Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

Hey look at that another day of declining transmission. If you have a trip upcoming in September or October please don’t let the media influence your decision. Instead look at the raw data and follow the science.
And if I'm not mistaken, Florida doesn't even publish their case numbers on the weekend (or do they?). What's the source for "another day of declining transmission"?
There were ZERO case counts yesterday according to state "published" data. Covid is OVER!!!

Sigh...

Lilofan

I do not think it will be missed by many people. It was only around for what - 6 months or so? Question is just how long will Disney let it sit vacant before changing it to a new venue.
Looking for another third party vendor willing to take a chance in opening a business at Disney Springs.

Heppenheimer

So I was reading something last night. The big fear of hospitals being overrun is of course being denied treatment if you are ill, postponed surgeries, etc.

Just an ethical question for a Sunday :D - first wave, vaccines weren't available, people getting sick, etc. - this wave, vaccines ARE available and majority of hospitalized are unvaccinated - taking up the ICU beds.

How are they deciding who gets treatment and who doesn't?
I mean, are they actually turning away accident victims, heart attacks, strokes, etc.? If a patient presents to the ER according to EMTALA, patient must be at least stabilized no matter insurance status.
I realize there is no "Good" answer to this.

How does it work in Covid times? Who decides who gets to be treated?
And has it actually come to that anywhere yet?
Three words- triage, divert and/or transfer.

In normal times, patients sometimes stay in the hospital for a day or two extra while waiting on certain tests that couldn't earlier be arranged in a timely manner (echocardiograms are usually the big offenders here). In COVID times, if a patient has stabilized, and the attending decides there's a reasonable possibility that the test result won't change the near-term management, they may discharge the patient and set up the test in the ambulatory setting.

Or, another thing that often delays discharge is the patient disposition- meaning, where the patient goes after discharge. Often, rather than directly home, they may go to short term rehab to regain enough strength to allow them to safely return to the their own home. Sometimes, this process gets held up over insurance issues, or patient/family member objections to part or all of the plan, and the patient stays in the hospital for longer than they otherwise should. I suspect in a COVID-induced bed crunch, these discharges will be vastly sped up.

Either of these two options can free up more hospital capacity

Last edited:

Disney Experience

• Phase 1 safety and immunogenicity data in individuals who received a third dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine (BNT162b2) show a favorable safety profile and robust immune responses
  • The booster dose elicited significantly higher neutralizing antibody titers against the initial SARS-CoV-2 virus (wild type), and the Beta and Delta variants, compared to the levels observed after the two-dose primary series
  • After the booster dose, neutralizing titers for variants were similar to wild type
  • Given the high levels of immune responses observed, a booster dose given within 6 to 12 months after the primary vaccination schedule may help maintain a high level of protection against COVID-19

TrainsOfDisney

Anecdotal, but one of my friend's dad passed away from Covid last week and he received the J&J vaccine in May.
A sad and important reminder that masks and distancing should still be an important part of our lives right now.

There have been breakthrough cases and deaths with all of the vaccines. Supposedly your odds are a little better with Moderna.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hey look at that another day of declining transmission. If you have a trip upcoming in September or October please don’t let the media influence your decision. Instead look at the raw data and follow the science.
At its best, an ""effective"" R-naught number on a daily basis might be helpful when seen in conjunction with other stats.

At its worst, it is utter trash. And I wish you would stop posting this trash.

The R-naught measures the contagiousness of a infection. An R0 of 2.0 means that on average every infected person infects 2 others and you get that geometric spike in cases. An R0 of less than 1.0 means fewer and fewer people are getting infected with each generation of transmission, and the infection dies out.

An ""effective"" R0 calculates a snapshot of the rate of infection. And if the number of cases goes down even slightly, then crazy optimists, or politicized pundits, or the mathematical illiterate can declare "It's going away!!! The R0 is below 1.0!!!!"

That's not how contagions work. And that's not a true R0 number for the virus. We've talked on this thread a lot about how we measure the number of cases has issues, e.g., most of those tested are self-selected and not randomized.

And that's why a daily ""effective"" R0 number is trash.

I kinda mentioned that already the last time this trash graph was posted. Please stop it.

You wanna know how Florida's doing? Look at *all* the data and not a carefully sliced bit of data designed to make things look better than they are. For example...

1629136906760.png

maui2k7

I can only go off what people say on this website, since I didn't visit Disney Springs during the period it was open, but a lot of reports here noted that the NBA Experience always seemed mostly empty, even before COVID-19.
I think it was a short sighted decision to build it in the first place. With COVID still around, it was an opportunity to fold on an idea that was not very popular and overpriced.

Lilofan

I can only go off what people say on this website, since I didn't visit Disney Springs during the period it was open, but a lot of reports here noted that the NBA Experience always seemed mostly empty, even before COVID-19.
Make the closed off Disney Springs building an E sports arena competition building and watch thousands of gamers pack the attraction day and night. These gamers are fanatical of all things gaming. If you make the place 24/7, serious gamers play around the clock even eating their meals while playing. I believe Disney Quest was even open 9am - 1 am back in the day. That place was awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom