Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

So in 24hours we've had the work cafeteria shut down and notified at 12pm today work schedules will be staggered starting tomorrow. Some ppl having to come and stay in up to 30 minutes later. Lunch and breaks are now staggered, and mandatory hand washing before work, before and after breaks and before leaving for the day. Yearly United way Day of Caring we usually spend helping seniors or businesses in the community is canceled :(.
Then we have a guy trying to shut the whole place down claiming his wife has COVID-19 but hasn't been tested or told to quarantine.

hopemax

I'm sure it will be studied for years... but pretty much also sure that hardly anyone will read those papers let alone remember them when the next virus pops up in the future. We learned things from past problems with SARS, Swine Flu and Hong Kong Flu but rarely do you see or hear any of the so called experts in the news making any references to those past experiences, they all seem to act as though this is the first pandemic we have ever experienced... It is more likely the first one with this level of media exposure but certainly not the first and even using worst case scenarios it is far from the worst pandemic to sweep the world.

I know from the recent comments that *I'm* the one one reading the wrong things... But I have seen these things. Back when I was paying attention in Jan / early Feb and China, South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, etc were making decisions based on the things they had learned from those situations. So I don't know what to tell you.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

An N95 yes. Of course the droplets can still get into your eyes if you aren't wearing sealed goggles.

The surgical masks that the people in Asia wear for these outbreaks do very little to protect you.
So gotta comment... Yes, simple Surgical masks do NOT do much to protect YOU. They are actually desighned to protect the "patient" FROM you.

But consider the "Asia Experiment": EVERYONE wears a Surgical Mask - or they end up arrested :). Given a whole different "Social Attitude" in most Asian Countries? This works. But the message is "protect your neighbor".

Now we HAVE N95's, and even gloves & goggles. So far? STARTING to use the N95's.... But that's a "protect me". We would rather see a mandate for anyone in public to wear a surgical mask - cheaper & easier to make. Could be a stretch... in the US we would have to establish an attitude of "care for the other guy" :(. Make it a patriotic duty? Could work.

thomas998

So in 24hours we've had the work cafeteria shut down and notified at 12pm today work schedules will be staggered starting tomorrow. Some ppl having to come and stay in up to 30 minutes later. Lunch and breaks are now staggered, and mandatory hand washing before work, before and after breaks and before leaving for the day. Yearly United way Day of Caring we usually spend helping seniors or businesses in the community is canceled :(.
Then we have a guy trying to shut the whole place down claiming his wife has COVID-19 but hasn't been tested or told to quarantine.
You may actually enjoy a cutback in the United Way activities... I know one company I worked for went so far overboard for the United Way stuff that for the entire week you could not really do any work because various departments would be down to a skeleton crew and you were forced to pretty much wait until the United Way week was done and dusted. I much preferred the places I've worked that ask you donate and called it day without the other add-ons.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I was thinking about the Spanish Flu and Walt Disney, who was born in 1901. The Spanish Flu affected young people very hard, and Walt Disney was 17 years old at the time. It turns out that he actually caught the Spanish Flu and survived. See: Ten Famous People Who Survived the 1918 Flu.

Can you imagine how different the world would have been if Walt Disney hadn't survived that crisis. But also imagine all the millions of people that didn't make it in the war or due to the flu, who could have, in the last century, invented things or created movies, books, poems and paintings that we'll never get to see.

I read this amazing article about the Spanish Flu by John M. Barry, who wrote a book The Great Influenza. The article talks about the most important lessons from the 1918 outbreak. It's a very interesting read:

w
Walt survived the Spanish flu but smoking killed him.

thomas998

I know from the recent comments that *I'm* the one one reading the wrong things... But I have seen these things. Back when I was paying attention in Jan / early Feb and China, South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, etc were making decisions based on the things they had learned from those situations. So I don't know what to tell you.
While I"ve seen them pulling in the occasional comments of how this virus related to SARS, I don't think I have seen any pull in the Swine Flu or Hong Kong Flu where had more similarities in how they were spreading across the globe than SARS. The strongest connection to SARS seems to only be that they are both coronaviruses but they seem to differ quite a bit in their levels of infectioness. The older pandemic seemed to have spread more like this one in terms of speed of spread.

21stamps

I hope you guys are right and this is all a big overreaction. I really, really do.

Asking for data is not the same as saying it’s an overreaction. It’s asking for information, plain and simple.

Looks like some states are finally starting to provide more info, not enough.. but better than before. Maybe that’s a step in the right direction.

RobWDW1971

I hope you guys are right and this is all a big overreaction. I really, really do.
Except the destruction of the economy and millions of jobs either eliminated or reduced hours is already happening. What are government officials going to say if it was an overreaction? "Oops! My bad!"

Minthorne

Has no one realized this is Merlin's doing - unleashing such a terrible thing on the World to win a duel...

1584566321993.png

ImperfectPixie

Rimmit

Except the destruction of the economy and millions of jobs either eliminated or reduced hours is already happening. What are government officials going to say if it was an overreaction? "Oops! My bad!"

They will say we did they right thing. If this ends up being an overreaction it means our social distancing worked. If it is an under reaction that means we failed.

This is a binary event. We either succeed (South Korea and arguably China) or fail (Iran and Italy... soon to be the rest of Europe). There is no in between here, as our disease count per day is already 1500+ so we are the tipping point. Will we tip or not?

An excellent read of you are into reading is Malcolm Gladwell’s The Tipping Point. He is the author of the well known book The Outliers. It’s not really about Pandemics, but more about the social psychology of large scale events.

RobWDW1971

RobWDW1971

They will say wedid they right thing. If this ends up being an overreaction it means our social distancing worked. If it is an under reaction that means we failed.

This is a binary event. We either succeed (South Korea and arguably China) or fail (Iran and Italy... soon to be the rest of Europe). There is no in between here, as our disease count per day is already 1500+ so we are the tipping point. Will we tip or not?

An excellent read of you are into reading is Malcolm Gladwell’s The Tipping Point. He is the author of the well known book The Outliers. It’s not really about Pandemics, but more about the social psychology of large scale events.
I was being facetious, I know exactly what they will say "Yes, we completely destroyed the economy, but we saved millions of people! Prove us wrong, because you obviously can't, so we'll just go with that as fact!".

Will be interesting to see where Italy ends up - 100K dead? Million dead? They are about 20% our size. Will be interesting to extrapolate the difference if we are using them for our control to see if the loss of trillions was worth that many lives potentially saved and the age and pre-existing condition of the fatalities. (Adjusted of course for Italy's higher percentage of elderly)

Rimmit

I was being facetious, I know exactly what they will say "Yes, we completely destroyed the economy, but we saved millions of people! Prove us wrong, because you obviously can't, so we'll just go with that as fact!".

Will be interesting to see where Italy ends up - 100K dead? Million dead? They are about 20% our size. Will be interesting to extrapolate the difference if we are using them for our control to see if the loss of trillions was worth that many lives potentially saved.

It will be interesting. My cousins husband has lost 3 relatives thus far. He is from Bergamo. They are getting slaughtered there right now.

Like I have said previously, it is hard to gauge loss of life vs economic disaster in this situation as we just don’t know how Many could potentially die.

Unfortunately, for third world countries, especially those in Africa, social distancing will likely not happen and they will just get slaughtered until a vaccine comes about. So we can definitely see how this does in Africa and gauge retrospectively with some speculation if we did the right thing. We lose millions in Africa every year to HIV, Malaria, Measles, dehydration (from norovirus or other GI disease), and other causes. Most of these deaths are preventable with first world medicine but due to poor healthcare systems these people die of totally preventable and treatable diseases. I am betting African travel will be off limits to the world until a COVID vaccine is developed as this will sadly wipeout Africa and likely become endemic there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom