Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

It’s stuff like this that has me worried about the future. Charging those rates at a time like this is just plain wrong. I’m afraid this event is going to bring out the worst in humanity at a time when we need to be at our absolute best.

I don’t think people are even looking at a “time like this”, their brains are just commuting the info to any other standard babysitting scenario. That’s normal, because it’s all we’ve known.. but it’s probably time for people to realize that things are different right now, and maybe we could be just a little bit more caring to the people around us. If that means sitting at someone’s house for 200-250 per week when you wouldn’t/can’t be anywhere else anyway, while taking care of your own responsibilities too.. maybe do it? The alternative is sitting at your own for $0. Win-win in my view.. but I think I’m the in the minority who feels that way.

No one asked for this, people aren’t being irresponsible by not have back up plans. This was literally thrust on all of us.. and we will see how society reacts. Right now I’m afraid, because I don’t think society is realizing this impact and the lack of options that parents are facing.

mousedroid

WDW changed the status of resorts remaining open. They will be closing along with the theme parks.
Does anyone know, off-hand, if Disney has changed their resort reservation cancellation policy? Currently it says there is a $200 charge per room if cancelled with less than 30 days notice. The first day of our reservation is May 3rd, so there's no need for me to do anything yet.

However, if we get to March 30, and Disney changes their closure period to the end of April, then under the current policy I'll have three days to decide whether to cancel our reservation without the $200 penalty. Hopefully we'll have a clearer idea of the situation by then.

arich35

It’s stuff like this that has me worried about the future. Charging those rates at a time like this is just plain wrong. I’m afraid this event is going to bring out the worst in humanity at a time when we need to be at our absolute best.

Would you like all grocery stores to lower their prices on essential items? Or for delivery companies to lower all their rates and not ask for tips? People have to make money somehow.
Maybe those teenagers are going to babysit more to help their family out who are currently jobless.

21stamps

Would you like all grocery stores to lower their prices on essential items? Or for delivery companies to lower all their rates and not ask for tips? People have to make money somehow.
Maybe those teenagers are going to babysit more to help their family out who are currently jobless.

Those are not at all comparable. These are kids who can not be in school, having to do school work from home, all sports and extracurriculars cancelled.. they wouldn’t be babysitting otherwise.

I am in the minority apparently. I can say with certainty that I would never encourage my own child to charge standard rates in this non-standard scenario. It is extra money for them, versus the extra childcare expenses that no parent could have planned for. I feel it’s wrong. To each their own, though.

Lilofan

Try being a delivery driver. Businesses may be looking for some candidates.

rowrbazzle

I do understand rates, I just think since we’re in a situation where kids have to still do schoolwork at that time, and the babysitter would be using a couple of hours where it’s just her/him sitting in my house doing their own schooling.. how would they count that as a normal rate?? That’s what I find so frustrating. They would be doing that work during that time anyway,. But charging me normal rates for being present in the same house even though nothing else is required of them during that 2-3 hours??

These are unprecedented times. I guess I just thought students would see this as opportunity to make some extra money, but not on this scale. Most 15-16 year olds are not making over $250 per week take home.
I’m just shocked.

A coworker once said she didn't think she should pay the normal rate during naptimes because the nanny was just sitting there. Unsurprisingly, this individual went through a lot of nannies.

Most jobs get paid the same rate whether the business is busy or slow. Variable pay based on minute-by-minute demands of the sitter is untenable. What if the kids are extra crazy for an hour or two? Does the sitter get to demand a higher rate for that time?

21stamps

A coworker once said she didn't think she should pay the normal rate during naptimes because the nanny was just sitting there. Unsurprisingly, this individual went through a lot of nannies.

Most jobs get paid the same rate whether the business is busy or slow. Variable pay based on minute-by-minute demands of the sitter is untenable. What if the kids are extra crazy for an hour or two? Does the sitter get to demand a higher rate for that time?

I can’t say any more than I’ve already said. This isn’t a normal babysitter scenario, nor is it a normal time in this country.

I will agree to disagree.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone know, off-hand, if Disney has changed their resort reservation cancellation policy? Currently it says there is a $200 charge per room if cancelled with less than 30 days notice. The first day of our reservation is May 3rd, so there's no need for me to do anything yet.

However, if we get to March 30, and Disney changes their closure period to the end of April, then under the current policy I'll have three days to decide whether to cancel our reservation without the $200 penalty. Hopefully we'll have a clearer idea of the situation by then.
Disney will waive all Disney-imposed change and cancellation fees up to the date of check-in through June 30, 2020.

cindy_k

Just got a DVC update.
"Regarding your reservations, I would like to take this opportunity to clarify a few important points in order to make the change process as smooth as possible. As we have shared, Disney Vacation Club has lifted the close-in reservation cancellation restrictions and will return any of your points back as vacation points or reservation points without placing them into holding. In the meantime, all points banking rules remain in place. While we understand the banking policy might create some frustration, please realize that this is in place to ensure that the membership as a whole avoids future inventory constraints."

Timmay

So...there is currently rumored talk coming out of airports of discussions regarding closing some, if not all, commercial airports here in the US. Came
from a teammate that was on a national crisis call.

Again, not confirmed...but that’s pretty much the definition of a rumor.

LukeS7

So...there is currently rumored talk coming out of airports of discussions regarding closing some, if not all, commercial airports here in the US. Came
from a teammate that was on a national crisis call.

Again, not confirmed...but that’s pretty much the definition of a rumor.
I've heard similar murmurings of a closure beginning at the start of April.

ELG13

I don’t think people are even looking at a “time like this”, their brains are just commuting the info to any other standard babysitting scenario. That’s normal, because it’s all we’ve known.. but it’s probably time for people to realize that things are different right now, and maybe we could be just a little bit more caring to the people around us. If that means sitting at someone’s house for 200-250 per week when you wouldn’t/can’t be anywhere else anyway, while taking care of your own responsibilities too.. maybe do it? The alternative is sitting at your own for $0. Win-win in my view.. but I think I’m the in the minority who feels that way.

No one asked for this, people aren’t being irresponsible by not have back up plans. This was literally thrust on all of us.. and we will see how society reacts. Right now I’m afraid, because I don’t think society is realizing this impact and the lack of options that parents are facing.
I agree with you here. I think most people are just doing their normal rates because it's babysitting and they aren't really thinking about the big picture. I don't think it's good to say this is a bad sign of how humanity bus reacting to this. I wouldn't look at it as price gouging or anything. I think there's just room for negotiation and conversation. If someone wants to offer me $200 a week to watch their kid I will!! Lol

Isher

It may seem like it to you but we no longer have an economy. The same rules do not apply anymore. We’re not talking about what the market will bear, we're talking about taking care of our young. We need to be there for each other right now... at a safe distance of course. ;)

awoogala

Husband usually works from home 50%, Travel 50%. Now it will be 100% at home for the month, at least.
One kid is homeschooled- no change.
The other one does pt CC/pt homeschool, his CC went full online.
I'm a SAHM.
So not much disruption to our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom