Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

The number of COVID-19 patients at AdventHealth hospitals has “grown significantly over the last week,” so the system is redeploying medical staff to deal with the surge, it said in an email to staff obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.
The hospital system has declared a “Phase 2 emergency” that will allow emergency privileging for medical staff to assist where needed, and it has increased nighttime staffing on multiple campuses, said the email sent Tuesday night.
“As we predicted in May, the Central Florida area is experiencing a surge in COVID-19 admissions,” the email said. “... We are identifying additional needs and potential sources for additional clinicians in the coming weeks.”
The number of hospitalized patients has been steadily growing in the past several weeks, following the phased reopening of the state.
As of Wednesday morning, 10 ICUs were at full capacity at hospitals across Central Florida, twice the number of full ICUs on Monday.
Great news! Right?

LukeS7

It isn't my hypothesis. Below clip from the CDC

"Available modeling data indicate that early, short to medium closures do not impact the epi curve of COVID-19 or available health care measures (e.g., hospitalizations). There may be some impact of much longer closures (8 weeks, 20 weeks) further into community spread, but that modelling also shows that other mitigation efforts (e.g., handwashing, home isolation) have more impact on both spread of disease and health care measures. In other countries, those places who closed school (e.g., Hong Kong) have not had more success in reducing spread than those that did not (e.g., Singapore). "
You're not even trying at this point. You selectively clipped part of their report. The bullet point immediately before that is this:
There is a role for school closure in response to school-based cases of COVID-19 for decontamination and contact tracing (few days of closure), in response to significant absenteeism of staff and students (short to medium length, i.e. 2-4 weeks of closure), or as part of a larger community mitigation strategy for jurisdictions with substantial community spread* (medium to long length, i.e. 4-8 weeks or more of closure).
Plus, this is all without mentioning that this report was released in mid-March when there was under 2,000 confirmed cases in the US.

Something, something, bad data, am I right? :rolleyes:

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...cw1SJzYI1ZKObIkUAr8TapBG61427dvBO1fqALwIpURTA

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
5F9C9A14-7766-4365-9452-7C2F05DBE224.png

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You're not even trying at this point. You selectively clipped part of their report. The bullet point immediately before that is this:

Plus, this is all without mentioning that this report was released in mid-March when there was under 2,000 confirmed cases in the US.

Something, something, bad data, am I right? :rolleyes:

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...cw1SJzYI1ZKObIkUAr8TapBG61427dvBO1fqALwIpURTA
I’m aware that it is archived. I went through this document yesterday with someone else. He included what you are providing now and more. I didn’t find anything newer on the CDC website related to this other than reopening schools in general.

However, the recent AAP stance on this issue includes below. So I’m trying a little. lol
“Policy makers must also consider the mounting evidence regarding COVID-19 in children and adolescents, including the role they may play in transmission of the infection. SARS-CoV-2 appears to behave differently in children and adolescents than other common respiratory viruses, such as influenza, on which much of the current guidance regarding school closures is based. Although children and adolescents play a major role in amplifying influenza outbreaks, to date, this does not appear to be the case with SARS-CoV-2. Although many questions remain, the preponderance of evidence indicates that children and adolescents are less likely to be symptomatic and less likely to have severe disease resulting from SARS-CoV-2 infection. In addition, children may be less likely to become infected and to spread infection. Policies to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 within schools must be balanced with the known harms to children, adolescents, families, and the community by keeping children at home."

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
everyone knows they also include death certificate deaths in their count, and yes, those take longer to process. This isn't new information. It still doesn't change the death toll from the virus.
Sure does change the curve. But whatever. You can only see one side of this. You want schools closed. That tells me all I need to know about you.

Chip Chipperson

everyone knows they also include death certificate deaths in their count, and yes, those take longer to process. This isn't new information. It still doesn't change the death toll from the virus.

Also, NJ does identify the difference between new deaths and "newly discovered" deaths. It's not like Murphy holds a press conference and gives the bigger number without any clarification in order to trick people (and this is coming from someone who can't stand him, although that hardly makes me unique in NJ).

oceanbreeze77

Also, NJ does identify the difference between new deaths and "newly discovered" deaths. It's not like Murphy holds a press conference and gives the bigger number without any clarification in order to trick people (and this is coming from someone who can't stand him, although that hardly makes me unique in NJ).
Like I said, this isn't new information. They've been doing this since march in different States.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I’m not creative enough to come up with a way to possibly spin that....but I’m sure someone will.
I'll take a poke...

Screenshot_20200708-153819.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2020-07-08/pence-says-coronavirus-positive-cases-flattening-in-arizona-texas-florida?context=amp

Cases are flattening in the hard hit states, including FLA. But I'm sure since the data was announced by Pence, there will be a few folks who question it. The same folks who live and breathe by any other data produced by any outlet that supports their beliefs.

JFP

I disagree. Of course in-school learning is generally better in normal conditions. These aren't normal conditions. Schools close when there are flu outbreaks, but we're supposed to accept sending kids into classrooms while this virus is still going crazy?

Also, if a school employee is visiting homes on a regular basis to deliver work to these at-risk children then they have an opportunity to observe any red flags that might merit notifying the police or local child welfare authorities. The same goes for supplying tablets or Chromebooks. When students are on a video session, teachers can see them and - unlike when students are in the classroom -actually have an opportunity to see how their home life is. If, for example, a parent is drunk/high/whatever and screaming at a kid, the teacher is going to hear it and report it. It's not always as cut and dry as you seem to think it is.

No solution available right now is perfect for every student, unfortunately. I just don't believe that schools being forced to open is the best decision at the moment.

Respectfully, it's not as cut and dry as you think it is either. The laptop will have to be turned on for anyone to see the other side of it. Sadly, these resources get sent home, and there's not enough structure in the home to make sure that happens.

oceanbreeze77

I'll take a poke...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2020-07-08/pence-says-coronavirus-positive-cases-flattening-in-arizona-texas-florida?context=amp

Cases are flattening in the hard hit states, including FLA. But I'm sure since the data was announced by Pence, there will be a few folks who question it. The same folks who live and breathe by any other data produced by any outlet that supports their beliefs.
He is right. They are flat. But at very high positivity rates. Thats not good.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yeah, that’s actually exactly what he does. Today’s number was given, then later on explained. Here’s Murphy’s twitter post.

And that entire 53 gets added to today’s national total.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I have a good friend who tested positive for Covid and after two weeks of staying home, her symptoms were mild fever and headache. Nothing else. She's fine now.

That's not to take anything away from the guy you posted, but that is most definitely an extreme case and there could very well be underlying/pre-existing conditions not disclosed. Not everybody who gets Covid suffers what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom