Coronavirus impact on DVC

ifan

I said I will not argue with strangers again. Read my posts. It dies more quickly in heat and humidity. IT CAN BE TRANSMITTED STILL. Can I make that more clear? It's not foolish when it's being studied and research is showing like all coronavirus strands, it doesn't live as long in certain temps. Read the studies. It does not mean you cannot ignore warnings or that you cannot get sick where it is hot and humid. And killed by suntan lotion? Come on.

Seriously so confused why people do not read whole posts and arguing things that aren't said.

Please don't quote me again on this. I'm over it since people pick and choose what to read and twist it to be words I never said.

You're correct - don't worry about others not being able to understand intricacies of a statement. The virus obviously still spreads in hot/humid places, but it spreads at a lower rate due to not staying alive on surfaces or in air for a longer period of time. No studies have determined yet what that lower rate actually is, but it likely lowers the R0 by a decent %. Takes longer for a community spread to occur. I think Australia was a great example of this. It exists there, but in much lower numbers than it probably should considering the high number of European and Chinese travelers.

Not everything in life is binary. :) I believe the numbers in Florida would be much worse with different climate like Detroit, Chicago, Boston, etc.

correcaminos

You're correct - don't worry about others not being able to understand intricacies of a statement. The virus obviously still spreads in hot/humid places, but it spreads at a lower rate due to not staying alive on surfaces or in air for a longer period of time. No studies have determined yet what that lower rate actually is, but it likely lowers the R0 by a decent %. Takes longer for a community spread to occur. I think Australia was a great example of this. It exists there, but in much lower numbers than it probably should considering the high number of European and Chinese travelers.

Not everything in life is binary. :) I believe the numbers in Florida would be much worse with different climate like Detroit, Chicago, Boston, etc.
Thanks! I agree that numbers in some places I think would be worse if climates would be different. Some locations are worse off they think due to the climate being favorable as well. There is a lot to study with viruses as a whole and it's kind of interesting to me to read and understand.

amariano

Two questions...
1 - Any idea what week they are up to on DVC automatic resort cancellations?
2 - Anyone know if it is possible that they would open up resorts if WDW parks are not open?

nickys

Premium Member
Two questions...
1 - Any idea what week they are up to on DVC automatic resort cancellations?
2 - Anyone know if it is possible that they would open up resorts if WDW parks are not open?

2. There is a lot of speculation that they might open the resorts first. It would make sense, there are probably enough DVC members who would book a resort-only stay, even just to get away for a few days. Equally though there is debate about whether Disney will open only a few resorts; if they only open some can they do that with DVC resorts? I guess everyone can use their points since it would be short notice so within the 7 month window.

Club Cooloholic

2. There is a lot of speculation that they might open the resorts first. It would make sense, there are probably enough DVC members who would book a resort-only stay, even just to get away for a few days. Equally though there is debate about whether Disney will open only a few resorts; if they only open some can they do that with DVC resorts? I guess everyone can use their points since it would be short notice so within the 7 month window.
As DVC owners, I think we would all rather they keep it all closed or open it all up. I don't think we want to be on the hook to use points and then not have a park to go to.

nickys

Premium Member
As DVC owners, I think we would all rather they keep it all closed or open it all up. I don't think we want to be on the hook to use points and then not have a park to go to.

There are a lot of owners on other forums who would be quite happy to have a resort stay. Many owners already do mainly resort stays, with maybe a day or two in the parks during a week. Obviously many want the parks open, but if the closure is longer (which I’m sure it will be), any kind of vacation will be a tonic to some.

Club Cooloholic

There are a lot of owners on other forums who would be quite happy to have a resort stay. Many owners already do mainly resort stays, with maybe a day or two in the parks during a week. Obviously many want the parks open, but if the closure is longer (which I’m sure it will be), any kind of vacation will be a tonic to some.
That's fine for those owners, but personally if the parks are still closed because of COVID I don't want to risk infection by swimming in a pool with dozens of other people, or taking a plane just for the pleasure of sleeping in Orlando. Not to mention the horrible precident that sets. The last thing I want is to think of DVC owners being trapped and forced to soften a finanical blow or used as Guinea pigs in social distancing rules because points are expiring. Open it all or keep it all closed IMO.
(Please understand I don't care about the parks per say, my thinking is if they arent safe, I don't think hotels are either.
You need a vacation, grab a tent and go camping.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

That's fine for those owners, but personally if the parks are still closed because of COVID I don't want to risk infection by swimming in a pool with dozens of other people, or taking a plane just for the pleasure of sleeping in Orlando. Not to mention the horrible president that sets. The last thing I want is to think of DVC owners being trapped and forced to soften a blow or used as Guinea pigs in social distancing rules because points are expiring. Open it all or keep it all closed IMO.
(Please understand I don't care about the parks per section, my thinking is of they arent safe, I don't think hotels are either.

lol,i went camping once in the Adirondacks, I'll risk covid-19 first (JUST KIDDING).

I'm totally with you on this, Open it all or keep it all closed.

So question, my reservation is not until August but I think I'm going to bail. Does the new policy apply to any cancellation or simply those coming up within the next one or two months.

nickys

Premium Member
lol,i went camping once in the Adirondacks, I'll risk covid-19 first (JUST KIDDING).

I'm totally with you on this, Open it all or keep it all closed.

So question, my reservation is not until August but I think I'm going to bail. Does the new policy apply to any cancellation or simply those coming up within the next one or two months.

Which new policy? The returning borrowed points to their original year? I know people have done that for July, not sure about later than that. But keep an eye on your banking window too.

correcaminos

That's fine for those owners, but personally if the parks are still closed because of COVID I don't want to risk infection by swimming in a pool with dozens of other people, or taking a plane just for the pleasure of sleeping in Orlando. Not to mention the horrible precident that sets. The last thing I want is to think of DVC owners being trapped and forced to soften a finanical blow or used as Guinea pigs in social distancing rules because points are expiring. Open it all or keep it all closed IMO.
(Please understand I don't care about the parks per say, my thinking is if they arent safe, I don't think hotels are either.
I think part of the idea of partial opening is to see what can be done and to ramp up staff and such. It's not all just about safety when it comes to things like this. Yes there is that aspect, but you cannot just open without some training and such. The hotels have skeletal staff from what I understand to make sure it is well cared for. Easier to open a hotel than a park.

Chlorine and Bromine kill coronavirus though per studies I read though. Just an FYI on that part lol

Club Cooloholic

I think part of the idea of partial opening is to see what can be done and to ramp up staff and such. It's not all just about safety when it comes to things like this. Yes there is that aspect, but you cannot just open without some training and such. The hotels have skeletal staff from what I understand to make sure it is well cared for. Easier to open a hotel than a park.

Chlorine and Bromine kill coronavirus though per studies I read though. Just an FYI on that part lol
Im sure it does, but it wont help me if guy sneezes next to me in a hot tub. Wont help me if someone infected uses the railing by the stairs to get in and then I use it. If anything they should reopen the hotels first, because daily cleaning is baked in, and people who choose to book that are actually choosing to be there and spend their money, and they can decide to limit the amount of rooms. I guess a compromise would be to have a set limit of rooms for DVC properties and allow members to decide if they want to go or not, but if you don't I think the only fair thing would be to extend out for a year, ownership.

seascape

Im sure it does, but it wont help me if guy sneezes next to me in a hot tub. Wont help me if someone infected uses the railing by the stairs to get in and then I use it. If anything they should reopen the hotels first, because daily cleaning is baked in, and people who choose to book that are actually choosing to be there and spend their money, and they can decide to limit the amount of rooms. I guess a compromise would be to have a set limit of rooms for DVC properties and allow members to decide if they want to go or not, but if you don't I think the only fair thing would be to extend out for a year, ownership.
Daily housekeeping actually increases the chances of spreading diseases. If you and your family are the only ones in your room no one else can contaminate your room. Wash your hands and face as soon as you come in. If you are in a DVC, change your clothes and do a nightly load of laundry.

Club Cooloholic

Daily housekeeping actually increases the chances of spreading diseases. If you and your family are the only ones in your room no one else can contaminate your room. Wash your hands and face as soon as you come in. If you are in a DVC, change your clothes and do a nightly load of laundry.
Very true, but they better include all the cleaning supplies.
Has there been any word on what they are doing with expiring points that were part of a reservation with a use year of March? There has to have been some cancelled bookings that fall under this situation.

DisDadWoz

Is there any possibility that DVC updates the policy on the points not used for a cancelled trip? We were past our time to bank the points and likely not going to be able to schedule a trip by the time our use year starts up again. If not we're SOL but was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors.

correcaminos

If he sneezes on you dunk immediately lol

Remember daily cleaning is not baked in for DVC though. Limiting rooms I am not sure would go over well. Would make 11 month booking a requirement

Is there any possibility that DVC updates the policy on the points not used for a cancelled trip? We were past our time to bank the points and likely not going to be able to schedule a trip by the time our use year starts up again. If not we're SOL but was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors.
Right now SOL. But... some who complained a bunch about how unfair it was got a response that they are considering all options. A canned response but who knows

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Being out of country, we also depend on when international non-essential flights resume. We usually stay on our DVC membership once or twice a year for 8 nights.

We see ourselves staying at the resort for a couple of days, not during a whole week. A vacation where I'm having to do laundry every day doesn't sound very appealing to me either.

We're getting tired of being under lockdown and would love to be able to travel and relax for a few days, when it's safe to do so, but we don't see much value in using our DVC points for just a resort stay at WDW, if that's all we'd be able to do.

Rob562

This is where the set-end-date of the DVC points model falls short. If it were an open-ended timeframe, you could (in theory) extend points into the future more easily, since there's future capacity to absorb that. But DVC has a more rigid structure where each set of points is only good for a maximum of 3 years (actual use-year plus bank/borrow before and after). If you override that set structure you create a wave of banked points rippling forward through time that will eventually crash into the wall at the end of the DVC contract, creating shortages and unusable points in that final year or two of the contract where supply of points outweighs available room inventory and people lose out.

The only two solutions I see are 1) those who lose points are SOL, sorry life isn't always fair; or 2) DVC explores their options to extend the end date of all contracts by an equal number of days that the resorts are unavailable, thereby creating the available inventory in the system for all owners to be able to use their points.

Obviously option 1 is the worse choice both from a guest standpoint and a PR optics standpoint. Option 2 would be the preferable option, but not knowing the timeshare laws of Florida I don't know how difficult, or even if, such a plan is doable. The contracts that all DVC owners signed may not allow the flexibility to do so. Or it would be something that owners would have to vote on. (Not being a DVC owner, how do owners get a say in how DVC is run, changes and bylaws and stuff? I only have experience with my family's traditional week-based timeshare)

-Rob

Club Cooloholic

This is where the set-end-date of the DVC points model falls short. If it were an open-ended timeframe, you could (in theory) extend points into the future more easily, since there's future capacity to absorb that. But DVC has a more rigid structure where each set of points is only good for a maximum of 3 years (actual use-year plus bank/borrow before and after). If you override that set structure you create a wave of banked points rippling forward through time that will eventually crash into the wall at the end of the DVC contract, creating shortages and unusable points in that final year or two of the contract where supply of points outweighs available room inventory and people lose out.

The only two solutions I see are 1) those who lose points are SOL, sorry life isn't always fair; or 2) DVC explores their options to extend the end date of all contracts by an equal number of days that the resorts are unavailable, thereby creating the available inventory in the system for all owners to be able to use their points.

Obviously option 1 is the worse choice both from a guest standpoint and a PR optics standpoint. Option 2 would be the preferable option, but not knowing the timeshare laws of Florida I don't know how difficult, or even if, such a plan is doable. The contracts that all DVC owners signed may not allow the flexibility to do so. Or it would be something that owners would have to vote on. (Not being a DVC owner, how do owners get a say in how DVC is run, changes and bylaws and stuff? I only have experience with my family's traditional week-based timeshare)

-Rob
I know a little about law and would say that charging someone for a service or good that is never provided is frowned upon. I dont see why they could not just extend the years out and or refund maintenance fees to those whose bookings were effected and unable to rebook(points expire).

nickys

Premium Member
I know a little about law and would say that charging someone for a service or good that is never provided is frowned upon. I dont see why they could not just extend the years out and or refund maintenance fees to those whose bookings were effected and unable to rebook(points expire).

If they extend it would have to be for everyone, whether affected or not. And you would be “rewarded” by having to pay maintenance fees for an extra year.

Rebating some of the MFs could be possible. But non-DVC timeshares are dealing with this in a simple way. If you lost your week, you’re SOL. Isn’t it part of the ownership that you deal with it, like if you own a beach condo and cannot get there currently. 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom