Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It's baffling to me how many on these boards have a difficult time comprehending that typical "every day life" is a very different experience than a WDW week.

And that's coming from someone who visits the parks about twice a week.
Absolutely. If it were just me, just me and DW, or just us and DS11 (who is vaxxed) this wouldn't even be an issue for us. But for DS4,.unless case counts are really low, I have a hard time justifying putting him in that crowded of an environment for something that, while a great experience, is optional.

mmascari

1 in 840

That’s the odds of a child 5 and under needing any Covid treatment.
Is that a national average including everywhere?

Places with higher and lower spread?
Kids interacting with limited others and kids hanging out with hundreds of other random people?
All averaged together for a single risk number?

They are at less risk than a fully vaccinated adult.
A kid walking down the street at midnight alone in the cold where I live is at less risk than one walking down the highway outside the super bowl right now. Doesn’t make it a good idea.

Trauma

Is that a national average including everywhere?

Places with higher and lower spread?
Kids interacting with limited others and kids hanging out with hundreds of other random people?
All averaged together for a single risk number?
No that’s the risk to a child under 5 who has already caught Covid.

If you factor in that they actually have to catch it first the numbers are even less concerning. That’s why I used the sarcastic .0006%.

The point being a 4 year old is not at risk.

Before you post the story about a 4 year old dying of Covid saying “tell that to this kid” make sure you also post the stories of 4 year olds struck by lightning or eaten by a shark.

mmascari

Before you post the story about a 4 year old dying of Covid saying “tell that to this kid” make sure you also post the stories of 4 year olds struck by lightning or eaten by a shark.
Just saying, if you ignore the lightning warning siren and keep the kid on the soccer field anyway, or ignore the shark alerts and leave the kid in the water off the cape thrashing about, you greatly increase the risk. If you ignore the COVID rate and take the kid into poorly ventilated spaces with lots of random people from all over, you increase their risk too.

You pick your own items, but someone unable to vaccinate a 4 year old choosing not to increase their risk for a vacation doesn’t sound that strange. Even rare, if you happen to hit that one, you’ll feel like crap forever.

We barely had seatbelts in the back seat, much less car seats. Millions of trips a day result in nothing, yet we buckle them in, just in case.

Lots of people will take that chance, most will fine. But for one that’s not, it may change their life forever in a bad way. Not like getting a splinter that’s gone and forgotten a day later.

EpcoTim

Just saying, if you ignore the lightning warning siren and keep the kid on the soccer field anyway, or ignore the shark alerts and leave the kid in the water off the cape thrashing about, you greatly increase the risk. If you ignore the COVID rate and take the kid into poorly ventilated spaces with lots of random people from all over, you increase their risk too.

You pick your own items, but someone unable to vaccinate a 4 year old choosing not to increase their risk for a vacation doesn’t sound that strange. Even rare, if you happen to hit that one, you’ll feel like crap forever.

We barely had seatbelts in the back seat, much less car seats. Millions of trips a day result in nothing, yet we buckle them in, just in case.

Lots of people will take that chance, most will fine. But for one that’s not, it may change their life forever in a bad way. Not like getting a splinter that’s gone and forgotten a day later.
lol, “lightning warning siren”.

correcaminos

lol, “lightning warning siren”.
They exist

A friend of mine was saying they get thunderstorm warnings like we get tornado warnings. I was a little surprised as we'd get those way too often to be useful. But not all areas deal the same. A tornado siren would be useless in some parts too..

Homer fan

They exist

A friend of mine was saying they get thunderstorm warnings like we get tornado warnings. I was a little surprised as we'd get those way too often to be useful. But not all areas deal the same. A tornado siren would be useless in some parts too..
Ya, I live near a golf course in Connecticut and we hear those warnings all the time for lightning. It's to warn golfers it's in the area.

correcaminos

Do you not believe these exist? Every major soccer field/complex in my area has them.
To be fair I had never heard of these growing up. We have tornado sirens but nothing for lightning. If I hadn't been told about them and thunderstorm sirens I likely would have laughed as well. They do not exist in my neighborhood nor where I grew up. Oddly not too far from where I live has them so I've been told, but not common in my part. Again we have tornado sirens and lightning would just be lost on us. We know when to call games I guess and would confuse otherwise.

drizgirl

To be fair I had never heard of these growing up. We have tornado sirens but nothing for lightning. If I hadn't been told about them and thunderstorm sirens I likely would have laughed as well. They do not exist in my neighborhood nor where I grew up. Oddly not too far from where I live has them, but not common in my part.
I live in the midwest and didn't know they were a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom