Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have an acquaintance that caught covid when it first came out. This individual religiously gives blood. 18 months later is still showing robust antigen content.
My guess is if they open the doors to allow exceptions for people who had natural covid they would at a minimum require a certain level of antibodies. If that’s the case it will be another whine fest where people will insist they had Covid and should get the exemption even if they show no or not enough anti-bodies. Who sets the level of anti-bodies needed? If we require a booster in the future would all those people need to get the booster in the future too or would there just be a time limit on natural immunity too?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And I who had it 2/20 showed little in 7/20. Anecdotes just show there is no absolute withbthis crap so we react as circumstances warrant. There are no absolutes but we can do actions that shade our results to the positive side of the equation.
This is basically my point on natural immunity. I think it would be OK to allow exceptions with a certain level of anti-bodies but I think that just leads to bigger gripes and people complaining even more. It’s a slippery slope where proof of vaccination is pretty easy to provide

LittleBuford

Finally! Something we can agree on. People who refuse to be vaccinated (who are able to be vaccinated) have made their choice. That choice is possible death.
Is this how you and others feel about those who develop cancer after years of smoking, or those in need of medical attention for being morbidly obese?

I feel a bit homeless in this thread, stuck between those who are trying to downplay COVID and those who seem to have developed a rabid hatred for the unvaccinated.

TrainsOfDisney

I feel a bit homeless in this thread, stuck between those who are trying to downplay COVID and those who seem to have developed a rabid hatred for the unvaccinated.
I’m with you. It’s really sad how this has completely divided the nation instead of uniting it. We should all be united together to save lives. That includes the lives of unvaccinated who need treatment. It also includes doing simple things like wearing a mask and distancing when going out in public settings.

Timmay

Is this how you and others feel about those who develop cancer after years of smoking, or those in need of medical attention for being morbidly obese?

280612CD-EDD1-4692-ADF3-C7E7A6E6D3E5.gif

Virtual Toad

There has to be a common middle ground. In this case, responsible public vaccination policy; vaccine passports/testing requirements for crowded venues; a genuine, sincere, enthusiastic and concerted effort from state and local leaders across all 50 states to encourage folks to get vaccinated, including widespread and ongoing vaccination drives and outreach; responsible mitigation strategies in schools and crowded places; and insurance incentives/penalties for vaccinated/unvaccinated citizens (either or both) all seem like reasonable ways to get through this as quickly as possible with compassion *and* resolve.

sullyinMT

That would be unethical and callous.
https://apnews.com/article/business...ndemic-idaho-db21f9a14254996144e78aafb1518259

So is the decision to remain unvaccinated at this point. The people of northern Idaho are denying care to their friends and neighbors in the name of personal choice. What is the answer? How should an overburdened health system respond? I was recently told of a child who couldn’t get an emergent appendectomy in southern Oklahoma and had to be driven to North TX. Those unvaccinated neighbors were equally unethical and callous in their actions. Two wrongs don’t make a right, but I already admitted to being salty today.

Hospitals are being sued to proceed with unproven and sometimes counterproductive treatments like ivermectin. Or worse, receiving bomb threats over the untimely deaths of high profile community members. How are they to proceed? It feels, at times, that my colleagues are no longer heroes, but heels. Being sued for ivermectin, having human feces thrown in their direction because a patient is told they’re COVID positive. Like I said, I’m a little salty today. But the sun will rise tomorrow, and someday this pandemic will pass.

JoeCamel

This is basically my point on natural immunity. I think it would be OK to allow exceptions with a certain level of anti-bodies but I think that just leads to bigger gripes and people complaining even more. It’s a slippery slope where proof of vaccination is pretty easy to provide
I'm not sure we can test accurately in a cost effective way to set a level

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not sure we can test accurately in a cost effective way to set a level
Good point. I don’t really know. That could be another reason not to include it. I think what they won’t/can’t do is take people’s word for it. I think some who oppose the mandates want an exception for anyone who says they have already had covid without any real proof. That’s just creating a loophole that is guaranteed to be exploited.

JoeCamel

Good point. I don’t really know. That could be another reason not to include it. I think what they won’t/can’t do is take people’s word for it. I think some who oppose the mandates want an exception for anyone who says they have already had covid without any real proof. That’s just creating a loophole that is guaranteed to be exploited.
I know when I was tested it was about 75% reliable, not great but I would think they have improved the test since. I'm sure a full lab could prove it down to the last molecule but that takes time and $$$$

LittleBuford

Those unvaccinated neighbors were equally unethical and callous in their actions.
The vast majority of unvaccinated people do not believe that they are at risk of being hospitalised with COVID. They are acting (or rather not acting) out of misguided fear and/or on the basis of disinformation. Frankly, I have more sympathy for them than I do for someone who knowingly chooses not to help a fellow human being.

I've mentioned my father's experience in ICU a few times on here, but I don't think I've brought up the fact that he was heavy smoker all his pre-COVID life, which of course played a huge role in the severity of his case. Should he have been turned away from the hospital because of his self-inflicted comorbidity? And while we're at it, should those who get COVID while on holiday at Disney be denied treatment because they decided to travel to Florida in the middle of a pandemic?

It's really not as black and white as some of you are making it seem.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There has to be a common middle ground. In this case, responsible public vaccination policy; vaccine passports/testing requirements for crowded venues; a genuine, sincere, enthusiastic and concerted effort from state and local leaders across all 50 states to encourage folks to get vaccinated, including widespread and ongoing vaccination drives and outreach; responsible mitigation strategies in schools and crowded places; and insurance incentives/penalties for vaccinated/unvaccinated citizens (either or both) all seem like reasonable ways to get through this as quickly as possible with compassion *and* resolve.
I think that is the common middle ground. It’s unfair to characterize everyone as either a covid denier or someone with hatred for the unvaccinated. The majority of the American public just wants this pandemic to be over with the least possible additional deaths and they believe vaccine mandates (like the workplace ones) and passports for large group venues are the best path to that end state. Supporting workplace mandates does not mean you hate the unvaccinated or want to punish them, it’s a means to an end. If people won’t freely choose to be vaccinated (we are going on 5 months now since the vaccine has been readily available) then the government and the rest of society has an obligation to do whatever it takes to encourage them. It’s in the best interest of the unvaccinated as well as the best interest of society. If we wanted to be punitive and divisive the government would just require people to be vaccinated. Instead efforts are being made to not force a vaccination. Offering a weekly test instead is a pretty large compromise for those who really don’t want to be vaccinated.

Vegas Disney Fan

What’s everyone’s thoughts? Trying to get back to something Disney related again.
I doubt the indoor mandate will disappear until the cases are consistently under 5% again. We went to WDW when masks were required everywhere and went to DL with indoor only and the difference was night and day, constantly having to wear a mask was very uncomfortable for me but having to wear it for short lengths of time didn’t bother me at all. I will be glad when they are gone again but the indoor only really isn’t that bad.
Let's not forget there are no international travelers in the parks presently.

We’ve been getting some international travel back recently in Vegas, I spoke with a very nice Australian couple last week at work, they were visiting family they hadn’t seen in nearly 2 years.

Why do they require both a positive PCR/antigen and antibody test? Shouldn't an antibody test alone be enough? I understand not going by just the PCR/antigen test due to false positives.
It said “or”, then said both must be within 90 days, I think you just need one, but whichever you get must be within 90 days.

(edited to add I read it again and maybe it is both… the wording is odd).

Last edited:

Club34

That would be unethical and callous.

My friend, our problems clearly run much deeper than covid. Covid is nothing compared to it, honestly. I thought the last 4 years of the political forum were bad. This place (which is likely just a reflection of the larger populace) is setting a new low. I'm floored really.

I would say this based on my own experience here and in the private forum, is that you can't even suggest a contrarian position or raise a question that goes against the narrative. While there may be those who are saying things just to downplay covid or the vaccine, some of us are simply questioning the plan or asking questions in general. And there is much to question all around the pandemic. That is evident here in these last few pages.

I am beginning to think that being homeless is right where I need to be. It's not comfortable to be sure but I will not abide some of this nonsense. And there is nothing righteous or 'right side of history' about any of the behavior you describe.

Well said, but this is not the general tone around here. It can be and has been in brief spurts when the either/or garbage subsides. But it is never sustained and this mirrors what is going on in real life.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I doubt the indoor mandate will disappear until the cases are consistently under 5% again. We went to WDW when masks were required everywhere and went to DL with indoor only and the difference was night and day, constantly having to wear a mask was very uncomfortable for me but having to wear it for short lengths of time didn’t bother me at all. I will be glad when they are gone again but the indoor only really isn’t that bad.

We’ve been getting some international travel back recently in Vegas, I spoke with a very nice Australian couple last week at work, they were visiting family they hadn’t seen in nearly 2 years.

It said “or”, then said both must be within 90 days, I think you just need one, but whichever you get must be within 90 days.
I agree on masks not being as bad as I thought they would be. The 5% factors into the OC recommendation so would be another strong indicator of a removal of the rule.

SteveAZee

I suppose it may be hatred... certainly frustration. For those morbidly obese, aside from them ever so slightly increasing insurance premiums for others, there's no direct impact on others. For smokers, there is second hand smoke and there are lots of rules around smoking... where you can, where you can't... who can buy them, how much they're taxed. The thing for me about COVID is that it's still unknown who's safe and who's not when you're out in the world, so you have assume everyone isn't and act accordingly (masks, distancing, etc) and the penalty for not doing it is injury or death to you or your loved ones. The odds are low, but they're not zero. If getting pricked in the arm once or twice and having a lousy day or two afterward is the price that's too steep for people to pay to get rid of the virus and return to some level of normal.... yes, it can be frustrating and I suppose that will lead someone to hate, since chronic frustration is exhausting.

EpcoTim

" Those that are unvaccinated pose no risk to the vaccinated beyond that of the common cold " August 2021 - Dr Marty Makary, Johns Hopkins ( aka - He's an idiot ).
What year were you elected to the National Academy of Medicine?

He’s smarter than you, by a long shot.

CaptainAmerica

On board with all of this except "responsible mitigation strategies in schools," because I assume they means masking children. We're the only developed country that makes kindergartners wear masks. Even Australia, which has been absolutely Draconian in their lockdown measures, does not mandate masks for young kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom