Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

How many do you think will say they are not vaccinated? 🙂

Likely the only people wearing masks will be vaccinated and boosted people wearing N95/KN95 respirators. Maybe 3 or 4 unvaccinated families that follow the rule.
I’m sure they know that will happen. Their choices are

1) require masks for all
2) require masks for none
3) check vaccine cards
4) require masks for unvaccinated knowing most will lie but a few might wear them.

They likely don’t want to staff for checking cards I'm not even sure if that’s legal in FL.

That doesn’t leave many options.
It is 100% legal in FL to have a mask requirement unless vaccinated and then check for proof of vaccination to go unmasked. I'm sure that they (or Disney) want nothing to do with the staffing for checking and then enforcing.

maui2k7

I worked a small concert last night and of the 700 or so guests I’d guesstimate maybe 2 dozen masks total, of the 20 or so staff I noticed 3 who were still wearing them.

The bandage is officially off, it’ll be interesting to see if our quickly decreasing case counts level off a bit over the next couple weeks or if they continue to drop like a rock.
Masks have not been mandated in TX since last May and our curve is similar to other states that have just or have not yet removed masks mandates. Cases here in Harris County have fallen off a cliff and continue to do so.

maui2k7

Likely the only people wearing masks will be vaccinated and boosted people wearing N95/KN95 respirators. Maybe 3 or 4 unvaccinated families that follow the rule.

It is 100% legal in FL to have a mask requirement unless vaccinated and then check for proof of vaccination to go unmasked. I'm sure that they (or Disney) want nothing to do with the staffing for checking and then enforcing.
It has to be lawyers being the ones who say “masks off for vaccinated only” knowing full well they will not even try to enforce that policy. It is a charade to have rules like this or that is for “vaccinated only” with no intentions to check anyone. Just stop the games already.

G00fyDad

JoeCamel

I’m sure they know that will happen. Their choices are

1) require masks for all
2) require masks for none
3) check vaccine cards
4) require masks for unvaccinated knowing most will lie but a few might wear them.

They likely don’t want to staff for checking cards I'm not even sure if that’s legal in FL.

That doesn’t leave many options.
They shifted liability to the unvaxed with this, it may have been a long shot they would catch a case over infection but this removes all doubt. Its on the unvaxed to look out for themselves. Just as if someone with a bad back chose to ride Dr Doom

hopemax

It won't be "death" that gets younger people. It will be the potentially lifelong chronic conditions they develop post-illness. Even mild illness. And no one has the "frequency" data about that yet. People are doing little more than betting and guessing. But anyone who developed things like asthma, diabetes, or autoimmune issues as a juvenile will tell you it is not something you want for your kids, or your bank account.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It won't be "death" that gets younger people. It will be the potentially lifelong chronic conditions they develop post-illness. Even mild illness. And no one has the "frequency" data about that yet. People are doing little more than betting and guessing. But anyone who developed things like asthma, diabetes, or autoimmune issues as a juvenile will tell you it is not something you want for your kids, or your bank account.
Thank you.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Statistically, it will be nothing that gets kids. We really shouldn’t be using scare tactics like this or these “potentials” as a reason for someone putting their kids childhood on hold. People can do what they feel right is for their kids, but we should also be honest about the overall risk.

hopemax

Statistically, it will be nothing that gets kids. We really shouldn’t be using scare tactics like this or these “potentials” as a reason for someone putting their kids childhood on hold. People can do what they feel right is for their kids, but we should also be honest about the overall risk.
Except that's not what you were doing. You were attempting to chastise a parent's decision about avoiding a vacation where people would encounter high numbers of people, while their child remained unvaccinated by bringing up death statistics. If you are okay with other people making different decisions, don't make it look like you are trying to change someone's mind by insinuating that they should reevaluate.

Also, you continue to misrepresent the mildness of Omicron for unvaccinated individuals. There have been no long Covid studies for unvaccinated or vaccinated post-Omicron because Omicron is 3 months old. Long Covid results for the ancestral strain are only finally starting to come in, and so far the incidence rates are higher than expected. We need to stop pretending we have any idea what Alpha, Beta, Delta or Omicron infections did to people's vascular system. Or the effect of multiple infections. If people want to lower their risk by limiting the number of times they or their kids get infected, or before they can be vaccinated, that isn't being stupid. It's showing humility in the face of the unknown.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You do realize that the answer probably lies in the middle right? Sure there is a smaller chance a kid will be long term harmed but it isn't impossible. Don't judge those who worry more for kids. Dropping masks is big for some parents. Respect that.
If the OP wanted all replies to be agreement with his post, he probably shouldn’t have posted. Some love to point to the super rare cases and the outliers while disregarding the millions of cases that led to nothing. So I will again point to..how many record cases in children under 5? How many of those led to severe Covid? How many of those were in children with no high risk issues? How many of those cases are prior to delta? How many recorded cases were asymptomatic? What are the estimates for non recorded asymptomatic cases in that age group?
Of course nothing impossible, but the answer of definitely not in the middle.
As I said, people can do what they think is right for their kids. But basing your assessment on outliers and the worst case scenario just seems silly.

correcaminos

If the OP wanted all replies to be agreement with his post, he probably shouldn’t have posted. Some love to point to the super rare cases and the outliers while disregarding the millions of cases that led to nothing. So I will again point to..how many record cases in children under 5? How many of those led to severe Covid? How many of those were in children with no high risk issues? How many of those cases are prior to delta? How many recorded cases were asymptomatic? What are the estimates for non recorded asymptomatic cases in that age group?
Of course nothing impossible, but the answer of definitely not in the middle.
As I said, people can do what they think is right for their kids. But basing your assessment on outliers and the worst case scenario just seems silly.
You are not understanding my thougt on the middle. I mean some will worry and think the worst on the far end and some give zero cares thinking it could never happen.... the answer is neither is right. Not going to Disney is not the same as never leaving the house - hence middle. Logically yes it is "silly" but not all things are pure logic. I have irrational fears myself and I personally got the crap end of statistics during two different pregnancies (two unrelated things as well). Logically I know chances of either happening again are slim but it was enough to have us stop at 1 full term pregnancy. My very logical husband was the one who put a stop to it because the one issue threatened my life.

Does it mean all people should never get pregnant? Nah. Are we irrational and emotional about it? Yes. Pushing off a vacation because a kid is unvaccinated and masks are removed is hardly irresponsible or silly. You may be okay with risks but not all are. That's all.

Here's another one for you. My kid's school is dropping masks 2 weeks before our trip. My 14yo decided to try a respirator for the 2 weeks at school to help ward off an illness causing us to cancel. We've had no illnesses here from covid that we know of but toooooons of exposure. Not worth a risk.

Is it irrational to worry? A little but dang it this is a trip we had planned 2 years ago and was canceled on us days before we left with the WDW shut down.

Not all worries are logical. We worry about missing school even so not all worries are same levels. So again middle me gets why someone wouldn't care and wants masks off but I also see why some do worry still. Logic fails us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom