Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The New York City Department of Education is committed to making three free meals available daily for any New Yorker. Any New Yorker who wants one can get three free meals a day at more than 400 Meal Hubs across the city."

EUr4b4qXQAA4qiC.jpeg

21stamps

I’ve always enjoyed yard work. My son and I worked outside yesterday. It was wonderful. I’ll be putting in a garden soon.

I’m getting a new roof on Friday (mostly paid by insurance due to a storm)... now I’m motivated to try to do some landscaping myself, and I’ll also do a garden again. What I really need is a half acre of sod for the back yard (wrecked after two tree removals), but I can’t do that myself, and don’t want to pay for it right now.

If anything though, most people should have amazing lawns and gardens after this time.

21stamps

OK. That makes more sense. There’s a lot of people temporarily out of work, maybe they can recruit some temp help. Not sure how long it would take to train people though.

I wonder about the effect of the stimulus for unemployment. Yesterday, Ohio posted thousands of available jobs... mostly for lower income workers, but those people will be making the same or more from unemployment... will they take the jobs?

John park hopper

Maybe. Farmers have been facing an increasing shortage of laborers. It's hard, inconsistent work that people do not want to do.
I have done some crappy jobs in my life and if I were younger and out of work I would not hesitate to help farmers harvest their crops. Food is essential for life, a constant supply of food is a necessity for a civil society.

JoeCamel

Unrelated to WDW but I have seen several reports that farmers have produce in the field ready to be picked and no one to harvest it. I can't help but feel this situation is being overlooked and god help us if the food supply is interrupted or simply not being harvested. We can not rely on foreign imports those countries are no better off than we are shipments will stop. I would hope the various State governors would mobilize the national guard to help harvest an essential product ---FOOD --food for thought
I live in an agricultural area and the farmworkers would be bussed into Walmart to shop from the labor camps. The packing houses are selling direct. $5 for a 25# box of tomatoes out by the plant. They have product but the market is not there so they can't ship. I haven't seen a farmworker in any stores since this started so I doubt any more is being picked. We will see spot shortages I am sure.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I wonder about the effect of the stimulus for unemployment. Yesterday, Ohio posted thousands of available jobs... mostly for lower income workers, but those people will be making the same or more from unemployment... will they take the jobs?

Are they temp jobs or permanent jobs?

Ravenclaw78

Even without the stimulus bonus, unemployment insurance pays more than migrant farm workers are paid. There's a reason it's almost impossible to get American citizens to do this work even when unemployment is at record levels, and it's not laziness.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I’m not sure. I didn’t hear if it was specified, and didn’t look into it.

On some level, I'm okay with millions of Americans getting essentially some paid time off from work, especially those working front line jobs. For many, they didn't have those kinds of benefits (PTO or Sick Leave) so this should give them a nice chance to recharge before re-entering the workforce with a fresh attitude and feeling refreshed.

I also would not mind an extra week or two off from work when this is all said and done :p

21stamps

I just quickly scrolled thru the comments on that tweet, many are expressing dissatisfaction with the extended orders. It’s only going to grow as time goes on.

On a lighter note, I came upon this one and literally laughed out loud.
6AC84215-5FA0-47DD-95B2-A5892125A51C.jpeg

21stamps

On some level, I'm okay with millions of Americans getting essentially some paid time off from work, especially those working front line jobs. For many, they didn't have those kinds of benefits (PTO or Sick Leave) so this should give them a nice chance to recharge before re-entering the workforce with a fresh attitude and feeling refreshed.

I also would not mind an extra week or two off from work when this is all said and done :p

A week or two is understandable, but I’d hate to see it turn into months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom