Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrlandoRising

My comment wasn't about an official recommendation about when to get boosters. It was a comment about roughly how long the vaccine does a strong job of preventing infection.
Fair enough, but again, that length of protection changed due to omicron. Boosters still provide a great deal of protection against hospitalization and death past two months and that's the more important metric.
I looked this up after my positive test a month ago. Apparently it is very, very, hard to test positive again so recently. You should be in the clear for at least a few months especially if it's the same strain that's in control.
That's generally correct, though there have been isolated cases of reinfection as short as 20 days since omicron became dominant: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article260631077.html
What are the odds of masks being reintroduced in say October? Is it likely, or have we moved past that now?
Without getting into the politics of such a decision, I think the vast majority of public health officials would only recommend such a move if there was a new variant that could cause a significant increase in the rate of severe infections among the previously-infected and vaccinated and there's a significant risk of overwhelming hospitals.

LoopdeDoo

Not a chance. Masks are definitely done.
What makes you so sure though? They only got dropped a couple of months ago and the drama is already ramping up about these new variants. Will Disney fold and revert? I don’t know whether to take the chance and book. Really no clue where they stand on the whole thing any more. They’re being brought back rapidly in California.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Only one county in the entire state (Alameda) has returned to an indoor mask mandate. Just one.

And their County Health officer has sole discretion to make the decision regarding the mandate, the politicians and citizens have absolutely no say. Crazy that they’ve given one person absolute power over them.

When formerly equally cautious places like Berkeley next door don’t follow his mandate, places like New York are announcing they are dropping their mandate for kids, and the Feds are announcing they are dropping their mandate for incoming travelers I wouldn’t let one persons decision in Alameda cause much concern.

correcaminos

What makes you so sure though? They only got dropped a couple of months ago and the drama is already ramping up about these new variants. Will Disney fold and revert? I don’t know whether to take the chance and book. Really no clue where they stand on the whole thing any more. They’re being brought back rapidly in California.
Both Orange and Osceola counties are high on the CDC map. No masks. I think that ship has sailed

LA officials are saying to mask up before it inevitably becomes mandatory.
LA and FL are worlds apart. In my state one county was mandatory for a short while. Much like FL the areas that were high wouldn't go back. Numbers have dropped in those areas again so no more masks.

Heelz2315

I think what could turn the mask tide is hospitalizations. If they get tight WDW could look at bringing them back. I’m not sure what’s going on in Orange co FL as far as that goes. Even if they get close to making them rethink the masks they may wait a week or two to see if levels drop. I don’t think they want to bring them back at all and will do everything possible not to do it

But then again with WDW who knows what the use to decide these mandates

correcaminos

I think what could turn the mask tide is hospitalizations. If they get tight WDW could look at bringing them back. I’m not sure what’s going on in Orange co FL as far as that goes. Even if they get close to making them rethink the masks they may wait a week or two to see if levels drop. I don’t think they want to bring them back at all and will do everything possible not to do it

But then again with WDW who knows what the use to decide these mandates
Bingo...

Looking at the CDC page hospitalizations are up in both counties but ICU increase is small percent. I think we should have new case numbers tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom