Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas998

I'm actually hoping that WDW stays open when we go in April (it better be open) - but that huge portions of potential park goers are afraid to go, and the parks are comparatively empty.
That'd be awesome.
And sarcasm aside, I'm not worried about myself, wife, or healthy 18 year old sons.
But if my sons were toddlers, or stroller age (we waited 'till they were beyond stroller age for their first WDW trip, but that's beside the point) then - no, I wouldn't bring them at the present time.
I wouldn't bring an elderly relative either.
Haven't you read the latest reports? Your toddlers are less likely to suffer much from the Wuhan flu than you are. Apparently not a single Teen or younger has suffered any major complications in China.

Lilofan

I know....i do it for a living who wants photos to make you throw up and we can play guess the central florida restaurant? Im kidding...but yeah ice is a food product and ice machine upkeep is one of the most overlooked things out there.
I found it odd that when I worked in the fast food industry when I was younger that when the state inspector came in unannounced that areas were cited in the kitchen but the inspector I recalled did not inspect inside the ice machine. Perhaps it would require him to get and climb a step ladder to take a peek inside the ice machine.

Lilofan

My wife always told me to hurry up when I wiped everything down on the plane because I was embarrassing her. Now I'm far from the only one doing it and she now encourages me.

Years ago I'd get a cold almost every time after taking a flight. Since I started doing that I almost never do. I also always point the vent at my face so I'm breathing as much filtered air as possible.

I am also addicted to hand sanitizer. I've got some level of OCD that leads to all this but I don't seem so crazy anymore!
It's a good thing to wipe down. Something to note it was reported by the Orlando news that human coronaviruses can stay in inanimate surfaces like metal, plastic or glass up to 9 days.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I can see a market developing for designer scented hand sanitizers... Opium, Obsession, Chanel No.5, etc...

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
It's a good thing to wipe down. Something to note it was reported by the Orlando news that human coronaviruses can stay in inanimate surfaces like metal, plastic or glass up to 9 days.

Those numbers don't quite match the science. It's true that a strain of the virus can live up to 9 days on plastic, but not on metal or glass. It's also dependent on surface temperature.

Source: https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext#sec3.1

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Travel and leisure is responding and will have to Just on the perception of this.

American and United instituted a 1 year no fee policy on alterations/cancellations...the hotel operators will likely as well.

Conventions are starting to be postponed.

There’s some grumpy people in the dwarf building.

And let’s be clear...this isn’t directly correlated to infection numbers. They haven’t risen in the US at the rate most feared 2 days ago.

This is about perception - perception is reality. Definitely in travel. Decisions made on a knee jerk now could impact for a long time. Avalanche effect.

DisneyCane

Travel and leisure is responding and will have to Just on the perception of this.

American and United instituted a 1 year no fee policy on alterations/cancellations...the hotel operators will likely as well.

Conventions are starting to be postponed.

There’s some grumpy people in the dwarf building.

And let’s be clear...this isn’t directly correlated to infection numbers. They haven’t risen in the US at the rate most feared 2 days ago.

This is about perception - perception is reality. Definitely in travel. Decisions made on a knee jerk now could impact for a long time. Avalanche effect.

This perception is being driven by the media. The head of the WHO stated yesterday that asymptomatic transmission is apparently not happening. Therefore, this should be controllable by identifying people that have symptoms, testing them for this virus and isolating them if they test positive. Additionally, follow the recommended practices of washing hands properly and frequently, not touching your face and public places sanitizing surfaces as much as practical.

Granted China took some extreme actions to slow the spread but even if every case in China was from the Hubei Province, it would only be 0.13% of the population of the province that was infected. For comparison, at least 9.7% of the US population has been infected with influenza this flu season.

With the current knowledge of this virus, the reaction is very over the top. When China took the extreme actions, it was not known how it spread or what the mortality rate was. It could have had a mortality rate like SARS and been as transmissible as influenza. That would have been a global disaster that required drastic actions. As it turns out, the mortality rate is nowhere near the rate of SARS and it doesn't spread as easily as influenza.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
This sounds great in theory, but there are already reports of people wanting to get tested that either don't qualify because it's "not bad enough" or can't find places for testing.

There are also the carriers who don't show symptoms so they won't get tested because they don't know they may have it.

Polkadotdress

This sounds great in theory, but there are already reports of people wanting to get tested that either don't qualify because it's "not bad enough" or can't find places for testing.

And...this morning CNN is reporting that the 1st coronavirus patient in New Hampshire broke his “home quarantine” and attended a private, invitation-only party. And now there is a 2nd case in the state: someone who interacted with #1.

This is not ever going to be controlled if we have people being negligent like that.

DisneyCane

I know the CDC has relaxed the rules of who should be tested. Supposedly there will be the ability to test 1,000,000 people by the end of this week (we shall see). The risk is that everybody with a sniffle overwhelms the testing locations because they are freaking out.

In reality, anybody with a fever and cough should self isolate as much as possible and then contact their doctor if it seems to be getting worse than a normal cold/flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom