Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You are not understanding my thougt on the middle. I mean some will worry and think the worst on the far end and some give zero cares.... the answer is neither is right. Not going to Disney is not the same as never leaving the house - hence middle. Logically yes it is "silly" but not all things are pure logic. I have irrational fears myself and I personally got the crap end of statistics during two different pregnancies (two unrelated things as well). Logically I know chances of either happening again are slim but it was enough to have us stop at 1 full term pregnancy. My very logical husband was the one who put a stop to it because the one issue threatened my life.

Does it mean all people should never get pregnant? Nah. Are we irrational and emotional about it? Yes. Pushing off a vacation because a kid is unvaccinated and masks are removed is hardly irresponsible or silly. You may be okay with risks but not all are. That's all.

Here's another one for you. My kid's school is dropping masks 2 weeks before our trip. My 14yo decided to try a respirator for the 2 weeks at school to help ward off an illness causing us to cancel. We've had no illnesses here from covid that we know of but toooooons of exposure. Not worth a risk.

Is it irrational to worry? A little but dang it this is a trip we had planned 2 years ago and was canceled on us days before we left with the WDW shut down.

Not all worries are logical. We worry about missing school even so not all worries are same levels. So again middle me gets why someone wouldn't care and wants masks off but I also see why some do worry still. Logic fails us.
Understood. Fair enough.

maui2k7

What kids go through nowadays if you have any are so much worse but your speculative opinion is really reaching for the stars, nice effort .
Yeah, it is just my “speculative opinion that is reaching for the stars”

ToTBellHop

I'm fine with the idea that we will all catch this. I'd like my son to be vaccinated first, thank you. We have a tool but the incompetence of the FDA has delayed it unnecessarily in the younger population.
I understand this completely. I’d be uncomfortable taking my kids if they weren’t vaccinated and unlike school, vacation is unnecessary. Hopefully numbers plunge further and you feel better by then.

Incomudro

How many Covid cases in kids total (which don’t count self testing). And compare to severe and/or deaths. Remove the 70% high risk individuals. And then factor in the current omicron.
And how many omicron, since that's the only game in town right now.
the subsets get smaller ans smaller when you sift through it all.

Incomudro

It won't be "death" that gets younger people. It will be the potentially lifelong chronic conditions they develop post-illness. Even mild illness. And no one has the "frequency" data about that yet. People are doing little more than betting and guessing. But anyone who developed things like asthma, diabetes, or autoimmune issues as a juvenile will tell you it is not something you want for your kids, or your bank account.
There's little evidence omicron is going to do that.
There are lifelong chronic psychological conditions that will occur from depriving children of two key developmental years of their lives.

Vegas Disney Fan

Again. If they post in a public forum and don’t want disagreement. Don’t post. Disagreeing doesn’t mean I don’t see their right as a parent to decide.

This is part of the problem with written communication, it can sometimes be hard to discern between discussion, disagreement, and appearing to question someone’s personal decision making process, one of the major downsides of no audio or visual clues.

Incomudro

What kids go through nowadays if you have any are so much worse but your speculative opinion is really reaching for the stars, nice effort .
Two years of keeping a mask on the faces of kids, while telling them there is something invisible out there that might kill them, their parent, and/or grandparents is going to have a serious impact.
So is not seeing the smiles of their friends.
Meeting new people, and forming new bonds without seeing faces is not normal.
It's like living in an operating room, and that is not normal.

G00fyDad

It won't be "death" that gets younger people. It will be the potentially lifelong chronic conditions they develop post-illness. Even mild illness. And no one has the "frequency" data about that yet. People are doing little more than betting and guessing. But anyone who developed things like asthma, diabetes, or autoimmune issues as a juvenile will tell you it is not something you want for your kids, or your bank account.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I understand this completely. I’d be uncomfortable taking my kids if they weren’t vaccinated and unlike school, vacation is unnecessary. Hopefully numbers plunge further and you feel better by then.
That's what I'm hoping. If case counts are low we may go for it.

I think what people misunderstand is that I wasn't even arguing that Disney shouldn't lift the mask mandate - just that there is another side to the coin and people like me who are dealing with a different set of choices where lifting the mask mandate would potentially cause us to reconsider our trip. That's all.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Didn't you read the post? The OP was saying that deaths weren't the issue here. Then you post about deaths.

JoeCamel

That's what I'm hoping. If case counts are low we may go for it.

I think what people misunderstand is that I wasn't even arguing that Disney shouldn't lift the mask mandate - just that there is another side to the coin and people like me who are dealing with a different set of choices where lifting the mask mandate would potentially cause us to reconsider our trip. That's all.
Right, I think there are many like you and that is what TDO is feeling in the bookings. Might be anecdotal reports of the parks being jammed but the bread and butter of the operation is the hotel operations. One way out is better staffing but.....
Might be best to just wait a bit to go running back to the mouse

correcaminos

. But a Disney trip postponed because of concerns? Not a big deal and not at all a radicalized parent decision. Like last March we wanted to redo our mom and son trip from 2020. We canceled it because of a lot... some was crap from MIL who we were going to see, but end was crowds were higher than I was okay with (anxiety reasons unrelated to covid), masks were required indoors and out, and we felt we could just hold off since we had a June trip planned where we were certain at least my kid would have one shot. He wound up with 2.

That's not something that is going to harm him that much. Much like at his age masks in school are no big for him (can be for some). For others it might be but a Disney trip isn't something a kid needs. Why not wait until less stress is had.

Let me tell you being a parent of a school aged kid throughout this has shown me I am far more affected than he is by this. It's so stinking hard to do what you think is right. One of my dear friends who is a parent and a gradeschool teacher had to leave school early Friday because the weight of it all is too much.

Some kids ate definitely struggling for sure, but us parents are seriously just doing our best. So far I'm lucky here, my kid is a bit pessimistic about when life will be normal but he's hanging in there. On discord right now playing games with friends. Give them the right tools and they'll make it. Probably better off than me lol

Last edited by a moderator:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Two years of keeping a mask on the faces of kids, while telling them there is something invisible out there that might kill them, their parent, and/or grandparents is going to have a serious impact.
So is not seeing the smiles of their friends.
Meeting new people, and forming new bonds without seeing faces is not normal.
It's like living in an operating room, and that is not normal.

And what would the impact on them have been if they brought home a virus that killed their parents of grandparents?

disneygeek90

Of course not. He is in school, we have friends that we see, he has some activities at places that have protocols in place that we are comfortable with. All of that is a big difference to us than the packed like sardines environment of the HM queue after the stretching room for example.
It's baffling to me how many on these boards have a difficult time comprehending that typical "every day life" is a very different experience than a WDW week.

And that's coming from someone who visits the parks about twice a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom