Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calmdownnow

Last I checked this wasn’t a grammar forum. I’ll take factually correct over grammatically correct any day.

Your main point is easily understood and accurate. Your last sentence was just misinformed and misleading.
My last statement was that "This is why WDW closed, immediately, its intern program housing" Relevant, accurate, etc.

DC0703

We aren't stopping deaths. We've only slowed the transmission rate. The death total will be the same as if we didn't take precautions in the end.

Current precautions where only to ensure healthcare is not flooded, (which hasn't and most likely won't happen). Those who are going to die are going to die no matter what. The average person is not going to drop dead (most won't even have symptoms) if they are infected.

I'm sorry, but this is not accurate at all. The death rate would not be the same, for many reasons.

1) Keeping everything open and letting the virus circulate freely would overwhelm hospitals. This is what originally drove up the death rate in Italy and China - healthcare being overwhelmed and people dying needlessly due to lack of resources. New York came close to being overwhelmed. If society was completely open, it would have been.

2) The shutdowns had a delaying effect that will likely save some lives. We may not have a vaccine this year, but in the second half of 2020 we may have better therapeutics for dealing with the disease, better preparation (more beds, more PPE), better knowledge of how the disease spreads and behaves, and a society that is taking better precautions.

3) We don't know what immunity for this disease looks like yet. Is immunity permanent, or does it only last a few months? What co-morbidities are popping up from people with previously had the disease? They have already identified an increased risk of strokes, potential brain, heart and kidney damage, lung scarring, inflammatory syndromes in children... and these are in asymptomatic people or those with mild cases, not just the hospitalized. We need more information before we open the floodgates and have a free for all. Otherwise there may be significant health issues related to COVID down the line.

4) Increased testing could help to isolate carriers and make it easier to maneuver through society safely.

In other words... slowing the transmission rate can save lives

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm going to try this again. Maybe I'll be a little louder for the folks in the back:
THEY WEREN'T PUTTING THE MASKS ON TO PROTECT THEMSELVES FROM YOU. THEY WERE PUTTING THE MASKS ON TO POTENTIALLY PROTECT YOU FROM THEM.
I have to ask, ...if a persons (such as the ones referenced, out on a walk smoking cigars) motive of wearing a mask is to protect YOU FROM THEM, .. why leave the house to smoke cigars in the first place?

Sure, they're entitle to go on a walk and enjoy some fresh air, but if their true intent was to protect others, they could just as easily smoke the cigars on their own property. The entire "I wear a mask to protect others" is selfishly abused, IMO. I see discarded masks and gloves on the ground EVERY DAY.

If the people who haphazardly disposed of them actually cared about others, they wouldn't have left the contaminated material in the parking lot of the grocery store.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
If it hasn't been asked, how will Disney enforce a mask rule on a 2 year old child who is outright refusing to keep it on in 95 degree heat?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think we’ve beaten the mask debate to death, but is there anyone who still doubts that Disney having a mask requirement is going to be a problem? No matter which side of the issue you fall on it’s pretty obvious that there are going to be issues with that type of policy. I know what Chapek said in the interview but we’re months away from an opening. I don’t see the public sentiment getting any better. Maybe the DS opening will be a test run. I don’t see them requiring masks when the parks open or if they do enforcing that rule, maybe they are just strongly recommended for guests and required for CMs. That will also likely delay the opening of the parks.

Peter Pan's Shadow

There were people who literally dropped dead, that now we know was due to clotting issues. Now we know that people, who are generally healthy, could have a very bad side effect. They are actively looking for clotting issues, and treating with blood thinners when necessary. This new knowledge absolutely saved lives.
Sorry if I'm replying to this in a dumb way, didn't see the chain. Blood clotting is a known issue. It's only an issue with the small percentage of people that are laying stationary in the ICU too long from covid-19. So a very small percentage of critical patients which is also a very small percentage of people that test positive are at risk for the clotting and it's been known for over a month and they actively look for it now. Was this already said?

celluloid

I think we’ve beaten the mask debate to death, but is there anyone who still doubts that Disney having a mask requirement is going to be a problem? No matter which side of the issue you fall on it’s pretty obvious that there are going to be issues with that type of policy. I know what Chapek said in the interview but we’re months away from an opening. I don’t see the public sentiment getting any better. Maybe the DS opening will be a test run. I don’t see them requiring masks when the parks open or if they do enforcing that rule, maybe they are just strongly recommended for guests and required for CMs. That will also likely delay the opening of the parks.

This. Everything is fluid. If they find it causes more trouble to enforce than it is worth, including guests being rude to others, they will ease up and make it a reccomendation. If people still come either way, that is where it will stay. They have to start somewhere. As you said, just because it is stated or published now does not matter. Things can and do change all the time.
I also have a hard time believing the temperature scan for the employees will want to keep being a thing for long when people are being sent hom for minor or low grade fevers upon arrival, and not having to take a point for it, but losing money for them being out of work the next three days, and the park being out of staffing of each person for the next three days.

rk03221

This is going to suck so bad if this goes into the 50th...I hope things are better by 2021 but heck, California cancelled fall semester for colleges in and I’m guessing everything else is next...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom