Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Whole family stayed at the Poly this last week. KN-95 masked on bus/monorail but ate indoors 4x, rode rides etc. Thought we had a bit of drip from dry AC air, then our 2 year old woke up from his nap on our 2nd to last day with a fever and we went, "oh crap." Took a test, I was immediately positive, wife had very faint line.

We had avoided it for 2+ years (because of said 2 year old) and knew there was a risk.

Cancelled flight home, lost our last park day, got a rental car and drove 18 hours back to NJ to not put others at risk.

Everyone is feeling okay overall other than throat scratchiness, and Motrin seems to be controlling the kids fever with no issues.

I let Disney know before we left, and the manager did call me back, they offered to work with us to extend our stay if necessary, but we were more concerned about them sending housekeeping into our room without informing them since they don't mask prevalently either from what I saw.

Seems like if your risk tolerance is low, now is not the time to head there unless you're willing to really alter how you plan to do WDW.

*Edit based on timing of who got it strongest first, we think I either picked it up waiting to order late night food at Captain Cook's or taking my son into a busy bathroom to change him in Epcot. But who really knows at this point.
Glad you guys are feeling okay! Chances are pretty good the housekeepers have already had it if they aren't masking, but good looking out! We were super careful until my daughter bright it home from school the first week after the mask mandate was dropped, and then we did enjoy a little freedom not wearing a mask everywhere for a little while. Hope you guys continue to feel better!

Ayla

It might have finally got me, I’ve been fighting allergy symptoms all week so I decided to take a home test and there’s a faint line, booked a rapid test at Walgreens for tomorrow to be sure.

The weird thing is I have every single symptom for allergies (runny nose, congestion, itchy eyes, and cough) but none of the other symptoms for Covid that aren’t also on the allergy list (no fever, no loss of taste, no aches and/or pains, no headache, no shortness of breathe, etc).

Guess I’ll find out tomorrow but IF this is Covid it feels identical to bad allergies.
Those are the same symptoms I have and my positive line showed up in under 30 secs. No waiting 15 minutes for the results.
3006E996-CA8D-4E46-9749-0717C50571D7.jpeg

Gringrinngghost

What are they supposed to do? It's up to the individual to protect themselves, NOT others. Why is this so hard to comprehend? If they feel Disney isn't doing enough to "protect" them, they're free to find a new employer.
AJ, I just said they are doing jack to mitigate spread. To be 100% precise here for you, the comment on doing jack is my editorializing. Outside of that, I’m not talking about their attempts at trying to protect employees nor am I talking about what employees think. I am talking about what’s going on.

To be quite frank if it was more so a mass feeling amongst employees, I wouldn’t be sharing it here. I have other methods to disseminate that information that doesn’t need this site at the very least let alone being in the public — and would be easier to get answers.

I’m just letting people know what they won’t tell you — which is at this moment, there is currently what can be seen as a superspreader among the indoor locations. Also for those who didn’t hear/know, the Guardians of the Galaxy Media Event also had some spread.

So I will answer this specifically:
It's up to the individual to protect themselves, NOT others. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Yes, it’s up to the individual to protect themselves, not others. HOWEVER, when you don’t know what’s going on, you can get a false sense of security. Especially with everything on the honor system. We just can’t blindly trust people. (Yes, I get the irony on the fact that one would have to blindly trust me.)

That’s why I’m sharing here about the spreading of COVID in the indoor locations. Because nobody’s in the park is going to tell you, and legally you can’t sue the parks if you get it, because you ticked off on the liability waiver.

That being said, there are people who can’t medically get the vaccines or booster for whatever reason. They might think everything’s fine when it’s not beyond the surface level. I’m looking out for those guests. Somebody has to.

Born with a scarlet letter on our tongues
The words we say can not be unsung
No, they live forever on
We're here tonight, we fight for one another
Come with me, my sister, my brother
A new day is dawning,
It's all we ever wanted
Was this:
Just a moment to coexist.

lisa12000

Just as a comparison - cases rose in the uk quite substantially in the early spring but hospital levels never got anywhere near the worst projections given out in some quarters. Although I get cases tell you trends surely it’s time to get away from that and look at hospital capacity etc and begin to worry if that is getting stretched again

I’m incredibly grateful (despite what I know some may say) that the uk government resisted the calls for restrictions to be bought back in in the new year and carried on with their living with covid strategy. We have been living almost restriction free for 8/9 months now at home, with travel restrictions totally gone since March time. It has allowed me to have the confidence to travel again especially in Europe where testing has disappeared virtually and life feels normal again.

I just really wish that you guys would drop the testing requirement a day befofe we travel to you - it doesn’t make for a pleasant holiday build up for sure.

Heelz2315

Just as a comparison - cases rose in the uk quite substantially in the early spring but hospital levels never got anywhere near the worst projections given out in some quarters. Although I get cases tell you trends surely it’s time to get away from that and look at hospital capacity etc and begin to worry if that is getting stretched again

I think that's what the new CDC guidelines did, was mainly focus on hospitalizations not so much cases. I could be wrong though. I also feel like no matter what goes on, no matter what category (green/yellow/red) your location is in, most are reluctant to bring back any mitigations. It just feels that way.

correcaminos

Surely you can understand why it isn't a good idea for people who are actively sick to get on a plane and travel to another country.
Did you read their post to understand their view? It isn't but testing to travel is stressful tbh. And really after a friend went on a cruise where they all had to test to get on and still there was a mild spread among their group, I wonder how effective testing to travel is. Many countries have no testing requirement at this time.

Angel Ariel

Our county is back in medium according to new CDC guidelines. which to my understanding is now based more on hospitalizations. CDC level was low when I had to go in to the ER last month (ended up with unexpected surgery a few days later), and wait times for the ER were really high then. I spent probably around 12 hours in ER over the course of 2 days before being sent home with narcotics to wait for surgery 4 days later. I feel for families who end up in the hospital as hospitalizations increase again as it impacts care all around, esp. with the staff shortages.

Communicora

Premium Member
Did you read their post to understand their view? It isn't but testing to travel is stressful tbh. And really after a friend went on a cruise where they all had to test to get on and still there was a mild spread among their group, I wonder how effective testing to travel is. Many countries have no testing requirement at this time.
Of course I read their post. Yes, testing before travel is stressful, but surely we can all understand the logic behind not wanting people with an active respiratory infection to board a flight and travel to another country. It's disingenuous to suggest it isn't needed just because someone eventually picked up covid on a multi-day cruise.

I hope we keep the requirement until this situation is more in hand. Many countries have a more vaccinated population than we do.

correcaminos

Of course I read their post. Yes, testing before travel is stressful, but surely we can all understand the logic behind not wanting people with an active respiratory infection to board a flight and travel to another country. It's disingenuous to suggest it isn't needed just because someone eventually picked up covid on a multi-day cruise.

I hope we keep the requirement until this situation is more in hand. Many countries have a more vaccinated population than we do.
True one shouldn't travel while sick, but let's be real here. We don't test under 2. We don't test for any other method of entry to the US. My point on the cruise was they all tested PRIOR to embarking. On day 2 someone fell ill. Testing a day before leaving doesn't stop sick people from traveling. They just have a negative test. Much like I had one for this sinus crap from allergies. What if it was a false negative? Doesn't help much does it?

It's a fallacy to believe this will be foolproof in keeping sick people off planes. It's also strange to bring up vaccination rates of other countries when we are making it harder for them to come in.

Heelz2315

Speaking of planes, and air travel. Does anyone know the status of the DOJ's appeal to the mask mandate on transportation? I know the CDC's original requirement extension expired on 5/3 and the DOJ appealed due to the Federal Court Judge overturning it. Not sure what or if any next steps will be taken.

Communicora

Premium Member
True one shouldn't travel while sick, but let's be real here. We don't test under 2. We don't test for any other method of entry to the US. My point on the cruise was they all tested PRIOR to embarking. On day 2 someone fell ill. Testing a day before leaving doesn't stop sick people from traveling. They just have a negative test. Much like I had one for this sinus crap from allergies. What if it was a false negative? Doesn't help much does it?

It's a fallacy to believe this will be foolproof in keeping sick people off planes. It's also strange to bring up vaccination rates of other countries when we are making it harder for them to come in.
Who claimed it was foolproof? To put it plainly, testing does help. It doesn't catch 100% of cases, especially when people are recently exposed, but it reduces the likelihood that someone who is actively infectious can board a plane and enter the country.

Those countries feel safer loosening travel restrictions to their country because they have a higher vaccination rate within their country. It's not complicated to understand.

Chip Chipperson

The reason I support testing requirements is that even though I understand and accept that they won't be 100% effective at catching illnesses before someone travels here or takes a cruise, I know that limiting the spread as much as is realistically possible is a good thing. I took a DCL cruise in February and had to test at the port in addition to providing proof of vaccination. It was stressful waiting for the results, but it also gave me and my family the peace of mind knowing that the testing requirement drastically reduced the odds of there being a big outbreak of COVID-19 on the ship.

Wendy Pleakley

Who claimed it was foolproof? To put it plainly, testing does help. It doesn't catch 100% of cases, especially when people are recently exposed, but it reduces the likelihood that someone who is actively infectious can board a plane and enter the country.

Those countries feel safer loosening travel restrictions to their country because they have a higher vaccination rate within their country. It's not complicated to understand.

I just find it odd because the policy is in stark contrast to the general approach in the USA right now which is to live with COVID and not have any restrictions.

Does it make sense to test air travelers? Sure, but when people are travelling to tourist destinations like WDW where there are no restrictions despite a third of guests likely unvaccinated, what's the point?

Joesixtoe

Does it make sense to test air travelers? Sure, but when people are travelling to tourist destinations like WDW where there are no restrictions despite a third of guests likely unvaccinated, what's the point?
Vaccines do not stop transmission. I wouldn't worry at all about the unvaccinated. Also Most of those unvaccinated probably have had covid and thus have the antibodies as well. Vaccinated have antibodies, recovered have antibodies equals hopefully we end up at the same conclusion. Protect yourself the way you see is best for you.

correcaminos

Look I get why they test, I just can understand what the poster was saying. I really don't honestly care what they do. If testing is required I will not travel for stress purposes only. Many feel that way too. That's simply it. The tone to the reply is what got me at first.

Nothing is foolproof but given what just happened on a friend's cruise I do question it more than I did before. Just pointing that out.

Not to mention I can travel anywhere in the mainland without issues. Seems a bit I dunno... like we're full of ourselves. We're fine with our lower vaccination rates but let's keep all others from wanting to come.

mmascari

I just find it odd because the policy is in stark contrast to the general approach in the USA right now which is to live with COVID and not have any restrictions.
There's a subtlety in there, that's not quite no restrictions. In very classic US behavior, it's no restrictions for me, but there can be lots of restrictions for you. For various definitions of "me" and "you".

It's not really air travelers though is it? I don't remember any restrictions for domestic flights. It's for "international air travelers". So, in this case the "you" is someone traveling internationally. A group small enough that the rest of the "me" isn't complaining. Yet still a group large enough, and a large enough virus vector, to make the restrictions worthwhile.

I'm not saying any of this is good or bad, just what it is and why the difference in requirements may look strange, but can also be consistent.

If it was me, in my all powerful role as dictator of everything, I would rapid test everyone as they enter the line for airport security, mask them all in line (to prevent cross exposure in line), and not let them through the metal detectors if anyone in their party tests positive. At every airport, instant 15 minute security line everywhere. It wouldn't be 100%, but it would certainly weed out a lot of transmission and spread.

I do not have this role, much to my disappointment. Probably for best, I doubt I could be trusted not to abuse it for personal gain.

correcaminos

There's a subtlety in there, that's not quite no restrictions. In very classic US behavior, it's no restrictions for me, but there can be lots of restrictions for you. For various definitions of "me" and "you".

It's not really air travelers though is it? I don't remember any restrictions for domestic flights. It's for "international air travelers". So, in this case the "you" is someone traveling internationally. A group small enough that the rest of the "me" isn't complaining. Yet still a group large enough, and a large enough virus vector, to make the restrictions worthwhile.

I'm not saying any of this is good or bad, just what it is and why the difference in requirements may look strange, but can also be consistent.

If it was me, in my all powerful role as dictator of everything, I would rapid test everyone as they enter the line for airport security, mask them all in line (to prevent cross exposure in line), and not let them through the metal detectors if anyone in their party tests positive. At every airport, instant 15 minute security line everywhere. It wouldn't be 100%, but it would certainly weed out a lot of transmission and spread.

I do not have this role, much to my disappointment. Probably for best, I doubt I could be trusted not to abuse it for personal gain.
And this level of stress would cause airlines to fold. I'd actually drive and I cannot tolerate distances in cars well if this were required.

We all have our own levels we're comfortable with. That stress though? Nope. Not going to put myself through that.

I guess I don't see your point with air differences. To me it is a smaller portion coming in and out of the US vs those traveling domestically. So why single out the smaller group? I guess I don't find it as consistent as you do.

You know me. Not trying to be a brat just talking points. I really am less invested in testing than people think. I just deal with anxiety and know my levels

Lilofan

Our county is back in medium according to new CDC guidelines. which to my understanding is now based more on hospitalizations. CDC level was low when I had to go in to the ER last month (ended up with unexpected surgery a few days later), and wait times for the ER were really high then. I spent probably around 12 hours in ER over the course of 2 days before being sent home with narcotics to wait for surgery 4 days later. I feel for families who end up in the hospital as hospitalizations increase again as it impacts care all around, esp. with the staff shortages.
My family member is in the hospital for non Covid illness. I can see the burnout of the RNs. Some I met can’t even handle 3 13 hour days then 4 days off a week. Some split their 3 day work week so they can rest more during the week. The nurse assistants that do an awesome job are also made up of nursing students in college studying to be an RN. Nothing like real world learning that you can never learn in the classroom. Most RNs one RN told me in the hospital are under age 30. I was told a number quit because of the high stress or become RNs in non hospital facilities as a different way to be an RN.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom