Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimmit

Just spoke with someone close to the sanitation process at WDW. He seemed upbeat that WDW is continuing and will continue to operate as normal. It was said, besides the obvious ramp up of hand sanitation and washing stations, it is business as usual and the spirit and attitude is happy and they could not foresee of any changes to operations.
Glad he is upbeat. However, while I am not privy to the corporate hierarchy of the Disney Corporation I do not believe the sanitation department is the one that calls the big shots.

durangojim

Probably was already commented on earlier, but...don't like that greedy attitude, DIS! Booked Hoop-Dee-Doo for your party of 8? Canceling? No money back on that. But you can guarantee that (if open and willing customers show up) they will rebook those seats you canceled for full price, making double on the same seats. Nice job being jack@$$'s Disney!

View attachment 455796
Last year we had tickets to the Typhoon Lagoon H2O nights and it was rained out. Non refundable as well. I went to the CM at the checkin counter of the GF (we were staying there) and asked what they could do for us. He asked me to wait a minute and then asked if a refund would be acceptable, which it was. Just because it says no refunds doesn't mean it's so.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have to agree. @Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL, we just couldn't do what you propose in this country. It'd be pandemonium.
Shutting everything down and quarantining both the sick and well in whole towns or states would be way less well received. We couldn’t do what they are doing in Italy and what was done in parts of China because I don‘t think people will follow it. If even a small percent of people break quarantine the whole thing fails.

Rimmit

I have to agree. @Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL, we just couldn't do what you propose in this country. It'd be pandemonium.

It’s already becoming pandemonium. People at least need to see we are making a real concerted effort to get ahead of this thing. The WHO report specifically mentions speed is the key to beating this outside of an all out quarantine. You have to find infected people. Quarantine, seek out contacts and quarantine. It’s a lot of effort but it works. The other option is a dead stop like what Italy and China has done.

I do not believe the US has the discipline to do what South Korea did. I suspect we will go The China and Italy route to beat this.

ImperfectPixie

Shutting everything down and quarantining both the sick and well in whole towns or states would be way less well received. We couldn’t do what they are doing in Italy and what was done in parts of China because I don‘t think people will follow it. If even a small percent of people break quarantine the whole thing fails.
Agreed. There's too many ignorant and/or selfish people in the US.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
They're having an emergency meeting -- nothing decided yet.

Howerever, The Metropolitan Opera has just cancelled all of their remaining performances in March.

LukeS7

Just spoke with someone close to the sanitation process at WDW. He seemed upbeat that WDW is continuing and will continue to operate as normal. It was said, besides the obvious ramp up of hand sanitation and washing stations, it is business as usual and the spirit and attitude is happy and they could not foresee of any changes to operations.
Yea, and my direct boss was sure we wouldn't send students home and switch to online instruction and then the President of our college said otherwise. I spoke directly with one of our assistant CIO this morning, asking if there was any updates, he said no but that things have been changed/are being assessed hour-by-hour. CMs are not going to know if the parks are closing or not until the decision has already been made.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
It’s already becoming pandemonium. People at least need to see we are making a real concerted effort to get ahead of this thing. The WHO report specifically mentions speed is the key to beating this outside of an all out quarantine. You have to find infected people. Quarantine, seek out contacts and quarantine. It’s a lot of effort but it works. The other option is a dead stop like what Italy and China has done.

I do not believe the US has the discipline to do what South Korea did. I suspect we will go The China and Italy route to beat this.

I know. Numbness is taking over me, unfortunately.

Rimmit

It fails of the small percent of people are sick. You can threaten with execution like China did or invoke hefty fines or jail time to keep people in line. Is this Marshall law at this point. Yep, but it may be what it takes to prevent this from killing thousands upon thousands on the US.

durangojim

Here is why quick and swift action is needed and why it's no longer reasonable to compare this to influenza. This isn't about people only dying from Covid 19. It's about hospital resources being overwhelmed so people start dying form things they wouldn't have died a month ago because there are no respirators, supplies, nurses, doctors, who are able to help treat the other conditions.
Coronavirus_flattening_curve_1.jpg

Last edited:

VaderTron

Tell all that to the politicians and corporations that run the country.
There are much less of them than everyday citizens. People in general have to decide how things go. If the majority (the key word is "majority", not just "some") stopped accepting that "that's the way things are", or crossing over to the dark side themselves things could be different. But that would take discipline, cooperation, and other words that people don't make much use of anymore.

A simple lesson is with WDW. If the majority of people wanted the park to close they could make it happen. They could cancel their plans and stay home or do something else not involving being surrounded by thousands of people of unknown health condition. If the parks are empty WDW will be closed. No reason to pay CM's if there are no ticket sales, merch purch, etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It fails of the small percent of people are sick. You can threaten with execution like China did or invoke hefty fines or jail time to keep people in line. Is this Marshall law at this point. Yep, but it may be what it takes to prevent this from killing thousands upon thousands on the US.
That’s not going to happen here. Chinese people have fear of an authoritarian government. People here won’t actually fear execution or even fines.

To put this into perspective Wuhan had a full lock down. They suspended trains, planes, buses and closed highways in and out. Now Imagine if the US government said we are doing the same lockdown in Seattle, parts of CA, NY city and Boston. Will they lock people in those towns? Prevent travel? How is that enforced? Send in the military?, send in armed militias? Not happening Without enforcement people will not follow. Italy has put similar travel restrictions in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom