Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disstevefan1

The Mandates as posted only talk about temperature checks for staff. I understand temperature checks won't catch a lot of cases but it will catch some. The worse thing for Disney is an infected CM spreading the virus to hundreds of guests who then infect friends and relatives when the go home. I think CM rules regarding masks, temperature checks etc will be strictly enforced.

I don't think Disney can half way rules to guests. Either enforce them severely or don't bother having a rule.
edited to add
Disney is in the business of taking reservations and accepting $$$. I suspect Disney will defer to Federal policy regarding international guests. Is it possible the guests country will impose a quarantine requirement upon return. I'd be surprised if international guests arrive in any significant numbers this year.

Unless I heard it wrong in the meeting, they were going back and forth about requiring temp checks for guests attending visiting large venues like malls and WDW. Temp checks for employees seemed to be agreed upon. It’s the temp check of the guests that was going back and forth in the meeting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It depends upon how a "gathering" is defined. A theme park is operationally more like a mall or shopping center than a church service (with the exception of theater shows like Philharmagic).
Philharmagic, Fantasmic and all of the various other theater shows are only one aspect though. That’s cut and dry. For phase one any ride where more than 10 people are in the ride vehicle would have to limit to 10 (Star Tours, ToT, Pirates, etc) Same as parades, fireworks and other similar events where there’s a group gathered. What about entering the parks? Busses, monorails and ferries? None of that is like a mall or shopping center. Disney Springs is basically a mall. The hotels should be able to follow what the hotel industry is doing in general. The parks themselves seem to me to be difficult to exclude from gatherings of more than 10 people. They could rely on mitigating measures to allow an opening. That’s probably their best argument.

trainplane3

I disagree. AMC will be fine. excluding Universal Pictures. They will still have all the other movie studios and independent movies. Plus they could also show foreign movies. The bigger question is what will the other major theater chains do?
This just popped up, Regal is following them too. I doubt anything will really change honestly. Aside from a few movies over the years, I'd rather not go to a theater considering how poor they are at enforcing policies. I'd like to experience an Alamo Drafthouse since they enforce without caring about their PR.

jmp85

We are back in a holding pattern on what things will look like. My gut feeling when I read the release this morning was they didn’t like some of the requirements because they would be too strict but it’s equally likely they felt they were too loose. The guidelines released by the county left a lot of open questions, but they seemed like a good basis for discussion. I guess we will see.

Edit:there was in a line in there talking about how the rules laid out by the task force were not meant to be punitive. That’s where I think I got the idea there was some perception of them being too strong.

If they go with something more restrictive than what we've already seen, I think they'll have to beg people to visit. I take the family about three times per year, but the whole purpose of the Disney trip is to escape reality. Wearing masks, seeing tape everywhere, items removed, etc. will not be an escape from reality. Note, this is not an opinion on what Disney should or shouldn't do, just my personal view as an avid Disney fan. We'll all have to make our own decisions, but at this point I'll probably just save my money.

DisneyCane

Philharmagic, Fantasmic and all of the various other theater shows are only one aspect though. That’s cut and dry. For phase one any ride where more than 10 people are in the ride vehicle would have to limit to 10 (Star Tours, ToT, Pirates, etc) Same as parades, fireworks and other similar events where there’s a group gathered. What about entering the parks? Busses, monorails and ferries? None of that is like a mall or shopping center. Disney Springs is basically a mall. The hotels should be able to follow what the hotel industry is doing in general. The parks themselves seem to me to be difficult to exclude from gatherings of more than 10 people. They could rely on mitigating measures to allow an opening. That’s probably their best argument.
It's complicated because in the guidelines they say no gatherings of more than ten people but they also say that large venues can operate under strict social distancing. It seems that "gatherings" are defined as something different than a few thousand people in an arena that are socially distanced. I wish they would provide more detailed documents to understand exactly what they mean.

donsullivan

Premium Member
The reality everyone has to accept (they don't have to like it but do have to accept it) is that when WDW does begin to reopen, things WILL be different than they were before they closed, at least for a while. Once those details are announced it will be up to each individual to determine whether you are willing/able to abide by the new guidelines or not.

If you are unable or unwilling you should simply choose not to visit until the restrictions are reduced over time. Some people will not feel comfortable in large groups for a very long time and they shouldn't go to WDW until they are. Some people (like myself) will be totally okay with wearing masks and using lots and lots of hand sanitizer and may be able to attend during the earlier days of reopening. If you feel the rules aren't strict enough for you personally to feel comfortable then you should not attend.

Disney will do what they feel is reasonable and appropriate based on all the data they have available to them and if you don't like those rules, just don't go. But if you think you're going to show up and just ignore the rules, expect consequences. Expect Disney to (unlike the past) get pretty aggressive in enforcing the rules for the safety of all guests and cast.

This will not be the same 'escape from reality' we are used to for a while and we all will have to live with it or not go.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Ok, let’s look at rumors. No fireworks or parades. No shows. No food courts or buffets. Limited table service with emphasis on counter service mobile order/takeaway. Limited outdoor seating. No character dining. No character meets. One or two parks open. Changes to attractions to accommodate physical spacing (HM, for example). Maybe even limited attractions. Possible boarding groups or lottos. Limited/spaced out transportation to and from the parks. No monorails or skyliner. And masks in all that heat and humidity.

Is it still worth the dough? Or have we now ventured into “Yeah, man! Let’s do this!” territory?

Last edited:

wendysue

I don't live in Florida, but would be interested in watching the press conference. Is it on local tv there? or online?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Costco will begin requiring members and guests to wear masks/face coverings starting May 4th.

"To protect our members and employees, effective May 4, all Costco members and guests must wear a mask or face covering that covers the mouth and nose at all times while at Costco. This requirement does not apply to children under the age of 2 or to individuals who are unable to wear a mask or face covering due to a medical condition.

The use of a mask or face covering should not be seen as a substitute for social distancing. Please continue to observe rules regarding appropriate distancing while on Costco premises. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation."

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
My partner just had a call with some Broadway honchos who reiterated that theater won't be back until January. They said this 2 weeks or so ago in an abundance of caution.

So, not WDW but certainly something to throw into the mix.

AshaNeOmah

Ok, let’s look at rumors. No fireworks or parades. No shows. No food courts or buffets. Limited table service with emphasis on counter service mobile order/takeaway. Limited outdoor seating. No character dining. No character meets. One or two parks open. Changes to attractions to accommodate physical spacing (HM, for example). Maybe even limited attractions. Possible boarding groups or lottos. Limited/spaced out transportation to and from the parks. No monorails or skyliner. And masks in all that heat and humidity.

Is it still worth the dough? Or have we now ventured into “Yeah, man! Let’s do this!” territory?

I suspect (almost guarantee) most of these rumors will never come to pass.

TrainsOfDisney

The reality everyone has to accept (they don't have to like it but do have to accept it) is that when WDW does begin to reopen, things WILL be different than they were before they closed, at least for a while. Once those details are announced it will b

Oh I’ve accepted it. I said to myself that the Disney I loved closed for good in March of 2020. When / if it comes back remains to be seen.

If the Disney experience becomes super regulated where everything including my allotted time walking down Main Street is in a specific time window I’m not sure how enjoyable Disney will be for anybody. There isn’t one thing in the Magic Kingdom that is really that great is there? It’s the whole experience. What that experience is will vary from guest to guest but it certainly includes characters, parades, live entertainers, etc.

I think opening up on a limited & discounted basis for Florida residents would be the best thing they could do.

AshaNeOmah

Phew, that makes me feel better!

They simply can't operate with those rules. With no monorail (or ferry) how can guests get to MK?

They'll run restaurants the same as everyone else, at 50% capacity. More queues will move outdoors, in place on interior queues, but I'd think most rides are going to be open. I think they'll heavily promote guests wear masks.

Life at Disney will be different but, if the crowds do end up being smaller, it might not feel all that different after the new rules are ironed out.

I suspect more people than thought, outside of the biggest urban areas, don't take the virus as seriously as others. I personally think people will show up in larger numbers than expected.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
They simply can't operate with those rules. With no monorail (or ferry) how can guests get to MK?

They'll run restaurants the same as everyone else, at 50% capacity. More queues will move outdoors, in place on interior queues, but I'd think most rides are going to be open. I think they'll heavily promote guests wear masks.

Life at Disney will be different but, if the crowds do end up being smaller, it might not feel all that different after the new rules are ironed out.

I suspect more people than thought, outside of the biggest urban areas, don't take the virus as seriously as others. I personally think people will show up in larger numbers than expected.

You have no disagreement with me on that last paragraph. I’ve been saying from the beginning that those farewell crowds are all set to reopen the place. As for the rest, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom