KBLovedDisney

Now do Cabana Bay Beach Resort.....
Challenge accepted...

la-madrastra-esteban.gif

That...is...just...

Wow.

That hurts.

Piebald

Hmm...I dunno. I live in the St. Louis area and I just looked up on Expedia the cost of a rt airfare to Tokyo, just slightly less than $1,700. I flew to MCO in October for under $150 rt and stayed at a Comfort Inn near Universal for $70/night. My entire week at WDW, including airfare, tickets, hotel, rental car, etc., wasn't more than around $1,000.
Randomly looking up flights to a country currently not open to tourists doesnt make much sense though does it? There are sometimes flights to Tokyo RT for 300-500 bucks. Factor in the same timeframes (4
I go to Japan from the US every year and never saw a ticket to Tokyo for less than about $1500. The park tickets in Japan are cheaper, but Tokyo isn’t exactly a budget vacation. I stay at the Ritz there, but unless you’re doing a very minimal hotel in Tokyo, it’s,going to cost you. Coke is $7 with no free refills many places there.

I agree WDW has gotten out of control, but traveling abroad is still way more expensive.

I go to Japan from the US every year and never saw a ticket to Tokyo for less than about $1500. The park tickets in Japan are cheaper, but Tokyo isn’t exactly a budget vacation. I stay at the Ritz there, but unless you’re doing a very minimal hotel in Tokyo, it’s,going to cost you. Coke is $7 with no free refills many places there.

I agree WDW has gotten out of control, but traveling abroad is still way more expensive.
We flew from MCO to DFW to NRT for ~500pp a few years ago. Stayed at a cheaper Disney hotel while at Disney and a very economic but decent hotel in Shinjuku. It was a chain the name escapes me. Sure its not cheap but with research and planning its not outrageous depending where you fly out of.

RoadiJeff

Randomly looking up flights to a country currently not open to tourists doesnt make much sense though does it? There are sometimes flights to Tokyo RT for 300-500 bucks. Factor in the same timeframes (4

We flew from MCO to DFW to NRT for ~500pp a few years ago. Stayed at a cheaper Disney hotel while at Disney and a very economic but decent hotel in Shinjuku. It was a chain the name escapes me. Sure its not cheap but with research and planning its not outrageous depending where you fly out of.
If you cannot fly to Tokyo then it makes no sense trying to compare the cost of flying there vs a vacation at WDW. Even at $500 for a rt flight to Tokyo I could fly to Orlando and spend a week at WDW for less than the total cost of a week in Tokyo and their Disney park. I just looked on Expedia and rt airfare to MCO is as low as $73 right now.

Screenshot 2021-12-16 at 17-08-15 STL to MCO flights.png

wutisgood

If you cannot fly to Tokyo then it makes no sense trying to compare the cost of flying there vs a vacation at WDW. Even at $500 for a rt flight to Tokyo I could fly to Orlando and spend a week at WDW for less than the total cost of a week in Tokyo and their Disney park. I just looked on Expedia and rt airfare to MCO is as low as $73 right now.

View attachment 607834
Yes ticket prices are really cheap to orlando from many places an certainly many people can budget around disney on site prices for hotels outside the parks as well. But the point is that disney world prices going up so much are at least opening up something like tokyo as an option for many people. Some people would never fly spirit. Some people live in places where the difference in price is much greater than others to tokyo. Some people might view tokyo transit to disney from a nearby hotel as much better than on site at disney world. Some people might put a higher value on the service in tokyo or the nearby attractions also accessible without a car.

Also people put a premium on overseas travel and would prefer to go to tokyo over disney world for just a bit more money. Japan is also much better for solo travelers.

bryanfze55

I would never fly Spirit Airlines for the record.

Domestic flights from STL to Orlando have increased significantly for non-budget airlines. I can’t speak to whether or not they’ve increased significantly for international travel, but I do know I’ve rarely seen a flight to Europe or Japan from STL or Chicago for much less than $1,000/person round trip during the summer months. Disney isn’t cheap, but neither is international travel. The more people you’re flying, the latter will generally be more expensive.

John park hopper

My son is leaving for WDW tomorrow with the wife and 2 boys 3 and 4 they are staying offsite (Disney Springs) and with his hotel rewards points and diamond club member lodging is costing him --zip. So for them this is affordable otherwise it would not be. Disney is ridiculously expensive now and forever shall be so says the lord====BOB

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

I would never fly Spirit Airlines for the record.

Domestic flights from STL to Orlando have increased significantly for non-budget airlines. I can’t speak to whether or not they’ve increased significantly for international travel, but I do know I’ve rarely seen a flight to Europe or Japan from STL or Chicago for much less than $1,000/person round trip during the summer months. Disney isn’t cheap, but neither is international travel. The more people you’re flying, the latter will generally be more expensive.
I've also never been able to get these Uber cheap deals internationally either but like you I don't fly spirit or frontier.

I have a flight to Iceland in February, got that for 948.00 before tax. Greece is ridiculous $1,600 pp for this summer.

Lol my parents complained about how expensive Disney was in the late 70's so again I missed this golden age at wdw when everyone who wanted to go could. Our first trip as a family was late 90's it was expensive

Lilofan

My son is leaving for WDW tomorrow with the wife and 2 boys 3 and 4 they are staying offsite (Disney Springs) and with his hotel rewards points and diamond club member lodging is costing him --zip. So for them this is affordable otherwise it would not be. Disney is ridiculously expensive now and forever shall be.
That's a good location. One can walk to Disney Springs from Hotel Plaza Blvd where the offsite hotels are located.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
@JoeCamel

Go price shop off property hotels. Outside of the lull right after New Years, rates are crazy. Can’t even get a Hampton for under 180.

I got worried so I booked my six Uni trips for next year all in one shot. Cabana at $148, Cabana again at $131, Aventura at $136, Sapphire twice (one at$181, the other $254) and Royal Pacific at $352. Right now they all seem like steals.

Ayn

Just returned from our annual 10 day vacation to Florida and we won't be back for the Disney portion for a long time unless prices/attitude change.

We got a great flight, great off site giant condo with kitchen/living and laundry at Bonnet Creek but the Disney prices were out of control. With the worst staffing/attitudes ever. The poor staff had to field constant complaints about lightning lanes/ride waits I don't blame them for being grumpy. It was far, far from magical. We ignored Genie as it added nothing to our experience. No lightning lane because we just could not make ourselves pay for 4 people to get on rides we used to get on with a fast pass. It just hurts too much to even think of going again I am so, so sad.

Phil12

If you're a huge Disney fan I'd suggest you take advantage of the bargain prices at WDW while they're still available. I will assure you that this coming year and for the next several years, prices will increase dramatically across property. As J.P. Morgan said, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it."

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If you're a huge Disney fan I'd suggest you take advantage of the bargain prices at WDW while they're still available. I will assure you that this coming year and for the next several years, prices will increase dramatically across property. As J.P. Morgan said, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it."

Since the Fed is going to stop suppressing interest rates very soon in an attempt to reign in inflation they caused, that'll increase our income more than enough. Have you tried to find a CD of any term that actually had returns greater than one percent in the past four years ?

Phil12

Since the Fed is going to stop suppressing interest rates very soon in an attempt to reign in inflation they caused, that'll increase our income more than enough. Have you tried to find a CD of any term that actually had returns greater than one percent in the past four years ?
Actually, I've never tried to purchase a certificate of deposit in my life. I prefer no load composite index mutual funds such as those available from Vanguard and Fidelity. Vanguard is the largest Disney shareholder with 7.5% of shares as of November, 2021.

And frankly, I wish that the Fed had been the cause of inflation, but they had nothing to do with it. Nor can they fix it with interest rate hikes. As I advised, take advantage of the current Disney prices while you can because they're going up.

1640187526022.png

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Actually, I've never tried to purchase a certificate of deposit in my life. I prefer no load composite index mutual funds such as those available from Vanguard and Fidelity. Vanguard is the largest Disney shareholder with 7.5% of shares as of November, 2021.

And frankly, I wish that the Fed had been the cause of inflation, but they had nothing to do with it. Nor can they fix it with interest rate hikes. As I advised, take advantage of the current Disney prices while you can because they're going up.

CDs have never broken the dollar. So you believe that expanding the money supply to distribute to voters without any economic inputs isn't inflationary gasoline? There are stocks that have better returns and growth than Disney.

Phil12

CDs have never broken the dollar. So you believe that expanding the money supply to distribute to voters without any economic inputs isn't inflationary gasoline? There are stocks that have better returns and growth than Disney.
The primary driver for our current inflation has been the pandemic. Lots of basic consumer items (toilet paper, toys, furniture, etc.) have been in very short supply. Supply goes down and demand goes up and inflation hits.

I certainly agree with you that Disney stock is not the best for returns and growth. But Disney is only one of a large number of a diversified group of investments. I keep an old share of WorldCom, Inc. prominently displayed in my office to remind me that any company can fail at any time. By the time us peons in the peanut gallery find out, it's too late for us to recover.

I am fortunate because I'm in a position that allows me to have a lot of risk tolerance. But of course, I'm sure you know that everyone's risk tolerance is different. The inflationary pressures we're seeing now will allow Disney to make more money. Bob Chapek has taken an old washed up wrestler (formerly known as Flex Kavana) and turned him into a box office star despite the fact that Flex apparently went to the Johnny Weissmuller school of acting. Chapek put the movie in theaters and is streaming it on Disney + simultaneously.

And now Chapek has Jungle Cruise 2 in production. Chapek knows there is no end to this flimflammery. However, just because Bob Chapek is a business genius doesn't mean that I'm going to go all in on Disney stock. This kind of magic can stop at any time. For now, Disney has a well earned place in my diversified holdings.

Disstevefan1

The primary driver for our current inflation has been the pandemic. Lots of basic consumer items (toilet paper, toys, furniture, etc.) have been in very short supply. Supply goes down and demand goes up and inflation hits.

I certainly agree with you that Disney stock is not the best for returns and growth. But Disney is only one of a large number of a diversified group of investments. I keep an old share of WorldCom, Inc. prominently displayed in my office to remind me that any company can fail at any time. By the time us peons in the peanut gallery find out, it's too late for us to recover.

I am fortunate because I'm in a position that allows me to have a lot of risk tolerance. But of course, I'm sure you know that everyone's risk tolerance is different. The inflationary pressures we're seeing now will allow Disney to make more money. Bob Chapek has taken an old washed up wrestler (formerly known as Flex Kavana) and turned him into a box office star despite the fact that Flex apparently went to the Johnny Weissmuller school of acting. Chapek put the movie in theaters and is streaming it on Disney + simultaneously.

And now Chapek has Jungle Cruise 2 in production. Chapek knows there is no end to this flimflammery. However, just because Bob Chapek is a business genius doesn't mean that I'm going to go all in on Disney stock. This kind of magic can stop at any time. For now, Disney has a well earned place in my diversified holdings.
TWDC does not need any excuses such as the pandemic and/or inflation to raise its prices, they just raise prices whenever they want for whatever reason or no reason at all.

Hold on to your share of WorldCom as a souvenir. TWDC and it’s theme parks are invincible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom