Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued long-awaited new guidance Friday on when Americans should consider wearing masks to protect themselves against Covid-19. Under the new guidance, roughly 70% of the U.S. population can now contemplate removing their masks.

The guidance lays out a system that designates individual counties as being at either low, medium, or high risk of Covid transmission. Roughly 62.6% of counties — home to 71.7% of Americans — fall into the low- and medium-risk categories.

Most people living in counties where the risk is designated as low or medium are not being urged to wear masks; people who are at high risk from Covid-19 and who live in counties listed as being at medium risk should talk with their health care providers about whether they should wear a mask.

People who live in counties where the risk of transmission is high — currently 28.2% of Americans — should wear masks in indoor public settings, including schools, the guidance states.

View attachment 624180

The new system uses several metrics to calculate the risk in individual communities, moving beyond sheer numbers of new cases to look at how well the health care system in each county is holding up. The idea, the CDC said, is to focus on minimizing severe disease and ensuring that hospitals are able to function.

The guidance comes as jurisdictions across the country have lifted mask mandates or have announced plans to lift them.

Though the guidance will give people in much of the country a green light to take off their masks in public settings, the CDC noted that they may choose to continue to wear masks. And it said that people who have tested positive for Covid, who have Covid-like symptoms, or who have been exposed to someone with Covid should wear a mask, regardless of the risk level in their county.

“If you are more comfortable wearing a mask, feel free to do so,” CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said.

The new guidance also updates CDC recommendations on mask wearing in schools. Up until now, the agency has recommended that masks be worn in schools; with the new guidelines, the CDC is only recommending mask wearing in schools in counties that are designated high risk.

Under the new system, Covid-prevention recommendations for people living in low- and medium-risk counties are effectively that they should be vaccinated and boosted, and should get tested for Covid if they are sick with Covid-like symptoms. In the medium-risk settings, people who are immunocompromised or who have chronic health conditions should discuss the merits of mask wearing with their doctors."

Work is using this matrix starting today. No masks required regardless of vaccination status though. Masks for everyone if it goes back to high.

Patcheslee

Slightly off topic, but I haven't gotten a response in the Universal forum... Is there much at Universal that hasn't returned to a pre-pandemic state?
Is the Hogwarts nightly fireworks back? That's the only major one I recall missing in June. Poseiodons Fury and Fear Factor are both in construction with no news of return or replacement.

correcaminos

I would not replace hand washing with hand sanitizers, its a supplement. Before meals and obviously after using the facilities it’s an actual hand washing including soap (no splash and dash for me:)). When I got off of ToT and let’s face it I was desperately clinging to the hand bar for the duration of the ride it’s nice to sanitize after. I probably wouldn’t make an extra trip to the restroom at that point unless I was planning to eat something right after.
Again for those who missed my previous posts. Sorry I said anything. But yes I'd seek out a bathroom if I wanted clean hands. It's my issue with overuse is all. I deleted to stop an argument.

Willmark

Unfortunately a lot of people no longer do or will. They used up a lot of blind faith people previously had in them.
To me this was yet another chance to gauge the effectiveness of federal response to various incidents, calamities, disasters and other events. My watching and observing goes back to around 2002/3ish when SARS was the first blip on the radar.

Watching the response to this along with the various other responses by the federal government has only reinforced how little I will be relying on their assistance or guidance in the future.

For others YMMV.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is the Hogwarts nightly fireworks back? That's the only major one I recall missing in June. Poseiodons Fury and Fear Factor are both in construction with no news of return or replacement.

I believe they are also still doing the socially distant M&G, but not sure if that changed recently.

Vegas Disney Fan

I remember sitting outside of the stores (Wal-Mart, Target. Krogers, etc) waiting on my wife to come out from shopping and I'd see people with shopping carts loaded with TP. They looked like they had pure gold with them that they just looted from a wrecked armored truck. LOL A couple of times I yelled out the window "You might want to know COVID affects the OTHER end of your body!" It was ridiculous.
I don’t think I’ll ever forget the time I was standing in line outside the grocery store and someone came out with a cart overflowing with TP, nothing else, just a few hundred rolls of TP. People were not happy and the jokes started flying, he got absolutely roasted walking back to his car.

I’ll never understand the TP hoarding, it’s nearly 2 years later and I’d be shocked if that guy doesn’t have more than half that TP still taking up space in his house.

Patcheslee

I don’t think I’ll ever forget the time I was standing in line outside the grocery store and someone came out with a cart overflowing with TP, nothing else, just a few hundred rolls of TP. People were not happy and the jokes started flying, he got absolutely roasted walking back to his car.

I’ll never understand the TP hoarding, it’s nearly 2 years later and I’d be shocked if that guy doesn’t have more than half that TP still taking up space in his house.
I had to do shopping for 4 households when things first started. Didn't have curbside or delivery set up around here for a bit, so my home, mom + stepdad, dad's, and inlaws. I'll say my cart was like playing Tetris sometimes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What is the mask usage in the parks now? 1-5%?
CDC said we don't need them. So we don't need them. Do not worry. ,
I have no idea what the mask usage percentage is now. My friend just came back from the swamps and said he saw very few masks last week. Anecdotal and impossible to quantify a percent.

That being said the CDC said they aren’t recommending masks anymore if community spread levels are medium or low unless you are at high risk for severe covid and/or immunocompromised, then you should check with your doctor. If everyone followed CDC recommendations I would assume more than 1-5% of guests would be wearing masks based on doctor recommendation but I doubt that the number will be much higher. I just hope that those who do choose to wear a mask aren’t harassed by the masses now. You never know what someone else’s medical situation is.

jmp85

No doubt I fell for it last Spring/Summer too…but one of these times it has to be the real beginning of the end ;)

I have no idea what will happen going forward, but I don’t think it will be unusual to see people in masks in public settings for a while going forward. It may not be required or recommended and may not be the majority of people but everyone moves at their own pace and has their own personal situation. I just hope people have the common decency to leave people alone and respect their choice. You never know what someone else is dealing with.
1646076754742.png

G00fyDad

Why is this thread still going? The pandemic is over

The pandemic is not over. It is not as bad as it once was and it will (soon) be a seasonal thing but it is not over despite what those that have not even changed their behavior from day one will try to tell you. I am super happy the mask requirements are lifting everywhere and that cases are dropping all over the place and we are getting back to some form of normal again but no, this is not "over" yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The pandemic is not over. It is not as bad as it once was and it will (soon) be a seasonal thing but it is not over despite what those that have not even changed their behavior from day one will try to tell you. I am super happy the mask requirements are lifting everywhere and that cases are dropping all over the place and we are getting back to some form of normal again but no, this is not "over" yet.
At some point we will officially move from the pandemic phase to a more endemic phase. So Covid will not be gone, but we will largely go back to “normal” activity. Are we there yet? Who knows. Like the end of a recession we won’t know it happened until we look back 6+ months later and pinpoint a time when it happened.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
At some point we will officially move from the pandemic phase to a more endemic phase. So Covid will not be gone, but we will largely go back to “normal” activity. Are we there yet? Who knows. Like the end of a recession we won’t know it happened until we look back 6+ months later and pinpoint a time when it happened.
You just said the R word you son of a!!….
:)

mmascari

What is the mask usage in the parks now? 1-5%?
I bet it's really low.

It's a self selected group that likely booked (or at least didn't cancel) when Omicron was at it's peak. At least so far, not as much next month.

CDC said we don't need them. So we don't need them. Do not worry. ,
That's not quite what the CDC said. They gave a more nuanced and graded change.

That being said the CDC said they aren’t recommending masks anymore if community spread levels are medium or low unless you are at high risk for severe covid and/or immunocompromised, then you should check with your doctor. If everyone followed CDC recommendations I would assume more than 1-5% of guests would be wearing masks based on doctor recommendation but I doubt that the number will be much higher.
Even without the doctor recommendation, Orange County FL is High Community Level (new metric) and High Community Transmission (old metric). One could try to argue if WDW and Orange County track together or not, but assuming they do, the CDC says people should still be wearing masks.

Want to or not, going to or not, Disney requiring or not, are all different things. But, it's wrong to say the CDC says they're not required anymore. I don't expect many people in WDW to actually wear one though, since it's not Disney policy anymore.

Locally, our county dropped the mandate. Businesses have been a mix, some kept it but many dropped the requirement. There's certainly more people without now in indoor places than before, but it's still the minority. Most people here are still wearing them. We're Substantial on the old metric but almost down to Moderate, and we're Low on Community Level.

Heelz2315

This is one I missed... what fid they do?
They released a study that wasn’t peer reviewed that basically said Covid in kids was causing type 1 diabetes as an after effect of having the virus

They got lambasted on Twitter by a lot of endocrinologists that said that was a load and refuted the findings left and right. They accused them of basically using that as a scare tactic to get kids vaccinated.

It was eventually debunked and the CDC never walked any of it back

Heppenheimer

They released a study that wasn’t peer reviewed that basically said Covid in kids was causing type 1 diabetes as an after effect of having the virus

They got lambasted on Twitter by a lot of endocrinologists that said that was a load and refuted the findings left and right. They accused them of basically using that as a scare tactic to get kids vaccinated.

It was eventually debunked and the CDC never walked any of it back
Considering that I follow the latest releases on COVID daily in the medical literature, and I never heard of that one, I don't think it got nearly as far as you seem to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom