Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

The hope is that we can react faster to a second wave. When the first cases rolled around in the US we didn’t have test kits at all then we had some but testing was very limited. If they had acted quickly and isolated the sick and traced all of their contact back and tested those people and isolated the sick the virus could have maybe been contained. You need extensive and immediate testing as well as thorough contact tracing. If social distancing and lock downs allowed us to hit the reset button it’s possible we can avoid a full blown second wave if people are much more careful and testing is much better organized. 2 big ifs.
Today in Colorado, our Governor said that our testing numbers have dropped because they don’t have enough PPE or swabs for the people collecting the samples. We have lab capacity but the choke point has moved.

peter11435

Just hearing horror stories on people trying to apply for FL unemployment , then waiting for stimulus checks who knows when it will come, hearing different versions. 80% of weekly pay to salaried and full time hourly staff and these groups not being furloughed (yet) , while Universal closed= great deal.
Assuming you can still make your bills. Sure.

But if you can’t, I bet you’d rather deal with the unemployment system and come out ahead for a couple months

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Today in Colorado, our Governor said that our testing numbers have dropped because they don’t have enough PPE or swabs for the people collecting the samples. We have lab capacity but the choke point has moved.
That’s exactly what we need to avoid. I’m still going under the assumption that we will be on lockdown through the end of May so the federal government has 7 weeks to figure this out. Local government agencies and hospitals need to have access to all the supplies they need but we also need a federal task force that can be deployed immediately to any place where a new outbreak is detected before it turns into a full blown hot spot. These territorial ing contests between state and federal governments need to end and everyone needs to get on the same page or we will be right back into lockdown in a few weeks or months after they let us out.

Polynesia

But if you can’t, I bet you’d rather deal with the unemployment system and come out ahead for a couple months
Don’t forget that furloughed employees are getting their health care paid by the employer 100%. So a team member may be more like $600 less each month since I didn’t see Universal offering to pick up that huge cost. Like you said, I think most works prefer more money and a bit of frustration getting unemployment set up.

peter11435

Don’t forget that furloughed employees are getting their health care paid by the employer 100%. So a team member may be more like $600 less each month since I didn’t see Universal offering to pick up that huge cost. Like you said, I think most works prefer more money and a bit of frustration getting unemployment set up.
And let’s me honest, I know the unemployment process might be frustrating and time consuming, but they should have plenty of time.

Lilofan

Half of the lower paid staff would be satisfied with the unemployment on steriods. The mid level and upper level salaried would take 80% of their weekly pay to stay at home any day of the week.

Patcheslee

Any engineers and electronics people out there---- question the longer all the attractions stay idle is it harder to get them up and running again?
I'm stuck with CNC machines that will be powered down at least 3 weeks so just based on my experience from them.
First thought is all the laser/photo style sensors that will have to possibly be cleaned just to keep from having false triggers. Not sure how well they are keeping the humidity and air levels in control rooms, but too much humidity that can settle on relays or servos can bring up issues.

John park hopper

MickeyLuv'r

Of course, if there are concerns that kids' learning has fallen behind, there is nothing to stop the distance learning school year continuing through the summer months if lock down measures remain in place. There is nothing, other than tradition, that says school stops on a particular date.

While I think it is entirely possible some/many communities will opt to extend the school year through distance learning, there are a number of reasons why it might not happen in many places.

It isn't just tradition stopping schools from suddenly running year round. Just like Disney, there are laws and contracts to negotiate. There are local laws, state laws, and federal laws.

Running schools into the summer would mean different things in different locations. Some school systems already operate on a year round schedule, other locations might have air conditioning, nor the $ to run AC.

Many states also rely on say, summer tourism or summer farming, in those places the local business interests might lobby hard to have state resident families out of school come summer.

Again, I'm not saying it can't be done. It just might not happen in a number of places for a wide array of reasons.

John park hopper

I'm stuck with CNC machines that will be powered down at least 3 weeks so just based on my experience from them.
First thought is all the laser/photo style sensors that will have to possibly be cleaned just to keep from having false triggers. Not sure how well they are keeping the humidity and air levels in control rooms, but too much humidity that can settle on relays or servos can bring up issues.
Thats what I was thinking electronics and heat and humidity don't mix things start to corrode contacts relays etc.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
While I think it is entirely possible some/many communities will opt to extend the school year through distance learning, there are a number of reasons why it might not happen in many places.

It isn't just tradition stopping schools from suddenly running year round. Just like Disney, there are laws and contracts to negotiate. There are local laws, state laws, and federal laws.

Running schools into the summer would mean different things in different locations. Some school systems already operate on a year round schedule, other locations might have air conditioning, nor the $ to run AC.

Many states also rely on say, summer tourism or summer farming, in those places the local business interests might lobby hard to have state resident families out of school come summer.

Again, I'm not saying it can't be done. It just might not happen in a number of places for a wide array of reasons.

The suggestion was distance learning continue through the summer. If it's anything like our distance learning, that's two hours a day of work. They can manage that while travelling (though there doesn't seem to be much of that happening this summer more than likely) or farming (which captures what percentage of students really?). The schools don't need to be open and it begs the question because teachers are scheduled to work a number of days, but at the same time, they're not working full days right now. So could their contract be extended as a result to continue to lesson plan, grade papers, and do one or two weekly Zoom sessions? Possibly.

Polynesia

They've been saying very soon since early March when they were supposedly millions of test going out to the states and anybody who wanted one could get one. At this point we have to see it to believe it
I think these are two different tests. The anti body test will tell you whether or not you’ve had it. The other one is to see if you have it now. 😊

DCBaker

Premium Member
State Farm joins Allstate, American Family Insurance, Liberty Mutual, Geico, Progressive Insurance, Nationwide and USAA in either providing credits or refunds.

"State Farm said Thursday that it will return $2 billion in auto insurance premiums to its customers because fewer motorists are on the road as a result of the new coronavirus.

Most policyholders will get a 25% policy credit for the weeks between March 30 and May 31, the Bloomington-based insurer said."

Rimmit

Just flagging up that the vaccine then needs to be affordable, capable of being mass produced, and accessible in all countries.

Thankfully that is exactly why vaccination is such a popular treatment. It is incredibly affordable (Especially compared to other medical therapies. That’s how we eliminated small pox. We pretty much vaccinated the whole world and to this day remains one of the greatest medical triumphs ever), quickly mass produced (we produce an insane amount of flu vaccines every year), and easily transported to any country in the world typically needing refrigeration at most and that can often me accomplished with dry ice. While every vaccine may have different challenges in production and creation, R&D is typically the hardest part.

Once you get past that hurdle it’s relatively smooth sailing. Vaccines are one of the greatest triumphs of modern medicine despite what anti-vaxxers may say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom