Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina_yankee

On the religious exemption front, I now get several calls a day from total strangers asking for a religious exemption. I‘ve had to put a policy on our church website stating our denomination’s position that all medically eligible should be vaccinated for the sake of the common good so we are unable to provide a religious exemption. We encourage those with concerns to consult their doctors.

Lilofan

NJ website draws a distinction between third dose and booster, with third dose needed for the immune-compromised, but a potential booster being for the genera public. I haven’t followed too closely, but is it likely the booster would at a different strength than the 3rd dose? If that’s the case, then “jumping the line” might not be a good idea.

I’m Moderna, so I’m definitely going to wait to see what is said about their need. Unfortunately, the local hospital where I got Moderna last January is now exclusively Pfizer, so I’ll have to track down a Moderna site when my time comes.
The Walgreens pharmacist advised me booster and third shot are completely the same dosage . This is regarding Moderna .

sullyinMT

NJ website draws a distinction between third dose and booster, with third dose needed for the immune-compromised, but a potential booster being for the genera public. I haven’t followed too closely, but is it likely the booster would at a different strength than the 3rd dose? If that’s the case, then “jumping the line” might not be a good idea.

I’m Moderna, so I’m definitely going to wait to see what is said about their need. Unfortunately, the local hospital where I got Moderna last January is now exclusively Pfizer, so I’ll have to track down a Moderna site when my time comes.
This kind of thing will be interesting to sort out as time goes on, and whether or not the immune compromised should get 3 AND a booster. Moderna is submitting data on 1/2 dose boosters and I’m not totally sure how Pfizer conducted their study.

For those getting dose 3 now, assuming they are consulting with a medical professional beforehand, I would hope that HR departments or universities are honoring their legitimate medical plan. Travel might get hairy for those folks until medical science comes to a standard of what “fully vaccinated” actually means.

Also, thank you for your action regarding exemptions.

SammyMF

Gaming the system is the American way. Well, actually the human way. We all do it for one reason or another. Can we fudge things to get what we want, hoping that we will get away with it. Especially taxes. Or fudging your home address so your kid will get into the school that you want. Which my mother did.

After much thought Im still on track for my early Oct WDW trip. My flight hasnt changed except by a few minutes. Its the one direct flight a day they have so I doubt they will cancel it. Still, I am crossing my fingers because there is no guarantee. But I got my shots a few months ago and I wont be bringing a family with me let alone kids. I will still be following good protection practices as I have been since Covid came around, mostly becoming second nature because of the job, for myself and others. Which is why I see all this bruhaha by various people pretty pathetic. People like myself do it for them so they can get their lunches or 6 pack of Coors. Recently a person in medical smocks came in without a mask (required indoors in this area), and when asked to put one on, he didnt. Stuff like that tends to reduce any faith in humanity I have left.

I'm not going to be bounding around Orlando or go off property, but that does not eliminate risk. But thats life. Its infinitely less riskier than not taking the shots and living in a high population area. I would get the booster as well but due to the timing that is not going to happen. Moderna likely isnt going to be approved for the general public before the hoped for 20th and I wouldnt qualify for the rumored 6-month requirement anyway.

One caveat is that there were two recent positive cases at work, one of them a bit over a week ago, and there is a small possibility of exposure for myself for one of them due to occasional proximity. The scuttlebutt is that this person did not get the vaccine, rumors being what they are, but who knows. No symptoms myself but getting a test, just in case, early this week anyways. Found that its hard to get a test without symptoms right now. Seems perhaps the talk of shortages is true.

Timmay

Lilofan

Then that pharmacist is wrong

This article is speculation and "considering " 1/2 the dosage. My bet is it will be the full dosage just like the pharmacist advised me.

ArmoredRodent

This article is speculation and "considering " 1/2 the dosage. My bet is it will be the full dosage just like the pharmacist advised me.
If it helps, here's the Sept. 1 50% news release from Moderna itself:

SammyMF

Previous link to this article is behind a USA Today paywall. But this is the same article on a Yahoo page. This is just another symptom of what America in general has denigrated into not just over this issue. When you dont get what you want, seriously threaten people or worse, until you do. All the while encouraged by so-called leaders. Released on a misdemeanor? These idiots threatened kidnapping and were stupid enough to film it. Maybe they were hoping to get on whatever ultra-right website that would take it. This *father* instead of being concerned about whether or not his kid picked up Covid, all he cared about was getting his kid back into school and the rest be damned. This is probably the end of the story but I would be interested in what the mother thought.

Lilofan

Could be, but we won't know until after the fact.
A recipe for disaster are the ones who refuse to get the covid vaccine and the flu shot with the fall season coming upon us. Getting ill from two issues instead of one issue could be worse.

Last edited:

correcaminos

As far as I know they are testing more than one booster by all 3 in varying ways. I'm in the 3rd dose of the same. They are still enrolling for a Delta variant trial locally with Pfizer-BioNTech as well. So the answer is unknown at this time - or so I guess.

Are we actually discussing how to game the system and get an unapproved third dose? I mean, follow the science, right.

If I talk of 3rd doses to those who get them I don't condone gaming the system at this time. I know medical people getting them as study participants and immunocompromised as well. A regular person, as hard as it might be, should wait to find out. I'll give pass to medical workers in the covid wards who are worried admittedly. They really are a different subset in my mind. Though as a whole, nope, never talking jumping a line.

carolina_yankee

The Walgreens pharmacist advised me booster and third shot are completely the same dosage . This is regarding Moderna .

This kind of thing will be interesting to sort out as time goes on, and whether or not the immune compromised should get 3 AND a booster. Moderna is submitting data on 1/2 dose boosters and I’m not totally sure how Pfizer conducted their study.

For those getting dose 3 now, assuming they are consulting with a medical professional beforehand, I would hope that HR departments or universities are honoring their legitimate medical plan. Travel might get hairy for those folks until medical science comes to a standard of what “fully vaccinated” actually means.

Also, thank you for your action regarding exemptions.

I thought I had seen something about 1/2 strength But couldn’t remember for whom. I’m just going to wait until those with the credentials sort it out and then get what I should. My only frustration is that Moderna is a bit harder to find in NJ, but we are also ramping up for the anticipated boosters so I imagine it will get better.

I would imagine that that anyone currently vaccinated will still be considered fully vaccinated unless effectiveness drops well below 50%. Wasn’t 50% the threshold for FDA approval?

carolina_yankee

As far as I know they are testing more than one booster by all 3 in varying ways. I'm in the 3rd dose of the same. They are still enrolling for a Delta variant trial locally with Pfizer-BioNTech as well. So the answer is unknown at this time - or so I guess.
Yeah, the Delta variant part is also tricky - get the booster when it comes out or wait for results of Delta variant trial or assume that booster will be just fine if it’s released before the results of the variant trial So far, Delta free, so Moderna (or my cautions) are working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom