Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Rather than implement plans for more health care workers that won't come to fruition for the next three or four years from now, there is a simpler and quicker solution: vaccine mandates.
As I have said many times previously, let me know when a Governor and state legislature implements this...

Nubs70

I got my extra nanobots at 8 AM this morning. So far just slight soreness at injection site. We'll see how it goes over the next 24-48 hours.
My nanobots seems to have created a lingering soreness that started at the injection site and has migrated down to my elbow. Different than the last 2 which lasted for about 2 days and remained localized at the injection site. Or I'm having a slow rolling heart attack.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Haha, just got a recorded call from my county stating that boosters are now available, recommended, and it looks like I am eligible. I imagine this is because I got my first doses through our county outreach program.

Wendy Pleakley

Is this flying only? Assuming no test needed to enter US by land still?

Correct. Proof of vaccination is the only requirement.

I'm not sure if it's been brought up, but I was surprised that a negative test result is not required for people entering the US from Canada or Mexico by land. Only proof of full vaccination.

Hard to say exactly why.

Perhaps it's seen as less risk for people to drive versus coming in on crowded airplanes. Also, Canada has higher vaccination rates than the USA which impacts risk levels.

There's economic considerations. American border towns have suffered due to a lack of cross border travel. Point Roberts is only accessible by land via British Columbia and by all accounts many businesses are barely hanging on, if they haven't closed already. They were in danger at one point of losing their only grocery store.

Right across the border from BC is Blaine, and the first thing one sees is a row of gas stations. I'd imagine the vast majority of their business is Canadians getting cheaper gas.

lazyboy97o

I just have to ask - Why can't we do both? Why can't we continue the vaccine push for now, but also work on future ideas/plans for the upcoming pandemics?
It may end unfortunately up a political issue but the ideas don't have to start as one.

(also it's not just limited to building more hospitals or hiring more people - there are a lot of exiting new approaches to patient care that can be utilized in pandemic planning - just for example - telehealth has EXPLODED this past year, in part due to waivers for what's allowed to be considered telehealth granted by CMS for duration of pandemic - but providers already working on how to make some of those waivers permanent policy. An interesting read: https://healthtechmagazine.net/article/2021/10/hospital-home-future-healthcare )
Any serious discussion has to include preventing people from becoming ill in the first place. That is going to include options like closing schools, closing businesses, restricting travel, requiring people to wear things, etc.

dreday3

Any serious discussion has to include preventing people from becoming ill in the first place. That is going to include options like closing schools, closing businesses, restricting travel, requiring people to wear things, etc.

Preventive medicine is certainly something that should be discussed and honestly is already being put into practice. It's a healthcare model that is quickly gaining steam. (Part of preventive medicine is getting it to communities which are largely ignored, but that's a different topic, although I'm starting to see promising new initiatives at the bigger health systems in our city and I'm sure other cities.)

drizgirl

So now we need to conjure up not just doctors and nurses but architects, engineers and contractors qualified to build such facilities. So the timeline on that is what?
Do you know what first caught my attention in early 2020 regarding this pandemic, and how serious it might be? It was hearing that China built a hospital in 6 days to house Covid patients.

hopemax

Do you know what first caught my attention in early 2020 regarding this pandemic, and how serious it might be? It was hearing that China built a hospital in 6 days to house Covid patients.
Yeah, me too. Well, it wasn't the first thing. The closures in Shanghai including Disneyland were the first thing. Which makes all the "Covid's not serious enough for me to reconsider where I go, how many people I'm with, wear a face mask, vaccination, vaccination status of those I interact with etc." responses even more crazy in my eyes. Enough people in this country don't feel the need to do a whole lot of things including building more hospitals. So we're not. A whole lot of people willing to step up and do the necessary things, and demonstrate a willingness to pay for them doesn't seem to be enough to counteract the pull and influence of those that won't. They yelled, everyone got tired, and here we are.

hopemax

People throw up a lot of “what we should do” and then seem to give up on figuring out how to actually implement any of it. As if they did their part to come up with the idea, someone can be responsible for the rest.

There is a rope that needs to be yanked on hard, and a bunch of people are pulling with all their might and it’s not enough. Telling these people to just “pull harder” isn’t going to be as effective as telling the group standing around waiting for the rope to be pulled and complaining it’s not, to grab and pull on the rope. But that’s what we do. They say “both sides are the problem” meaning there’s an expectation pulling harder will do something. When what is really going on is that a bunch of people have no interest in pulling the rope themselves. They might hurt their back or knee so they have a personal responsibility not to. Someone else has to do it.

Lilofan

Something built that quickly isn’t going to last so it doesn’t address the proposal to build dedicated COVID-19 treatment facilities.
That quick building of 6 days beat the world record of 7 days in 2003 when China built a hospital facility during the SARS epidemic.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

And Disney takes 6 months.. I’m sorry 6 years to build a new ride. Like others have said, it would probably be better in a hurricane or earthquake to be on the ride then in that hospital but still..

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Found this funny and thought I would post it to hopefully get a smile or laugh from all here, whatever side your on. Definitely my luck.🙂

E0ED02C7-8F17-4AC0-98C7-8ED6252428C8.jpeg

Lilofan

And Disney takes 6 months.. I’m sorry years to build a new ride. Like others have said, it would probably be better in a hurricane or earthquake to be on the ride then in that hospital but still..

So much red tape to get things done in a number of places not just WDW , hence the running joke , how many people are involved to change a light bulb?

dreday3

People throw up a lot of “what we should do” and then seem to give up on figuring out how to actually implement any of it. As if they did their part to come up with the idea, someone can be responsible for the rest.

There is a rope that needs to be yanked on hard, and a bunch of people are pulling with all their might and it’s not enough. Telling these people to just “pull harder” isn’t going to be as effective as telling the group standing around waiting for the rope to be pulled and complaining it’s not, to grab and pull on the rope. But that’s what we do. They say “both sides are the problem” meaning there’s an expectation pulling harder will do something. When what is really going on is that a bunch of people have no interest in pulling the rope themselves. They might hurt their back or knee so they have a personal responsibility not to. Someone else has to do it.

I'm assuming you aren't talking about actual posters here.

I gave quite a few examples of new/innovative ways hospitals are adapting and the traditional hospital inpatient setting is changing rapidly. It's already happening, just needs to be bigger. CMS is definitely a roadblock on what they will/won't pay for as far as what they deem "new" services, but some of it's changing and there are already initiatives on the table from the AMA and others.

This may not help the current situation, no, but keeping people out of the hospital or finding new ways to treat in non-traditional settings will certainly help with the issue of overloading hospitals if/when a different pandemic hits. Now people who would normally be admitted for observation (telemetry, pulse ox- etc.) - we actually have the technology available to monitor these patients from home, saving hospital beds! It's already in practice some places, need to work on expanding it.

Keeping people healthier through preventive medicine - especially our aging population, making it easier to see a provider, giving more people more access to healthcare NOW will keep them out of the hospital with chronic health conditions so there is more room for a new infectious disease or those with illness that require hospitalization. Frees up resources. Obviously it's only one part of the picture, but I think an important one. And (thanks in part to pandemic) it's starting to happen. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom