Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Now here is a stupid headline...

1617221864145.png

Disney Experience

Study released showing that patients with Chronic Inflammatory Disease who got either the Pfizer or Moderna shot had lower (But effective) immune response to the vaccine, and did not have major flare ups due to the vaccine. So that is good news. (Not that they had less immune response to the vaccine, but that it did not cause their chronic inflammatory disease to flare up (safety) and they did have enough immune response to the vaccine for it to be effective. (There was not thousands of subjects in the study, so conclusions of study applicability can be based accordingly to that constraint)

CatesMom

At risk of speaking for him I don’t think his point was the flu is worse then covid. It’s not.

his point was that the same people pointing in shrieking at many in here that choosing to drop some mitigation’s once vaccinated and or for other reasons, are the same people who will NOT be masking, socially isolating, and following other precautions during a normal flu season. Even though this past fall proved it WILL reduce flu cases, WILL reduce flu hospitalizations and WILL reduce flu deaths.
Actually, I would not be surprised to see the same mitigation practices followed if/when flu is rampant in the future.

MaryJaneP

temporary bridge. Reminds us of the bridge on the river kwai. so vaccines were meant so there are no other mitigation measures needed?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Agreed. I think what they mean is all states now have either expanded to the general public ready or announced a firm date when they will.

I don't believe that is even true. NJ has not announced a date, so it looks like the article is just going with the default May 1st.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
temporary bridge. Reminds us of the bridge on the river kwai. so vaccines were meant so there are no other mitigation measures needed?
Yes. If the vaccines are effective (they are) and enough people take them (yet to be seen) then we reach herd immunity and cases drop off and we return to normal. Mitigations like masks, distancing and capacity limits were intended to reduce the community spread when we had no other way to do it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't believe that is even true. NJ has not announced a date, so it looks like the article is just going with the default May 1st.
PA‘s date is May 1. They are working towards sooner but the Governor has formally announced we will hit that target date at a minimum. I think several other states are in the same boat.

edit: it looks like PA moved up to April 19. NJ is listed as May 1. Here‘s the list for each state:

Tom P.

I agree. And it's important to remember that those who want closer to 100% protection can always continue to wear masks. The masks, along with widespread vaccination, should keep them very safe.
That brings up an interesting question. Before the pandemic, there were many places of business were face coverings were not permitted for security reasons. You couldn't, for example, walk into a bank with a mask on. The usefulness of security cameras, for instance, is significantly decreased if you cannot see someone's face. Once the pandemic is over, I wonder if businesses will continue to allow people to wear masks if they choose to do so, or if they will go back to the pre-pandemic rules of no face coverings.

SamusAranX

We absolutely do make them pay in some cases. For example: Smoking. Insurers charge a premium on health insurance to smokers.

So I'm saying let's apply the same standard to Covid vaccination -- If you choose to smoke, thereby increasing public health costs, you have to pay extra. If you choose not to get vaccinated, thereby increasing public health costs, you have to pay extra.
I’m actually completely on board with that.

Tom P.

Luckily, many counties are smarter than our gop-stacked supreme court and will continue their own county-wide mask mandates.
It doesn't have anything to do with being smart or not. It has to do with following the law. I am not familiar with the laws of Wisconsin. But I don't think there is any question that many governors have overstepped their authority during this pandemic. Just because something is a good idea doesn't mean that you have the legal authority to do it, and once you start arguing that governors can do basically whatever they want because of an emergency, then you've in effect given them unchecked power.

For me, I would prefer that things longer than, say, 30 or 60 days come from the legislature rather than from the executive. They are the folks who are supposed to be making the rules. The executive is just supposed to be implementing them. Plus, I think too much power in the hands of a single individual tends to be a bad thing. Again, I'm not saying that there shouldn't have been mask mandates. I just think that once you get past a short-term emergency measure, those kinds of things should come from the legislature.

Chi84

Premium Member
That brings up an interesting question. Before the pandemic, there were many places of business were face coverings were not permitted for security reasons. You couldn't, for example, walk into a bank with a mask on. The usefulness of security cameras, for instance, is significantly decreased if you cannot see someone's face. Once the pandemic is over, I wonder if businesses will continue to allow people to wear masks if they choose to do so, or if they will go back to the pre-pandemic rules of no face coverings.
My guess is they'll go back to pre-pandemic rules. There was a reason for prohibiting masks; the pandemic superseded those reasons, but once it's under control, I expect those rules will return. Either that or bank robbers will have an additional tool in their belt.

HarperRose

It doesn't have anything to do with being smart or not. It has to do with following the law. I am not familiar with the laws of Wisconsin. But I don't think there is any question that many governors have overstepped their authority during this pandemic. Just because something is a good idea doesn't mean that you have the legal authority to do it, and once you start arguing that governors can do basically whatever they want because of an emergency, then you've in effect given them unchecked power.

For me, I would prefer that things longer than, say, 30 or 60 days come from the legislature rather than from the executive. They are the folks who are supposed to be making the rules. The executive is just supposed to be implementing them. Plus, I think too much power in the hands of a single individual tends to be a bad thing. Again, I'm not saying that there shouldn't have been mask mandates. I just think that once you get past a short-term emergency measure, those kinds of things should come from the legislature.
You're correct, you are in no way familiar with how WI politics have worked since early 2019. I'd love to educate you, but since the politics tags was removed for some reason, I'm unable to.

SamusAranX

The capacity clearly exists to administer over 200,000 shots per day in FL. Soon we should start seeing over 100,000 completed series on most days. Roughly 74% of people 65+ have been vaccinated. I'd be surprised if that demographic doesn't get well over 80% in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to see the acceptance rate in the younger demographics.
I’m taking it next Monday and I am encouraging all my friends to do so; there are still appointments open in my area

CatesMom

When has the government ever stopped people from shooting each other? Hell, they're the ones doing the shooting/killing (reminder that Breonna Taylor's state murderers are still roaming free).

I don't know what to tell you here. I wear my mask, I stayed at home to protect my family, and I got vaccinated. I'm sorry that I just don't feel like I'm important enough to force other people to do the same to so that I, personally, can feel safe. I respect your right to make your own choices too much. I guess that makes me "childish and immature"?

Also, to be more to the point. The government acting as an arbitrator to protect your right to live (i.e. not allowing me to walk up and shoot you for fun) is NOT even close to the same as the government demanding that someone puts a fluid into their body so that you can enjoy life on your terms. One protects your rights while the other infringes upon them.
Thank you for taking responsible steps to protect your health AND ALSO MINE. COVID is a community problem, and it will remain in our community until we work collectively to stamp it out. Every person who gets vaccinated and follows other mitigations protects not only themselves, but their immediate circle and the community at large. Unfortunately, kids -- a large part of the community -- can't be vaccinated yet. I am completely comfortable compelling adults to get vaccinated for kids' sake, even if they don't think they need the vaccine to protect themselves.

JoeCamel

I’m taking it next Monday and I am encouraging all my friends to do so; there are still appointments open in my area
If you are eligible in Florida (40+) there are plenty of vaccines to be had here on the west coast. Manatee county said this morning they have enough doses to cover everyone over 40 on their waiting list so come on down and sign up, the county is open. FEMA site is walk up and appointment so no reason not to get it. Less than 2 hours out of your life for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom