Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
What that person did was clearly stupid but what if your company doesn't give you all your sick time at the beginning of the year like most companies do and they make you earn it bi-weekly at 1.8 hours every 2 weeks and you don't have enough PTO to cover your rent, mortgage, electric, water, car payment, food.. whatever. Then what do you do? Let's say your not even feeling sick but your told your infected. Those are tough choices if you have a family to feed. I know I would do anything to make sure my family is taken care of.

Except stay home while you're sick so you don't add unnecessary risk to the business that employs you potentially causing them to lose money, so they lay you off because you were the root cause.

Just sayin.

DCBaker

Premium Member
But it’s basically a cold. It’s less deadly than the flu, and it’s not illegal to leave the house if you have the flu. I’m not saying we shouldn’t encourage people to stay home when they’re sick - we absolutely should encourage that. But making it criminal to leave the house when sick would be setting a dangerous precedent.

"Covid-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, is much deadlier than seasonal flu but may not spread as easily, World Health Organization officials have reiterated."

deeevo

Except stay home while you're sick so you don't add unnecessary risk to the business that employs you potentially causing them to lose money, so they lay you off because you were the root cause.

Just sayin.

First off I don't care about the business because they really could careless about me and if you think they do your kidding yourself. Now I work for a Fortune 100 company so this may vary but for the most part all they care about is making stockholders happy.
Also I said if I was not feeling the effects of being infected. I never said anything about feeling sick and going to work. I don't do that because I am a wuss when I get sick and stay home as long as I can.
For context all of the hourly employees for the company I work for were told December 15th that in 2020 you will no longer get a lump sum of PTO at the beginning of the year it will be accrued throughout 2020. Pretty crappy thing to do at the end of the year when most people didn't save up their PTO because it has always been a lump sum.
Now how do you think they feel if this gets a little worse. They will probably have to make some important decisions.

Attachments

• 1583345372125.png
    1583345372125.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 60

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This perception is being driven by the media. The head of the WHO stated yesterday that asymptomatic transmission is apparently not happening. Therefore, this should be controllable by identifying people that have symptoms, testing them for this virus and isolating them if they test positive. Additionally, follow the recommended practices of washing hands properly and frequently, not touching your face and public places sanitizing surfaces as much as practical.

Granted China took some extreme actions to slow the spread but even if every case in China was from the Hubei Province, it would only be 0.13% of the population of the province that was infected. For comparison, at least 9.7% of the US population has been infected with influenza this flu season.

With the current knowledge of this virus, the reaction is very over the top. When China took the extreme actions, it was not known how it spread or what the mortality rate was. It could have had a mortality rate like SARS and been as transmissible as influenza. That would have been a global disaster that required drastic actions. As it turns out, the mortality rate is nowhere near the rate of SARS and it doesn't spread as easily as influenza.

So what’s your point?

That’s what the media does now. Decades ago, the consumers of the news made the choice that they didn’t want fact based dry news...they started patronizing pundits and sensationalism.

In a world that seeks equilibrium - this an example of getting what you deserve.

We have another great example going on as I type this in the US. 20 years ago corporations lobbyied their congressman to NOT limit their ability to buy elections...through PACs and SuperPacs. Open for business.

A lot of those same people/pols are going to scream bloody murder as a single guy is forming a superpac right now to flood money into the system to knock them out. Cry now, babies 😂

It’s like Jurassic park...chaos theory

esskay

I think it's fair to say the virus is affecting attendance....FoP has a 95 minute wait....
Yeah absolutely nothing to read into there.

- Mid day lul
- Brand new ride opened over at HWS
- Flower and Garden just started

AK was always going to be the quietest park today.

It's also EMH over at MK tonight so you'll get a fair chunk of on-site folks doing Epcot morning, MK evening.

ELG13

But it’s basically a cold. It’s less deadly than the flu, and it’s not illegal to leave the house if you have the flu. I’m not saying we shouldn’t encourage people to stay home when they’re sick - we absolutely should encourage that. But making it criminal to leave the house when sick would be setting a dangerous precedent.
WHO stated that it's deadlier than the flu....

Weather_Lady

WHO stated that it's deadlier than the flu....

Just to piggyback on this and emphasize it, for the people in the back who still think COVID-19 is less deadly than the flu, or in case it's already been posted here but got buried:

The flu has a mortality rate of about .1% (in other words, 1 in 1,000 people).

COVID-19 (which is a different strain of the virus than has circulated previously, so those who've had a different coronavirus strain are not believed to be immune to it) can be mild, but for some 20% of those who contract it, leads to symptoms serious enough to require treatment at a hospital. It has an average mortality rate of 2-3%, 20-30 times higher than the flu: that is, 2 or 3 out of every 100 people.

That 2-3% is just an average rate, however: the death rates are strongly tied to gender (with nearly twice as many fatalities for men than women) and age, with a mortality rate of only .2% (twice that of the flu) for the under-40 crowd, but mortality rates of 8-15% (80 to 150 times higher than the flu) for those aged 70 and higher. Presumably this explains why more than a third of those who contracted it in Washington state -- the majority of whom seem to have been residents of that one nursing home, meaning they were older individuals with pre-existing conditions -- have died.

This means that as the spouse of someone with severe asthma, and the daughter/stepdaughter of 3 people in their late 70s, 2 of whom have serious preexisting conditions, this outbreak deserves my careful attention.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member

“We know there is new information this week about Coronavirus in Florida,” the spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday.

“We have very stringent sanitation procedures in place at Walt Disney World Resort. We are in close contact with health agencies for information and guidance, and at this time, we are continuing to communicate to our Cast the importance of preventative measures such as frequent handwashing and rigorous cleaning processes.

“For guest convenience, we have placed additional hand sanitizers throughout our parks and resorts and will adjust our protocols as the situation warrants.”

Lilofan

“We know there is new information this week about Coronavirus in Florida,” the spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday.

“We have very stringent sanitation procedures in place at Walt Disney World Resort. We are in close contact with health agencies for information and guidance, and at this time, we are continuing to communicate to our Cast the importance of preventative measures such as frequent handwashing and rigorous cleaning processes.

“For guest convenience, we have placed additional hand sanitizers throughout our parks and resorts and will adjust our protocols as the situation warrants.”
What is rigorous cleaning when there are thousands of guests enjoying the theme park?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom