Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQ

It's both.

It's frustrating that the decision might not be based on risk factors, science, safety, etc.

The fact that some adults continue to act like toddlers and that we have to appease them in some way is infuriating.

They shouldn't be a factor.
I agree. However, the requirement, as it stands today, isn't very science based either. Not trying to get into a mask debate. If the requirement were that all passengers must wear an N-95 or equivalent mask, then that would have a basis in science. But where the requirement is "a face covering" then it's not. The science proves the aircraft filtration is highly effective, but won't do much to protect you from the passenger sitting right next to you as the air you're breathing won't be filtered before whatever they are exhaling gets in contact. But the non N95 mask they, or even you, may be wearing won't help much either.

Chip Chipperson

I'm not thrilled at the notion of dropping mask requirements because it causes people to act out on flights. It feels like rewarding bad behaviour.

Dropping testing requirements is fine. COVID in the age of Omicron is so contagious that one can catch it anywhere, so moving into personal risk territory is okay with me.

However, I'd feel a lot better about that if vaccinations would be required for all flights, and that's something I don't see happening in the USA at least.

It also feels like a short-sighted request considering these same CEOs were recently lamenting having to cancel thousands of flights due to staffing issues that were at least partially caused by COVID-19 outbreaks. Do they think their flight crews will have fewer cases if masks are no longer required in airports and on flights?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It also feels like a short-sighted request considering these same CEOs were recently lamenting having to cancel thousands of flights due to staffing issues that were at least partially caused by COVID-19 outbreaks. Do they think their flight crews will have fewer cases if masks are no longer required in airports and on flights?
To put it simply, they are looking to provide relief for their staff and encourage travel throughout the world.

correcaminos

I agree. However, the requirement, as it stands today, isn't very science based either. Not trying to get into a mask debate. If the requirement were that all passengers must wear an N-95 or equivalent mask, then that would have a basis in science. But where the requirement is "a face covering" then it's not. The science proves the aircraft filtration is highly effective, but won't do much to protect you from the passenger sitting right next to you as the air you're breathing won't be filtered before whatever they are exhaling gets in contact. But the non N95 mask they, or even you, may be wearing won't help much either.
Let's never forget small faces at best can do only KN94s. No N95s. And they haven't been studied on little ones. All to be said the reason why surgical are not as effective because of fit. You fix that they are good

DisneyDebRob

To put it simply, they are looking to provide relief for their staff and encourage travel throughout the world.
I get the provide relief for their staff. They should be pushing that. Get rid of the “ encourage travel around the world” when they are still canceling hundreds of flights because of the shortages of pilots, employees etc. When you are still upsetting and ruining peoples vacations because you are planning to many flights then canceling them a week or two before they are expected to fly, the last thing you should be doing is that exact thing. Airlines are a mess right now. Get your house in order, then push for people to book.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I get the provide relief for their staff. They should be pushing that. Get rid of the “ encourage travel around the world” when they are still canceling hundreds of flights because of the shortages of pilots, employees etc. When you are still upsetting and ruining peoples vacations because you are planning to many flights then canceling them a week or two before they are expected to fly, the last thing you should be doing is that exact thing. Airlines are a mess right now. Get your house in order, then push for people to book.
Well, they were cancelling when they had cases due to omicron. That has subsided. The next big cancellation in the US was due to winter storms. Then we had a block of cancellations throughout the world due to the Russia war. Then we have had flights shift due to just not enough people booking, which continues. Also fuel costs now... So it is a mixed bag. Really, the expectation to get "their house in order" as you say, in unordinary times, is maybe a bit unfair.

In-flight service...that is another story...

DisneyDebRob

Well, they were cancelling when they had cases due to omicron. That has subsided. The next big cancellation in the US was due to winter storms. Then we had a block of cancellations throughout the world due to the Russia war. Then we have had flights shift due to just not enough people booking, which continues. Also fuel costs now... So it is a mixed bag. Really, the expectation to get "their house in order" as you say, in unordinary times, is maybe a bit unfair.

In-flight service...that is another story...
Ill direct you to my travel agent wife that has been dealing with the airlines and her clients over the last 6 months, right into this weekend. I dont think its unfair for any company to not oversell if they cant deliver what they are selling. If your unsure of the employees that will be on hand in a month or two, slow down sales. They continue to sell as they are at 100% compliment, they are not.

Flugell

Just a thought on flight related Covid-19 restrictions.
If someone on the flight has a serious nut allergy then nuts aren’t served and announcements are made asking people not to eat/open nuts that they have brought on board themselves. If a person is classified as immunocompromised and has the paperwork to prove it, is it unreasonable to ask people on that flight to wear a mask for the duration of the flight to help preserve life? It is a comparable situation to the danger of an allergic reaction caused by a nut allergy, though does impact more on the remaining passengers. I realise this would probably annoy many fellow passengers, whilst many would understand.
My husband is severely immunocompromised so my perspective is obviously biased because without that sort of understanding and assistance I doubt that we will ever be able to fly again.
Perhaps one flight per day/week could remain “masked” to avoid impacting other passengers and would cater for the vulnerable. Thoughts please!

SingleRider

If that's all there is to the rules, then that is really problematic whether it's 30 or 60 days. I would think there would have to be at least some other criteria to believe that COVID was the cause of death.

Agreed. If I test positive for Covid and two weeks later I get hit and killed by a drunk driver that isn’t a Covid death.

Lilofan

Ill direct you to my travel agent wife that has been dealing with the airlines and her clients over the last 6 months, right into this weekend. I dont think its unfair for any company to not oversell if they cant deliver what they are selling. If your unsure of the employees that will be on hand in a month or two, slow down sales. They continue to sell as they are at 100% compliment, they are not.
Airlines overbooking flights is common practice to maximize revenue. This has been going on for decades. One time I was tempted to take the $300 voucher and free hotel room and food to catch a flight the next day but I turned down giving up my seat and boarded the oversold flight.

DisneyDebRob

If someone on the flight has a serious nut allergy then nuts aren’t served and announcements are made asking people not to eat/open nuts that they have brought on board themselves. If a person is classified as immunocompromised and has the paperwork to prove it, is it unreasonable to ask people on that flight to wear a mask for the duration of the flight to help preserve life? It is a comparable situation to the danger of an allergic reaction caused by a nut allergy, though does impact more on the remaining passengers. I realise this would probably annoy many fellow passengers, whilst many would understand.
My husband is severely immunocompromised so my perspective is obviously biased because without that sort of understanding and assistance I doubt that we will ever be able to fly again.
Perhaps one flight per day/week could remain “masked” to avoid impacting other passengers and would cater for the vulnerable. Thoughts please!
After a few minutes thinking here.. maybe they could do it like how they did it with smokers back in the day. Maybe have sections on the plane for masked and unmasked? Sounds weird but it could work. Just book the section you are most comfortable in.

correcaminos

Based on how airlfow is yes that would be unreasonable. A few rows at best. Plus who is going to provide these masks and what happens if you are like me and a k95 is useless and ill fitting?

I understand your reasoning but the ask is bigger and really not necessary based on how airflow is. You truly only need one row as that is how it circulates so I suggest buying a row of tickets if you need. Plus I haven't had nuts served on a plane in years sadly. They even took away pretzels and have horrible snack packs that I am allergic to. Darn it. One flight he offered pretzels and I took it thinking it was pretzels. Opened it and tossed it immediately.

All said I would wear and do wear when asked. I cannot wear K95s and have a few KN94s that I could wear but don't carry often. Surgical I can manipulate to be better.

Wendy Pleakley

Yep, and that's all I'm saying. If the science says masks aren't necessary, so be it. I'm just not happy that so many decisions seem to come not from science, but from people simply not liking to do certain things or acting a certain way.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Just Dear Wife & I....

We've worn N95 masks on ANY airplane headed to MCO, since 2012. It has nothing to do with today's Plague.

It has EVERYTHING to do with Sick Kids. Colds, Flu, maybe Ebola :). You see, those wonderful Parents had to PAY for that trip, about 1 year ago. Sick Child? "WE ARE GOING, DAMMIT!".

Hence, the masks 😅 . Going to wear them forever 😅.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom