stanley and save disney.com???

ya think??

Mike, Roy and Stan are all fair game business topics. However, the Reedy Creek Improvement District is strictly a political issue that is off limits per Eeyore:

"Political issues

I'm asking forum members to please refrain from posting topics of a political nature. Yes this may be chit chat, but overall it is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Walt Disney World. Political debates are best left to political discussion boards.
Thank you"

I just want to play by the rules.:wave:

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by Woody13
Mike, Roy and Stan are all fair game business topics. However, the Reedy Creek Improvement District is strictly a political issue that is off limits per Eeyore:

"Political issues

I'm asking forum members to please refrain from posting topics of a political nature. Yes this may be chit chat, but overall it is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Walt Disney World. Political debates are best left to political discussion boards.
Thank you"

I just want to play by the rules.:wave:

I'm pretty sure Eeyore was referring to REAL politics, like Bush vs. Kerry, governors, etc. This topic IS related to WDW and is not really a POLITICAL topic.

Anyway, I don't think you can just "buy" a government entity JMARC. Reedy Creek was established, it wasn't a company that Disney started, and since then, it's been a self-supporting agency, or jurisdiction. Deep down, yes, Disney currently has ultimate influence on how they do things in Reedy Creek's Disctrict, and I'm sure Comcast would if that thing ever came to fruition again, but they can't come in and just say, "OK, Reedy Creek is gone and we're starting Comcast Creek Improvement District now" - they can't just delete and create governing bodies.

Besides, if Comcast took over, we wouldn't need to worry about who goverened the property because they rest of everything will have gone to hell in a handbasket anyway because of it.....but I won't know because I'll never go again if it happened.

jmarc63

Original Poster
Originally posted by edwardtc
I'm pretty sure Eeyore was referring to REAL politics, like Bush vs. Kerry, governors, etc. This topic IS related to WDW and is not really a POLITICAL topic.

Anyway, I don't think you can just "buy" a government entity JMARC. Reedy Creek was established, it wasn't a company that Disney started, and since then, it's been a self-supporting agency, or jurisdiction. Deep down, yes, Disney currently has ultimate influence on how they do things in Reedy Creek's Disctrict, and I'm sure Comcast would if that thing ever came to fruition again, but they can't come in and just say, "OK, Reedy Creek is gone and we're starting Comcast Creek Improvement District now" - they can't just delete and create governing bodies.

Besides, if Comcast took over, we wouldn't need to worry about who goverened the property because they rest of everything will have gone to hell in a handbasket anyway because of it.....but I won't know because I'll never go again if it happened.

I never ment to imply that they would be able to BUY RCID, But to have management control. But at this time this is a dead issue and would like to close the debate. I just wanted to know opinion.

Also, edwardtc was right, otherwise eeyeore would have posted a comment.

Bill

Account Suspended
Well, to quote you, "Who Cares!?"

And you should talk, your sig is more then 5 lines!

LOL :lol:

Honestly, who brings up a topic more then a month old, a dead one at that...:hammer:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Bill
Well, to quote you, "Who Cares!?"

And you should talk, your sig is more then 5 lines!

LOL :lol:

Honestly, who brings up a topic more then a month old, a dead one at that...:hammer:

Well at least I don’t go around making up trumped up stories that my "imagineer" friend gave me, and post them as "FACT".

And if you don’t like it... go back to your site... problem solved, bye. :wave:

Oh... and I fixed my sig.... jerk! :mad:

Ya might wanna tell MKT and the others that are over 5 lines long to change theirs to.... (Technically it was not 5 lines) :mad:

Bill

Account Suspended
No comment. Though I think that was uncalled for. And I counted your sig. It had 6 lines of text, plus the quote box and spaces.

niteobsrvr

http://www.state.fl.us/rcid/about.html

This pretty much explains how the district works and how its officials are elected.

As you read through it, you will notice that the supervisors are elected by the landowners in the district just like the rest of us elect council members, mayors, etc.

Disney does not own the government just as you or I do not own our cities. They jsut happen to be large enough to significantly affect the candidacy for various positions.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Bill
No comment. Though I think that was uncalled for. And I counted your sig. It had 6 lines of text, plus the quote box and spaces.

Well goodie.... Kudos to you and your counting skills. (though I think you are a bit off)

I just counted the number of times you were banned.... :) :wave:

Tom

Beta Return
Holy ________ - what are your problems people?!?! Stop calling each other names, stop counting lines of signatures, stop bickering like 3-yr-olds!!! :lol:

And a big thanks to niteobsrvr for the link - excellent. That should leave NO question unanswered regarding RCID.

Woody13

Originally posted by edwardtc
That should leave NO question unanswered regarding RCID.

No, there are many questions about the RCID. However, if we honestly look at these questions, then the political issues will dominate the entire topic.

The progression of this topic is very predictable, so let's not go there.:animwink:

HeritageBoy

RCID Regulations

If anyone is interested in the real nuts and bolts of the RCID, I've published an independent study on the legal/political ramifications associated with Disney's ownership (voting rights, creative accounting, taxation, etc). You can post back here with an email address to send it to.

As to the topic at hand, the 1967 law is not tied to Disney specifically (no mention of any corporate entity, as this falls under a Florida statute for establishing a water management district). Therefore any transference of ownership to another company (in this hypothetical situation) would not make any difference in the power to elect the board of supervisors (the governing board), as the percentage of votes are calculated based upon land ownership. The only means to amend the law would be through the Florida Circuit court (which put restrictions on Disney just before Celebration was built), or to repeal the act as is.

Just to make myself clear: this issue is not about politics (and not to cause an issue for Eeyore) - it’s about simple interpretation of the law. If you would like an actual copy of the 1967 Act, just contact the RCID.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom