Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For businesses requiring proof of vaccination for entry, what are they accepting as proof? Are they using the vaccination cards that are filled out when you get the shot? Do you have to have two doses listed on the card? Do people with one J&J dose count, or are we outcasts? Because that's kind of how I feel.
Yes they're using the cards. And if they follow the CDC guidelines for vaccines that require two jabs there should be two jabs. And for all vaccines, it should be two weeks from the last or only shot.

Some states and countries are developing an app for that.

Heppenheimer

Yes they're using the cards. And if they follow the CDC guidelines for vaccines that require two jabs there should be two jabs. And for all vaccines, it should be two weeks from the last or only shot.

Some states and countries are developing an app for that.
I think US News and World Report has an online summary for states that are developing an app. It didn't seem most are in the process of doing so, but at least only a few outliers have outright banned the idea.

I was glad to see proposed legislation to ban vaccine passports failed in Vermont, but on the flip side, we're not actively pursuing the idea either.

Angel Ariel

The impact on kids is far more disastrous than a lot of people realize, I think.

I’ve been struggling for over a year to get my daughter mental health help. Because of her expressive communication disorder, everyone passes the buck to the next person, saying they can’t help her (when in reality they’ve decided they can’t before they have even tried).

It’s infuriating.

Angel Ariel

They're not sitting on it... what you hear from people is not the same as what those in this process feel. Not sure why anyone thinks they are. With the myocarditis that popped up in 12-17, they cannot risk a repeat. Globally that hurt the process. They don't want that again!

Pushing too fast will be catastrophic if something is missed.
I’m referring to comments that members of the FDA’s board responsible for approving EUA made in June after a meeting specifically about ages 5-11. Not random “people.”

As I said, I agree with you that I don’t want it done too fast. But there is urgency. As a parent of a child who is high risk, and yet who also desperately needs to be in school, she *needs* a vaccine ASAP.

Disney Experience

Well we know by studies that the Pfizer vaccine is about 84% effective after 6 months. We also know that it is highly effective against hospitalizations and death. With all that being said.. even with the big spike in Israel.. I would still say the reason we can’t get it under control IS still the people who don’t want to get the vaccine. Anti-vaxxers or not.
It’s attaching itself to the fresh warm bodies who in turn are making this a bigger mess then it really needs to be at this time.
Technically I believe the Phase 3 Pfizer study report had 84% at 4+ months ( before Delta was prevalent ). I linked the study a while back. Delta will make VE less than that. About a 3% drop per month was reported in study pre-delta.

Timmay

I’ve been struggling for over a year to get my daughter mental health help. Because of her expressive communication disorder, everyone passes the buck to the next person, saying they can’t help her (when in reality they’ve decided they can’t before they have even tried).

It’s infuriating.
That is sad. I’m sorry.

mmascari

I wish they would break down breakthrough hospitalizations by vaccine. Anecdotal reports suggest a higher than expected share of J&J but real data would be nice to have.
As someone who got the J&J, any news that even acknowledges it's existence is typically nice to hear. But, I don't think our media is capable of this type of reporting in a meaningful way. I suspect some science journal is more likely to publish a paper on it, but it'll be months after the fact. Perhaps useful for determining who needs a booster and what that booster should be. Months later because a research team will need to decide it's worth writing and then do all the data gathering.

I can see already see it now, something like a national number: We looked at 100 breakthrough cases, 45 were A, 40 B, and only 15 C.

Completely leaving out how they picked those 100. If they're all within the same area or just picked from wherever. It doesn't tell us much if 45% of breakthroughs are from A, if all the A examples are from an area that has say 90% of vaccinated people with A or if the area has high community spread. That 15 of C sounds great. But, what if it's because in the area studied there is almost nobody with C, mostly A and B. Then, even a low number for C would be bad.

Unless we're controlling for vaccine distribution and community spread, reporting on the percentages of breakthroughs of each vaccine is kind of meaningless. But, it would cause huge storms of people saying that need to get the one that's best.

They could do reporting like: In area X where 25% of vaccinated people got C, and C represents 25% of breakthrough cases. Which would tell us C is about the same as the comparison. Controlled for community spread and comparing vaccinated population to breakthrough population.

At least for about 10 minutes. Until the next publication took the data and wrote the meaningless stats creating hysteria about getting the vaccine that's the best. :(

CLEtoWDW

Hey look at that another day of declining transmission. If you have a trip upcoming in September or October please don’t let the media influence your decision. Instead look at the raw data and follow the science.

Attachments

• C3CCA296-A38B-44C0-B72E-193B35CCBB36.png
    C3CCA296-A38B-44C0-B72E-193B35CCBB36.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 115

TrainsOfDisney

Hey look at that another day of declining transmission. If you have a trip upcoming in September or October please don’t let the media influence your decision. Instead look at the raw data and follow the science.
One of my conservative friend tells me to follow the science and not the media. I showed her a scientific report with various studies on the efficacy of mask usage. She gave me an article from the Washington examiner as proof that I was wrong. Can’t make this up.

The science says that Florida is in bad shape right now and it would not be wise to travel there.

The science also says that if you do choose to travel to Florida you should be vacinated, wear a mask, and distance as much as possible.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current vaccination status for Orange County via Mayor Demings -

E86_fn7XEAM2HFH.jpg

The 14-day rolling positivity rate is 20.14%.

Demings notes that on Saturday and Sunday the county closed the drive-thru line at the Camping World vaccination center due to demand. He also says that this location will now only be giving out the Pfizer vaccine as they currently do not have a supply of J&J.

CLEtoWDW

One of my conservative friend tells me to follow the science and not the media. I showed her a scientific report with various studies on the efficacy of mask usage. She gave me an article from the Washington examiner as proof that I was wrong. Can’t make this up.

The science says that Florida is in bad shape right now and it would not be wise to travel there.

The science also says that if you do choose to travel to Florida you should be vacinated, wear a mask, and distance as much as possible.
The science is literally telling you that the rate of transmission is plummeting and will be below 1 by the end of the week. Why did you make this political? My original post simply stated the scientific facts of the current status of the virus. Nothing about politics, masks, or having conservative friends. Florida WAS in bad shape… they won’t be shortly.

mattpeto

Yup.

About to pull the plug on our Labor Day trip weekend.

lazyboy97o

Can you explain the math behind this? I don’t understand how you can have transmission being near 1 when new cases were rising so quickly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Current vaccination status for Orange County via Mayor Demings -

View attachment 580138

The 14-day rolling positivity rate is 20.14%.

Demings notes that on Saturday and Sunday the county closed the drive-thru line at the Camping World vaccination center due to demand. He also says that this location will now only be giving out the Pfizer vaccine as they currently do not have a supply of J&J.
Good news on vaccinations. It’s a shame it took this explosion of cases to get people motivated but I guess it’s a silver lining. Whatever it takes. The 65.27% is all eligible people not just adults. still need more but it’s good to see it going up.

Heppenheimer

There is absolutely zero context provided here. And the website your graph came from looks a bit suspicious when I typed the address into my browser.

And if I'm not mistaken, Florida doesn't even publish their case numbers on the weekend (or do they?). What's the source for "another day of declining transmission"?

hopemax

Don’t forget, Modernas shot has 3x the volume of Pfizer. I admit that I cannot find this for sure but, given Modena has more side effects one could assume that you get more mRNA then Pfizer. If that’s true then more spike proteins will be made causing a bigger immune response (explaining the bigger side effects) that perhaps produces a longer acting level of antibodies and T cells. Maybe.

Or because it was approved first and cold storage meant more Pfizer vaccine went to hospitals the people who got Pfizer in this country were older and had more chronic diseases (both known causes of decreased immune response) that you get quicker waning of the immune response. That said, my first thought, seems logical. I just wish I could definitively find out if Moderna did dose higher amounts of mRNA.
Yes, Pfizer is 30 micrograms and Moderna is 100 micrograms. (Googling those numbers in conjunction with the names, will pull up several articles)

Earlier on, against a previous variant, they talked about how there didn't seem to be a "benefit" to the higher dose. But either because of Delta, or the time + vax, we are starting to see there are differences between the two dosing levels. I think when people heard about the worse side effects from Moderna it scared people off, but since I am in Central Florida right now I'm glad my Dad and I both got Moderna.

CLEtoWDW

Can you explain the math behind this? I don’t understand how you can have transmission being near 1 when new cases were rising so quickly.
Cases will peak shortly as transmission continues to regress (as its doing right now). I’ll come back in about a week as case counts decline (just like they did in the UK) and we can pick up this discussion from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom