Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDoctor

It's World Net Daily. Anytime I see a link with "wnd" in it, I've programmed my mouse to "shock" my finger if I click on it.

DisneyDoctor

flynnibus

Premium Member
ha I wondered that... but I'll also say I think every source is shady these days so we never know what to believe

Sure you do... if you actually look at things like citations, other sources, supporting materials, etc.

This 'my stuff isn't any worse than yours' defense is a deflect tactic. It is easy to discern what is credible in a piece if someone wants to. Reality is... most don't. They just want to see and share something that fits their disposition.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I posted this a couple 1000 pages back (probably 50 or so).

It's going to come as a wave. Say anything you want about how you perceive how bad or not bad things are now. History does repeat itself. 1st wave of Spanish Flu wasn't "so bad" either. Yet, we're all talking about it a hundred years later.

Hopefully /sarcasm medical science has advanced a bit in the interceding century.

bpiper

Really interesting.

Would we even need to worry about over burdening the hospitals if we simply quarantined those with higher risk and built up herd immunity? No idea, I don't study this stuff, but fascinating nonetheless.

I wouldn't feel comfortable making this a study in the future lol.
But some people who aren't high risk get a bad case of it and some of those die.... So who do you quarantine?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
the thing is, all we are doing right now is hiding in our houses from the virus... the virus isn't going away and may even come back again (like this) in the winter - we have to develop immunity, a vaccine, or drugs to treat it very early on before it gets severe otherwise when we try to go back to "normal", we are still at risk

5thGenTexan

Light at the end of the tunnel... or it could be a train. :)

DisneyCane

Again I used HIV as an example but it’s not the only virus we have no vaccine for.
It is the only pandemic virus with relatively high mortality that we don't have a vaccine for. There's no SARS (the original) vaccine because the outbreak was contained so there was not need to invest in creating one and going through all the testing.

Vaccines are only produced for widespread viruses with significant mortality rates.

Rimmit

Yup, was listening to a local newscaster in hysterics yesterday about 169 Covid-19 "related" deaths in LA County. This is in a county with over 10 million people where about 63,000 people died last year.

For reasons I don’t understand you are fixated on current death numbers and cannot see the forest for the trees. There is a much bigger picture here that given your posting history you cannot seem to comprehend.

On Mar. 24th you posted the current death numbers in NY state as quoted below.

Perspective:

Approximately 150,000 people die annually in NY State on a population of about 20 million

Total coronavirus deaths as of now: 210

Well guess what? 15 days later NY is now at 6,268 deaths which is more than twice the number of deaths of 9/11 and we still aren’t past the worst of it. They are losing 700+ a day at this point! Based on the current count of 6,268 that is a 4.1 percent uptick in deaths... and we are just getting started!!! Those numbers are even likely undercounted as the coroners state they don’t have enough tests to test those that died prior to testing or at home. The number of death/day is still increasing but thankfully the number of new cases is decreasing due to social distancing.

CA has thankfully been more proactive than most states and that’s allowed them to keep their numbers from exploding into the exponential growth.

I do not know how else to help you understand exponential growth at this point as the numbers don’t lie.

peter11435

It is the only pandemic virus with relatively high mortality that we don't have a vaccine for. There's no SARS (the original) vaccine because the outbreak was contained so there was not need to invest in creating one and going through all the testing.

Vaccines are only produced for widespread viruses with significant mortality rates.
Listen you can believe what ever you’d like. I believe there will be a vaccine and I’m hopeful it will happen sooner rather than later. But I also understand the realities of the fact that there is no guarantee.

There are other viruses where vaccine development has been tried and failed

LittleBuford

For reasons I don’t understand you are fixated on current death numbers and cannot see the forest for the trees. There is a much bigger picture here that given your posting history you cannot seem to comprehend.

On Mar. 24th you posted the current death numbers in NY state as quoted below.

Well guess what? 15 days later NY is now at 6,268 deaths which is more than twice the number of deaths of 9/11 and we still aren’t past the worst of it. They are losing 700+ a day at this point! Based on the current count of 6,268 that is a 4.1 percent uptick in deaths... and we are just getting started!!! Those numbers are even likely undercounted as the coroners state they don’t have enough tests to test those that died prior to testing or at home. The number of death/day is still increasing but thankfully the number of new cases is decreasing due to social distancing.

CA has thankfully been more proactive than most states and that’s allowed them to keep their numbers from exploding into the exponential growth.

I do not know how else to help you understand exponential growth at this point as the numbers don’t lie.

The numbers don’t much matter to him anyway, because most of the dead were (according to him) already likely to die soon.

DisneyCane

But some people who aren't high risk get a bad case of it and some of those die.... So who do you quarantine?

Some young, healthy people inexplicably die from the flu every year. You have to try and isolate and protect the most vulnerable while returning to a somewhat normal society and economy.

We will be at a point after this peak where it will be possible to test everybody with respiratory symptoms and/or fever and, if they test positive isolate them and do extensive contact tracing.

To prevent asymptomatic spread, I could see requiring masks in public and then for restaurants, where wearing a mask while dining isn't possible, temporarily social distance the dining rooms and provide compensation to make up the lost revenue.

Sports arenas/stadiums and theatres/movie theatres, can choose between social distancing the seating or requiring masks. The latter would cause them not to be able to sell concession items. I'd imagine movie theatres at least would choose the distancing option.

I'm just throwing some ideas out. I hope the economic task force is brainstorming like crazy in consultation with medical experts.

durangojim

One of the medical conference companies I use for cme still shoes them as having a conference at YC/BC in the middle of May. Ones prior to that have been cancelled. I have a very hard time believing WDW will be open any time in May. My money is on June.

DisneyCane

Listen you can believe what ever you’d like. I believe there will be a vaccine and I’m hopeful it will happen sooner rather than later. But I also understand the realities of the fact that there is no guarantee.

There are other viruses where vaccine development has been tried and failed

Other than HIV, which ones?

donsullivan

Premium Member

lazyboy97o

Really interesting.

Would we even need to worry about over burdening the hospitals if we simply quarantined those with higher risk and built up herd immunity? No idea, I don't study this stuff, but fascinating nonetheless.

I wouldn't feel comfortable making this a study in the future lol.
I’ve posted the percentages of Americans who are considered high risk and it is easily ¼ of the population. Add in family, dependents and care givers and it’s not hard to see that easily rising to ½ the population who are quarantined. Either way, you’re not getting to that 80% of the population stated for herd immunity.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

For today's "Florida Glimmer of Hope," if you look at the chart on the Florida dashboard, it is becoming evident that the number of new cases per day has flattened beginning on 4/2. For the "intelligent voices in the room" that like to dispute this apparent good news, I am not saying that Florida is out of the woods or on the down slope. However, you have to flatten before getting to the other side.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
interesting read -

It's no different than the arguments made here to not 'kill' the economy for the sake of the deaths COVID causes. Their mantra is "the cure is worse than the disease."

And that's because they're willing to accept what would be -- without mitigation -- more than a million deaths in the U.S. They're willing to accept overwhelmed healthcare facilities where some people die because there aren't enough intensive care units and respirators to go around (and those with critical health issues for other reasons, for example, a heart attack, don't survive because all the ICUs are full).

So, he's right in that you can just let it run it's course and eventually we'll be immune to it. And by "we," they mean the survivors ignoring all those who died. So, don't flatten the curve and let it peak beyond our healthcare's system to possible save many of the infected.

And now, the ad hominem: But what do you expect from a website that traffics in conspiracies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom