Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota disney fan

OK good to know. Marie
Marie: I do believe that Vitamin C does help with colds. My husband and I used to have severe colds going into bronchitis, sinusitis, etc for most of the winter. Then I tried Vitamin C 1000 mg a day in the summer. That winter I Zero colds or other respiratory problems. My husband was skeptical. Then the next winter, I had zero colds, etc. I didnt' change my eating habits or anything else about my regimen. So, my husband started Vitamin C500mg/day. He did not have one sinus infection or severe cold at all. It has been 5 years since then and we both still don't get colds like we used to every winter. If we do get a cold, it is light and over within a day.
Did the Vitamin C only do it? I don't know, but nothing else was used and we had severe problems with colds, etc, each winter. It is such a relief to Not have that problem anymore. I know that this is our subjective reporting, and you will only know if you try yourself. It does take several months to start to work, at least during the summer months for us. Vitamin C is removed from the body through the urine, so there is no fear of a "build up" of it. The body uses what is needed and the rest is removed.

wannabeBelle

Marie: I do believe that Vitamin C does help with colds. My husband and I used to have severe colds going into bronchitis, sinusitis, etc for most of the winter. Then I tried Vitamin C 1000 mg a day in the summer. That winter I Zero colds or other respiratory problems. My husband was skeptical. Then the next winter, I had zero colds, etc. I didnt' change my eating habits or anything else about my regimen. So, my husband started Vitamin C500mg/day. He did not have one sinus infection or severe cold at all. It has been 5 years since then and we both still don't get colds like we used to every winter. If we do get a cold, it is light and over within a day.
Did the Vitamin C only do it? I don't know, but nothing else was used and we had severe problems with colds, etc, each winter. It is such a relief to Not have that problem anymore. I know that this is our subjective reporting, and you will only know if you try yourself. It does take several months to start to work, at least during the summer months for us. Vitamin C is removed from the body through the urine, so there is no fear of a "build up" of it. The body uses what is needed and the rest is removed.
I agree I have used Airborne when traveling and haven't gotten sick with any cold like symptoms so I am going with it. Here is to happy healthy travels for all of us!! Marie

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Just what WE do.... All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong....

Far more than the WDW Parks? Worry about that FLIGHT to WDW.

For years, we have worn proper N95 masks on flights, and in airports. Wise non-CDC guidance now recommends a wipe-down of known infection Airplane seat areas (headrest, tray table, computer screen, armrests) with a good Chlorox or Lysol wipe. Carry these. Equally useful on MDE.

Hotel room? Wipe-down phone, TV remote, door handles, toilet area (Chlorox or Lysol wipe).

CARRY hand sanitizer with a minimum of 65% Ethanol, or pure 70% Isopropanol. Every ride? Dig it out when done, and use it. Hands, and rub your face.

Restrooms? Small baggy, with Chlorox or Lysol wipes.

CDC crowd suggestions - "maintain a 3 Ft distance from someone that MIGHT be infected". This will have an effect in queues. WDW likes to pack people. I would suggest - resist. THIS is the big one, in a park. Maintain distance. If you can not do this? Consider a GREAT product from "Debriefme" - very LIGHT N99 masks. We have two:

When you walk by someone, and they sneeze or cough? Learn the instinctive trick of holding your breath, until clear of that person (a good 6 feet).

"All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong."

Benjamin_Nicholas

You may not be worrying while you're over there, but there's a lot of other people who are.

Well, yeah. It's one thing to be here for six weeks, quite another permanently.

My point is that in places like Seoul (where I am), people don't have time to sit and worry. They keep moving.

Benjamin_Nicholas

Benjamin_Nicholas

When you walk by someone, and they sneeze or cough? Learn the instinctive trick of holding your breath, until clear of that person (a good 6 feet)

Useless without sealed eye protection as well as knowing that micro-droplets coming from the mouth/nose infected person haven't landed on your face, hair, arms or hands.

That's a major reason why face masks are useless unless you already are infected. They serve to keep those micro-droplets from spraying outward. They do next to nothing in keeping you healthy.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Vox and HuffPost?

Why not go with a reliable source like the CDC

Magenta Panther

Vox and HuffPost?

Well, sometimes the CDC isn't very PC, don't you know... ;) BTW, love your avatar.

Jon81uk

Vox and HuffPost?

and that states
"
VITAMIN C

Taking vitamin C supplements regularly reduces the risk of catching a cold among people who perform intense physical exercise but not in the general population. Taking vitamin C on a regular basis may lead to shorter colds, but taking it only after a cold starts does not. Vitamin C supplements appear safe, even at high doses.
"

Therefore for the general population who do not perform intense physical exercise it doesn't have an effect on reducing the risk of catching a cold, although it may lead to a shorter cold.
It seems there is nothing wrong with taking vitamin C, but it may or may not have an effect on your chances of catching a cold.

Disney.Mike

and that states
"
VITAMIN C

Taking vitamin C supplements regularly reduces the risk of catching a cold among people who perform intense physical exercise but not in the general population. Taking vitamin C on a regular basis may lead to shorter colds, but taking it only after a cold starts does not. Vitamin C supplements appear safe, even at high doses.
"

Therefore for the general population who do not perform intense physical exercise it doesn't have an effect on reducing the risk of catching a cold, although it may lead to a shorter cold.
It seems there is nothing wrong with taking vitamin C, but it may or may not have an effect on your chances of catching a cold.

To be fair, in the US we have started calling walking up a flight of stairs intense physical exercise...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
and that states
"
VITAMIN C

"

And what is trudging seven miles a day through crowded theme parks in the Florida climate if not intense physical exercise?

If you're going to catch a cold, why not do what you can to make it shorter? And you can find Vitamin C supplements containing supplemental Zinc as well, so it's a two-fer against drawn out colds. And it's good for your gums and tooth connective tissue, so that's another win for Team Vitamin C.

There's nothing wrong with staying on property, but it may or may not have an effect on your chances of getting that FP+ you want... ;)

Benjamin_Nicholas

Vox and HuffPost?

CDC is dry as a bone. The info in the links I posted isn't incorrect, they simply put the info in easier to digest forms.

What I posted was regarding preventative, not after-the-fact. Yes, Zinc and C can shorten colds, but the research remains a little grey as to how long and when you need to start supplementing to achieve this.

My main concern was mask usage. It's nearly worthless if you're not already sick.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
CDC is dry as a bone. The info in the links I posted isn't incorrect, they simply put the info in easier to digest forms.

What I posted was regarding preventative, not after-the-fact. Yes, Zinc and C can shorten colds, but the research remains a little grey as to how long and when you need to start supplementing to achieve this.

My main concern was mask usage. It's nearly worthless if you're not already sick.
So what we need is a full-face mask that infuses Vitamin C and Zinc while you breathe... :cool:

Disorbust

There was a class action lawsuit against airborne for false claims. This form of cornona has killed mostly eldery but health adults as well including the MD who brought the virus to the worlds attention. As far as the American health care system we can barely handle the flu, lol. Which is more concerning IMHO. I think it's inevitable that it spread across the US unless the develop and distribute a vaccine in a hurry. Would I change my lifestyle or travel plans no but I would be using standard precautions like hand washing etc.

Heppenheimer

As of today, there have been 15 confirmed cases in the US, and 8 in Canada, with only 1 death in Canada and none in the US. All 23 of these cases were acquired in China, minus 2 family members who contracted the disease from one of the cases that returned from China with the virus. Compare this to the 74,675 confirmed cases and 2,121 deaths in China.

Currently, all direct flights from China to the US are limited to 11 airports, where every passenger undergoes intense screening before they are allowed to leave. So far, community acquired infections have been limited to China, so unless this changes, the only place new cases in the US could come from are China, and that route of spread seems to be successfully blocked at present.

So far, the coordination between the CDC, the WHO and all the various national health organizations has been pretty impressive. I'm cautiously optimistic that they have this one under control.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So far, the coordination between the CDC, the WHO and all the various national health organizations has been pretty impressive. I'm cautiously optimistic that they have this one under control.
The Director of the WHO doesn't share your optimism...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom