Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately I think this is our new reality, even with a fully vaccinated population (should we manage to get there) I’m afraid this virus isn’t going away and will likely result in thousands of deaths every year. Much better than hundreds of thousands but I think it’s inevitable it becomes an endemic.
Short term maybe so, but there’s no reason we can’t eliminate this virus. We don’t have thousands of deaths each year in the US from polio or measles (measles is twice as contagious as covid). I think we can and will get to a point where this virus is contained in the US. If we don’t have active community spread and cases are identified and outbreaks are quickly snuffed out similar to measles we don’t have to live with thousands of deaths a year. Of course well over 90% of the population is vaccinated for measles and polio. The key is getting to that level.

BrianLo

Positive Data! Alberta has quickly passed 85% eligible population receiving their first dose.

The state of emergency occurring and the announcement of the "vaccine passport" rollout for 11 days ago and 6 days ago, respectively.

We continue to see high bookings. In case anyone doubted whether passports would cause people to get vaccinated.

Schools have only been back for several weeks, but many are now starting to declare outbreaks (considered >10% of the total school - not classroom - having COVID simultaneously). Don't ask why the criteria cut-off is so high. Yet it's already being met by several.

Disney Analyst

Positive Data! Alberta has quickly passed 85% eligible population receiving their first dose.

The state of emergency occurring and the announcement of the "vaccine passport" rollout for 11 days ago and 6 days ago, respectively.

We continue to see high bookings. In case anyone doubted whether passports would cause people to get vaccinated.

Schools have only been back for several weeks, but many are now starting to declare outbreaks (considered >10% of the total school - not classroom - having COVID simultaneously). Don't ask why the criteria cut-off is so high. Yet it's already being met by several.

That’s good news! What were they at before the strain on the hospitals became so evident and the passport was announced? Seems the reality sunk in for many that they need to get vaccinated for their own safety.

BC hit 87.5% first dose and 80% fully vaccinated on Friday.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On the vaccination front we‘ve reached 2/3 of adults fully vaccinated and 77% with at least one shot. 64.7% of eligible people fully vaccinated. Based on the pace of first shots the last few weeks we should hit 75% of adults fully vaccinated by the time the 5-11 age group is authorized. It’s a terribly slow pace but maybe it picks up a little in the coming weeks as more mandates start to kick in. I have seen first hand that most of the unvaccinated will get the shot shortly after a company announces a requirement even if it doesn’t kick in for weeks. Slow and steady.

E2D9696A-F2B3-4DCF-8302-102C30038462.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
True, that drum has been beat often. But it isn't untrue either. March 2021 article: https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n623

"Covid-19 death rates are 10 times higher in countries where more than half of the adult population is classified as overweight, a comprehensive report from the World Obesity Federation has found."
Unless you have a time machine it’s also completely irrelevant to our current situation. Nothing about that fact provides a solution out of the current situation. If the US is more susceptible to severe covid than other nations than we should be more eager than a lot of other places to vaccinate the entire population (including mandating vaccines if people aren’t going on their own) and also more inclined to have more temporary mitigations to protect ourselves since we are so much more vulnerable.

Roy G. Dis

I don't think it's completely irrelevant to point out that Americans are on the whole unhealthy and fat and lifestyle changes can help both with surviving Covid as well as a host of other medical conditions...

But yeah, some nuance is also appropriate.

lazyboy97o

I don't think it's completely irrelevant to point out that Americans are on the whole unhealthy and fat and lifestyle changes can help both with surviving Covid as well as a host of other medical conditions...

The problem is the laughing at and dismissal of the many factors that contribute to Americans being overweight.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Covid is an emergency situation that needs an immediate plan of action. Even if we could be certain that suggesting lifestyle changes would somehow make everyone healthy and less susceptible to severe covid it would take many months or years to see the full impact. I’m not even getting into all the reasons that’s easier said then done. It’s not a viable solution to the current problem. Sure, it would be great if everyone was more healthy.

Roy G. Dis

Covid is an emergency situation that needs an immediate plan of action. Even if we could be certain that suggesting lifestyle changes would somehow make everyone healthy and less susceptible to severe covid it would take many months or years to see the full impact. I’m not even getting into all the reasons that’s easier said then done. It’s not a viable solution to the current problem. Sure, it would be great if everyone was more healthy.
If covid is going to be a long term problem (and it likely is) then there's no point ignoring a long term way to decrease risk. There are no solutions, just treatments.

correcaminos

True, that drum has been beat often. But it isn't untrue either. March 2021 article: https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n623

"Covid-19 death rates are 10 times higher in countries where more than half of the adult population is classified as overweight, a comprehensive report from the World Obesity Federation has found."
It's also not always enough to keep from severe, long covid, or death. I know very fit healthy eaters in all 3 categories personally. People I feared would die were sometimes spared. So while sorta true, it's not entirely.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If covid is going to be a long term problem (and it likely is) then there's no point ignoring a long term way to decrease risk. There are no solutions, just treatments.
How are we ignoring it? What would you like the government to do? Ban all high calorie foods? Mandate exercise? Set a calorie intake limit? Maybe provide pre-selected food for all citizens? How would we go about making everyone healthy enough to survive covid? It doesn’t seem like something that can be easily done. What we can do right now is provide everyone with a free and safe vaccine.

Kevin_W

It's also not always enough to keep from severe, long covid, or death. I know very fit healthy eaters in all 3 categories personally. People I feared would die were sometimes spared. So while sorta true, it's not entirely.
No, but it's good to acknowledge correlation. Just like there are children who get sick and even die, but Covid is still strongly correlated with age.

America in general is not a terribly healthy first-world country. And that certainly does not help us when a pandemic comes along.

correcaminos

No, but it's good to acknowledge correlation. Just like there are children who get sick and even die, but Covid is still strongly correlated with age.

America in general is not a terribly healthy first-world country. And that certainly does not help us when a pandemic comes along.
I get making correlations and that we need to be healthier, but in the same breath it gets beyond tiresome to see the same arguments that we cannot change. Especially when they are used as reasons to not mask nor vaccinate by so many.

Reality is none of these correlations matter at this moment. Vaccinate healthy, the unhealthy, the young and old, kids, etc. The rest will follow.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I don’t see any issue with pointing out the correlation and I don’t disagree that it would help for the next pandemic if we figured out better ways to get everyone more healthy. Many people don’t have adequate access to healthy food. Many people don’t have access to acceptable health care. I would be all in favor of social welfare programs that make it possible for every citizen to have access to proper preventive healthcare. Working on access to healthy food options is a little more challenging but we can do more there too.

All that being said it’s still not very helpful for the current situation with covid and is especially troubling when I see people say “why do I need to wear a mask or take a vaccine if I’m young and healthy and don’t think covid is a big deal for me”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom