Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I mean, at this point, does it matter? Not trying to be snarky, but with the parks closed this thread topic is irrelevant. So the discussion is just.... basically Covid themed chit chat...

Last edited by a moderator:

rowrbazzle

It's not. Honestly, I'm of the opinion that since at least the 1990s, young people (18 and under) have been overestimating their value when it comes to pay rates.
At the time, that wasn't unusual. But we've got teenagers turning their nose up at $10 an hour tax free these days.

But if they're getting what they ask, then they're not overestimating their value. We pay more than $10 an hour for our babysitter. But in return we know we have our children well taken care of and we are not worried. Honestly, we're probably underpaying.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I don’t need a pity party. I will figure this out. What’s sad is that society doesn’t realize how many women and parents will not be able to figure this out, and will slowly bleed in the process if we are supporting these kind of babysitting rates for parents who still have to work while they’ve already paid for child care for their kids but now schools are closed.

If anyone doesn’t think that will have an impact on our economy, then you’re really not looking at the big picture. Society is doing great things like providing meals to underprivileged children even when school is canceled during this time, they are providing unemployment to people who Cannot work normally due to this. However, there a millions of parents who don’t fit either category there, and will see their expenses so drastically rise.

Just for clarity,... they're providing meals (breakfast and lunch) for ALL kids 18 and under, not just underprivileged school children. In case things get a little too tight, that's a very important distinction. Meals for A aren't very expensive because she basically eats snacks and sandwiches, but it's worth keeping in mind that free meals are an option for ALL kids

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
How much do you pay for your daughter’s preschool, per week? I know it is a group setting, but these are schools with teachers with degrees and kids having activities throughout the entire day needing constant supervision. My kid went to a fancy preschool and it wasn’t even $750 per week. These cans are out of their minds. Best of luck to them though. I’m just checking my email waiting for someone realistic to respond. Lol

Oh I pay $1,160 per month for A's daycare. I can't stop paying it either, even though we've pulled her from school. If I did, I would lose our spot, lose a month and a half's tuition for cancelling without warning, and lose our deposit. So I have to suck that cost up.

21stamps

Oh I pay $1,160 per month for A's daycare. I can't stop paying it either, even though we've pulled her from school. If I did, I would lose our spot, lose a month and a half's tuition for cancelling without warning, and lose our deposit. So I have to suck that cost up.

That is my point exactly. In-home childcare for a 10-year-old, while the high school student child care provider is given 2 to 3 hours to do their own schoolwork, during a time when all schools are closed, should not cost more than a toddler’s preschool.
I just hope the high school kids start to realize that.

DisneyCane

You have this mindset that we have no data because it's not being computed the way you think it should be.

When they go from people that are positive... to how many need more advanced care.. they don't need US-specific numbers to know what those trends are. The virus isn't checking passports...

The trends of 'sick -> more advanced stages' is not something bounded by political boundaries. They have data to suggest reasonable models. What differs more is the ability to treat, and how bad tranmission is -- because those are actual areas influenced by our areas and resources. How many go from sick to really sick.. is not.

We do need this data. Other countries do not have a handle on total infections. South Korea comes the closest to a population sample and their rate of serious illness is reported (by worldometers.info) at under 1%.

This is far different from the 18%-20% reported in other countries that are only testing cases that have symptoms severe enough to prompt testing.

IF the rate is 18%, then if you assume 50% of the US is infected it would translate to 29 million hospitalizations which could justify the drastic actions.

IF the rate is 1%, it only translates to 1.6 million hospitalizations. Spread out over a few months and that doesn't overwhelm anything. In this case these actions make absolutely no sense at all.

In either case people over 65 or people with the specified health issues should take precautions like avoiding crowds. However, the world doesn't need to be shut down for everyone else if the lower number based on South Korea is accurate.

That's why it is imperative for the data to be shared with the public and for the formulas used for projections (both need and capacity) also need to be shared. A government shouldn't take unprecedented actions without being fully transparent as to the logic.

DisneyCane

I’m usually not the first to trust the government so I hear what you are saying and I definitely don’t trust politicians, but in this case there’s a unilateral agreement among almost everyone (political and non-political) on this. Even if we throw out all of the politicians and the political appointees there are tons of doctors and people who have dedicated their lives to studying these types of events who have no “dog in the race” politically.

I am open to hearing alternate opinions and I’m certain nobody out there has all the answers on this so everything is on the table. I just haven’t heard anyone with any real credibility stating that this whole thing is an overreaction and we have plenty of ICU beds and ventilators. It’s almost unprecedented that everyone agrees this is a problem.

If they would share the data then I would develop more trust. While nobody is saying it publicly, there are a large number of physicians who share the opinion that this is an overreaction. I know that for a fact.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That is my point exactly. In-home childcare for a 10-year-old, while the child care provider is giving 2 to 3 hours to do their own schoolwork, during a time when all schools are closed, should not cost more than a toddler’s preschool.
I just hope the high school kids start to realize that.

She's not a toddler. Those rates are much higher. Especially the ones that aren't potty trained.

And the high school kids aren't responsible for the money we've already spent on childcare elsewhere that we can no longer make use of. That's not on them. They deserve a fair rate, imo.

It sucks. But everything sucks right now. For everyone. Except maybe the leaders of Purell and Lysol....

rowrbazzle

How much do you pay for your daughter’s preschool, per week? I know it is a group setting, but these are schools with teachers with degrees and kids having activities throughout the entire day needing constant supervision. My kid went to a fancy preschool and it wasn’t even $750 per week. These HS kids are out of their minds. Best of luck to them though. I’m just checking my email waiting for someone realistic to respond. Lol

It seems you need them more than they need you, though. So perhaps they're not out of their minds. Trying to complete their schoolwork while watching kids (it's not like they're just housesitting) isn't very easy. Offering $50 a day for the added demands and stress must not be enough of an enticement for them.

I say either try to wait them out or up your offer.

Lilofan

Someone interviewed on CNN showed that he wears gloves since he ran out of hand sanitizer during the day. By wearing gloves it makes him not want to touch his face.

21stamps

She's not a toddler. Those rates are much higher. Especially the ones that aren't potty trained.

And the high school kids aren't responsible for the money we've already spent on childcare elsewhere that we can no longer make use of. That's not on them. They deserve a fair rate, imo.

It sucks. But everything sucks right now. For everyone. Except maybe the leaders of Purell and Lysol....

Come on now, I am sure you know the difference in childcare needs between a 4-5 year-old and a just about to be 10-year-old.
It is what it is with these prices right now. I guess I’ll just wait and see what happens. I don’t have any other choice, abd I can’t keep venting.
I’m glad for everyone who isn’t faced with this scenario.

awoogala

Right. Entirely different circumstances. This is school hours where all of them would have been at school, and a steady 3 weeks (minimum) of being paid.
and many of them may work part-time at their colleges or fast food, etc. My son was making $8.50 an hour with no experience at taco bell. He is pt in college, and pulling in $400 a week pt.
So they may also be out of work, and trying to replace their normal income, since many jobs are closed.
Many teens and college kids don't work for fun, they work to pay bills as well. College isn't cheap.

21stamps

and many of them may work part-time at their colleges or fast food, etc. My son was making $8.50 an hour with no experience at taco bell. He is pt in college, and pulling in $400 a week pt.
So they may also be out of work, and trying to replace their normal income, since many jobs are closed.
Many teens and college kids don't work for fun, they work to pay bills as well. College isn't cheap.

The kids in question are 15 and 16. I haven’t had any offers from college aged yet

MrPromey

I don’t need a pity party. I will figure this out. What’s sad is that society doesn’t realize how many women and parents will not be able to figure this out, and will slowly bleed in the process if we are supporting these kind of babysitting rates for parents who still have to work while they’ve already paid for child care for their kids but now schools are closed.

If anyone doesn’t think that will have an impact on our economy, then you’re really not looking at the big picture. Society is doing great things like providing meals to underprivileged children even when school is canceled during this time, they are providing unemployment to people who Cannot work normally due to this. However, there a millions of parents who don’t fit either category there, and will see their expenses so drastically rise.

Thing here is that you're asking a teenager to be the one to bite-the-bullet on their prices to help you. Out of anyone, this is the group that is probably least likely to be swayed by you explaining your other expenses and how you think they are overcharging even though they aren't actually charging more than they normally do. ("Isn't price gouging if I charge you more than normal to watch your kids?")

Maybe you could go at this from another angle and say you expect a discount because you're buying their time in bulk - that it made sense to pay more for shorter spans of time when they had to deal with getting there and dealing with the settle down period and the free time they would have to themselves when it was only for a couple of hours but now that the travel and settle periods will be the same but the time they'll have to themselves is greater, you don't think it's worth as much.

Just saying, I think suggesting their value is worth less per hour on this scale might be a more persuasive argument than "help a brother out - I'm still paying tuition and after school care I'm not using" since that's your problem and not theirs, when they could just as easlly sit home and do whatever they want making no money which might just be fine by them since they haven't encountered the real world you're pulling your hair out trying to deal with, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom