Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

A friend of mine is faculty at ND. According to him, most of the cases are because of 2 off campus parties (08/06 and 08/09) where masks and social distancing were not observed. Sad to hear.
Off the wall but perhaps the colleges can give incentives to students NOT to have these parties. Any off the wall idea should be on the table so these young people to play Russian roulette with their lives.

Heppenheimer

Off the wall but perhaps the colleges can give incentives to students NOT to have these parties. Any off the wall idea should be on the table so these young people to play Russian roulette with their lives.
What possible incentive can beat the allure of being packed with way too many people into a smelly, poorly ventilated 1970s apartment, loud music drowning out any chance of decent conversation, while drinking too much warm, flat Busch Lite from a plastic cup?

Granted, I graduated from that school over 20 years ago, so maybe things have changed. But for at least a generation, that seemed to be the midwestern Irish Catholic idea of a fun party.

Lilofan

What possible incentive can beat the allure of being packed with way too many people into a smelly, poorly ventilated 1970s apartment, loud music drowning out any chance of decent conversation, while drinking too much warm, flat Busch Lite from a plastic cup?

Granted, I graduated from that school over 20 years ago, so maybe things have changed. But for at least a generation, that seemed to be the midwestern Irish Catholic idea of a fun party.
I doubt those unisex bathrooms the drunken college kids use are rarely cleaned😒

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some have gone with the stick approach instead of the carrot and threatened expulsion for violations. I imagine you leave that off of your resume...completed 2 years at XYZ University, expelled for Covid partying, graduated from ABC University.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The majority of people are at the party to get drunk and/or hook up so the only incentive the University could provide to avoid parties is probably illegal except maybe at UNLV;););)

LukeS7

So I've actually been on the team involved in the contact tracing effort at the college that I work at and incentives has been something that's been brought up (nothing specific), but here's the thing: Even if we had opened fully, we were still anticipating at least a $5mil budget deficit. As it stands currently, we're doing virtual instruction only and limiting on-campus housing to only those in special circumstances and we're anticipating (last I heard) close to a $15mil deficit. There's no money to fund incentives.

DisneyDebRob

So I've actually been on the team involved in the contact tracing effort at the college that I work at and incentives has been something that's been brought up (nothing specific), but here's the thing: Even if we had opened fully, we were still anticipating at least a $5mil budget deficit. As it stands currently, we're doing virtual instruction only and limiting on-campus housing to only those in special circumstances and we're anticipating (last I heard) close to a $15mil deficit. There's no money to fund incentives.
So I’ve heard it’s so hard for the contact tracers to get full compliance in the real world. It must be virtually impossible for you in a college setting?

Lilofan

The majority of people are at the party to get drunk and/or hook up so the only incentive the University could provide to avoid parties is probably illegal except maybe at UNLV;););)
Sloppy and incoherent drunks don't follow the social distancing and masking up like they should. Anyway these are the future leaders of society.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 10.45.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 10.45.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 10.45.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 10.45.55 AM.png

LukeS7

So I’ve heard it’s so hard for the contact tracers to get full compliance in the real world. It must be virtually impossible for you in a college setting?
Essentially the team of tracers are going to be comprised student workers and staff from the on-campus health services. Most of the heavy lifting is going to be done via our app using QR codes, but it's very reliant on people actually scanning into the buildings/rooms

Touchdown

Numbers are starting to look good on the new case front, as stated death is a lagging indicator. It tells you how bad the last 2 months has been. Hopefully it starts moving down soon, but with how long Florida takes to report deaths, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom