Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

I'd also like to know the data on what percentage of US cases require hospitalization. Also, the actual hospital capacity to handle cases. The fear of overwhelming the hospital system could be overblown.

With swine flu, almost 0.5% required hospitalization and somewhere around 20% of the population was infected and it didn't overwhelm the system.

Here is a very detailed article from the NY Times citing CDC studies. A noteworthy quote "And, the calculations based on the C.D.C.’s scenarios suggested, 2.4 million to 21 million people in the United States could require hospitalization, potentially crushing the nation’s medical system, which has only about 925,000 staffed hospital beds. Fewer than a tenth of those are for people who are critically ill."

TrojanUSC

That the cultural representatives at Epcot aren't actually CMs is really incongruous to me. When it comes to that park, I think they're one of the most integral parts.

It's because nearly all of the sit-down restaurants in WS are owned and operated by third parties. In some cases, the pavilions are actually run entirely by a third party.

sndral

Totally sound thinking... but now reply that scenario for someone

- who is under 24
- who works hourly in substandard wages
- who rents instead of owns
- who struggles to meet ends meet due to the rising costs of services compared to wages

Even those with sound fiscal sense would struggle in this scenario. Heck, *I* fret over the cost of a car repair, or a medical bill, and I live well within my means and have tons of liquid assets to deal with any speed bump. But I didn't have that right away - it took a great job and years of prudence to get to that state. But when I look at my adult kids... I can't fault them for stressing out over what missing 2-5 weeks (a full 10% or more of their annual pay) of pay will do to their year.. even if they weather the immediate obligations by using savings.

Is the IRS going to give extensions to those who owe next month? (paying taxes on non payroll income for instance...)
Is the landlord going to give the same kind of grace periods that big banks do because foreclosure is difficult?
etc etc

Heck, imagine your a college senior right now who should be trying to secure your first career job after graduation... this is like putting your life on hold.. even if you have a fiscal parachute to land you safely.
I focused my remarks on that particular poster’s circumstances given they said they were in a panic & losing sleep & as you point out, they aren’t as badly situated as some others.
But yes, this economic crisis will hit some more heavily than others & it’s unfortunate.
Looks like there may be some extensions for taxes https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/tax-compliance/news/21129314/irs-to-delay-tax-season.
And to add to all that, it’s tax season. Hopefully those with an uncertain future are getting a little boost with the refund, but imagine tacking on having to pay when you’re already not sure where you’ll be working at the end of the month.

DisneyCane

Here’s the thing, most people are ignorant. Not necessarily bad, but they view this from a very micro/personal aspect. They think “I don’t have symptoms or I’ll be fine,” but they don’t realize that they can infect others and some will be high risk. They will spread the disease and cause others to suffer and possibly die due to lack of resources. Shame on them for not paying attention.
Shame on them for not doing something that a pre-schooler is taught. I'm not even talking about now but in general. If you are sick why not do something that takes no effort or money to keep others from getting sick? Even if it is just a cold.

Just more evidence of why I think all of this is pointless. No matter what you do there will be selfish morons like the two jackasses on the JetBlue flight that got on a plane knowing they could have COVID-19. SMDH!

disneygeek90

I focused my remarks on that particular poster’s circumstances given they said they were in a panic & losing sleep & as you point out, they aren’t as badly situated as some others.
But yes, this economic crisis will hit some more heavily than others & it’s unfortunate.
Looks like there may be some extensions for taxes https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/tax-compliance/news/21129314/irs-to-delay-tax-season.
I was thinking they may do that. I spent nearly all day at home so I went ahead and completed mine. The IRS approved it 20 mins after turbo tax submission, much quicker than I was expecting.

VJ

That the cultural representatives at Epcot aren't actually CMs is really incongruous to me. When it comes to that park, I think they're one of the most integral parts.
It's like how Bob Chapek called the CMs in Galaxy's Edge characters even though they're just CMs.

LittleBuford

Disney recruits international CMs from around the world to work as "cultural representatives," many are hired into the pavilions at Epcot, most of which are operated by third parties. Given this, they are not technically CMs.

Does the fact that they're hired by a third part really stop them being considered CMs? Disney makes no such distinction publicly.

JoeCamel

Sigh. I am not doing ok today y’all. I know I’ve been all ‘me me me’ and I promise on a normal day I’m not so self absorbed but I’m just TERRIFIED about the future.

So today they told my husband he’ll be working 2 days a week (paid for 5). He will be switching back and forth with his other leader peer. The crew will be working 1 day a week (paid for 5). Managers will be 2-3 days. This is til the end of March presumably.

So anyhow... he’s talked to a few peers and they all seem to think they’ll be paid til whenever Disney opens and that there will not be lay offs (at least in his department/job title) and if there are he’s high enough up in seniority that they won’t get to him. Furthermore his coworker was saying his speciality costs too much to retrain (licenses, special training for pyro and what not).

I go through feeling ok and not feeling ok. I know it’s not all about me and that others are scared too 😖

OK, so you know what is up til the end of the month. Plan, adjust what you can during that time but it sounds to me like he is essential and as long as they can see an end to this the arrangement will continue.

erasure fan1

Just more evidence of why I think all of this is pointless. No matter what you do there will be selfish morons like the two jackasses on the JetBlue flight that got on a plane knowing they could have COVID-19. SMDH!
You can tell people what not to do until you are blue in the face. But especially us on this board should know that effort is just about useless. Look no further than the parks. The amount of people taking photos on dark rides, cutting in line... We live in such a me first society things like this shouldn't shock anyone. And while it's not everyone, with an issue like this virus, it only takes a small percentage to cause a big problem.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sigh. I am not doing ok today y’all. I know I’ve been all ‘me me me’ and I promise on a normal day I’m not so self absorbed but I’m just TERRIFIED about the future.

So today they told my husband he’ll be working 2 days a week (paid for 5). He will be switching back and forth with his other leader peer. The crew will be working 1 day a week (paid for 5). Managers will be 2-3 days. This is til the end of March presumably.

So anyhow... he’s talked to a few peers and they all seem to think they’ll be paid til whenever Disney opens and that there will not be lay offs (at least in his department/job title) and if there are he’s high enough up in seniority that they won’t get to him. Furthermore his coworker was saying his speciality costs too much to retrain (licenses, special training for pyro and what not).

I go through feeling ok and not feeling ok. I know it’s not all about me and that others are scared too 😖
Here’s a more positive way to look at things. There isn’t much about this situation that we can be certain about at this point, but I can say with 100% certainty that WDW will re-open eventually. That doesn’t guarantee that everyone who works there today will still have their same job, but a large number will and there are a lot of other businesses a lot less financially sound that may not make it through this. The people who work for businesses that close are guaranteed to not have their current job when this is all over. The silver lining is that you work for a very financially sound company that isn’t going anywhere and they have agreed to pay you during this closure. That’s more than a lot of people can say at the moment.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I am not afraid from the media.
I do not follow social media.
You are using percentages to state the case that everything is fine.......I am throwing out statistics to prove otherwise, there is a BIG difference.
You can LOL all you want. However, when it comes time for a person in your life to need a ventilator and it goes to a younger person you might see the point some of us already know.
Have fun in your glass house.
You are right that there is a "BIG difference" between 96% and 4%. I also don't follow social media and I also hardly ever watch the news. Are you denying that 96% of people who get this will survive it? That's a very simple question. You are INSISTING that 4% WILL die so what will happen to the other 96%? If you said 15% will wind up on a ventilator then what percentage will NOT based on that math? My calculator says 85% has to be the logical conclusion. I'm just curious as to how you're doing the math.

TrojanUSC

Does the fact that they're hired by a third part really stop them being considered CMs? Disney makes no such distinction publicly.

Yes, they are not paid or employed by Disney. If you ever see any of their Disney IDs (you can often see them clipped to the belt as servers need them to swipe at POS terminals), you'll notice they are green. Walt Disney Co. employees have blue IDs. Both give you access to your work areas, but the green one doesn't provide a discount or other Disney-issued perks.

Fun fact: Until about 10 years ago, there were a variety of ID colors based on your employment status (hourly, salaried, seasonal, temporary, executive, etc) but a lawsuit out of Disneyland by some CMs there who had their personal information compromised led to a clear company-wide system. The only other color that remained was the green, to distinguish between employee and "operating participant," as they are called.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Yes, they are not paid or employed by Disney. If you ever see any of their Disney IDs (you can often see them clipped to the belt as servers need them to swipe at POS terminals), you'll notice they are green. Walt Disney Co. employees have blue IDs. Both give you access to your work areas, but the green one doesn't provide a discount or other perks.

Fun fact: Until about 10 years ago, there were a variety of ID colors (hourly, salaried, seasonal, temporary, etc) but a lawsuit out of Disneyland by some CMs there who had their personal information compromised led to a clear company-wide system. The only other color that remained was the green, to distinguish between employee and "operating participant," as they are called.

I'm not disputing that you are right on a technical level. What I mean is that Disney still presents them to guests as CMs, regardless of how they might be distinguished behind the scenes.

tallica

Yes, they are not paid or employed by Disney. If you ever see any of their Disney IDs (you can often see them clipped to the belt as servers need them to swipe at POS terminals), you'll notice they are green. Walt Disney Co. employees have blue IDs. Both give you access to your work areas, but the green one doesn't provide a discount or other Disney-issued perks.

Fun fact: Until about 10 years ago, there were a variety of ID colors based on your employment status (hourly, salaried, seasonal, temporary, executive, etc) but a lawsuit out of Disneyland by some CMs there who had their personal information compromised led to a clear company-wide system. The only other color that remained was the green, to distinguish between employee and "operating participant," as they are called.
Green are 3rd party and some not all get the same discounts and perks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom