Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

Hand sanitizer is mostly alcohol so it’s quite flammable. NFPA 101 limits the size and placement of hand sanitizer dispensers, and also requires means of egress to be free and clear. The way Disney dumped a bunch of portable dispensers, often grouped together in places like exit corridors, ran afoul of these requirements.

LittleBuford

Hand sanitizer is mostly alcohol so it’s quite flammable. NFPA 101 limits the size and placement of hand sanitizer dispensers, and also requires means of egress to be free and clear. The way Disney dumped a bunch of portable dispensers, often grouped together in places like exit corridors, ran afoul of these requirements.
Did you inform anyone when you noticed this?

Weather_Lady

As I posted a few months ago, 3 out of 5 members of my party came home with Covid from Disney after our trip the first week of May. I've seen countless stories of the same since then, here and other places online.
Now that precautions have been relaxed everywhere, including travel hubs like airports, as well as tourist destinations, and now that milder (but more contagious) strains of COVID have taken over, such stories will get more and more common. I don't think WDW poses greater risks than any other place: COVID is just another hazard of travel now, wherever you go. If you're going to be rubbing elbows with a large number of people, it's an inevitable risk. Now that I and my loved ones are all as vaccinated and boosted as we can get, we're comfortable accepting the risk - although we still carry masks to pop on if we're in a situation that makes us uncomfortable (e.g., when the guy behind me on the plane starts coughing up a lung...) ;)

Anecdotally, while our local transmission rates are low and new cases are few, our local high school sent two dozen students and chaperones on a trip to Paris a few weeks ago: several of them returned with COVID. Two weeks later, three dozen local Boy Scouts, leaders, and family members took a 2-week tour of the national parks out west, camping and staying outdoors the whole time. Several of that trip's attendees also tested positive for COVID within a few days of returning: the timing of their diagnoses suggested that they probably contracted it during the last day of the trip, when they - not coincidentally - spent 18 hours straight on unmasked flights and in crowded airports after one of their flights was delayed.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

Never said quickly... easily along the way was my wording. Don't assume I can go quickly anywhere ;)
my apologies and let me rephrase - what is easy for you to get to along the way may not be as “along the way” for our DD. Bathroom examples I am thinking of that aren’t “along the way” for her include those by Pinocchio’s village haus, those by Gaston’s back at the back of new fantasyland, the ones by space mountain, the ones by figment, dinoland, etc. just as a small set.

Ones that are more “along the way” for her would be like the ones in Africa, toy story land, Frontierland/Adventureland crossover (from Adventureland esp), just as a small set.

Weather_Lady

Places with fewer crowds and interactions are likely to have less spread. I don’t think it’s the case that all travel destinations carry the same risks.
True enough. I was thinking more of the travel itself, getting to and around a vacation destination -- all the people with whom one must rub elbows (and share air) on planes, trains, buses, rideshares, etc. Obviously, one can plan a trip to minimize those contacts.

LittleBuford

True enough. I was thinking more of the travel itself, getting to and around a vacation destination -- all the people with whom one must rub elbows (and share air) on planes, trains, buses, rideshares, etc. Obviously, one can plan a trip to minimize those contacts.
This I agree with. I’ve had to travel a few times this year for family reasons, and the journey itself has always been the part that I had least control over and that felt riskiest. I do what I can by wearing a really good N95 mask while at the airport and on the plane.

correcaminos

my apologies and let me rephrase - what is easy for you to get to along the way may not be as “along the way” for our DD. Bathroom examples I am thinking of that aren’t “along the way” for her include those by Pinocchio’s village haus, those by Gaston’s back at the back of new fantasyland, the ones by space mountain, the ones by figment, dinoland, etc. just as a small set.

Ones that are more “along the way” for her would be like the ones in Africa, toy story land, Frontierland/Adventureland crossover (from Adventureland esp), just as a small set.
Can also be where one likes to go. We stop at Gaston's or do Little Mermaid so that bathroom is along the way. Some aren't great but I'd say we can find something along our normal route. MK probably has harder to find in some areas, but usually I can just wait to wash and not touch stuff as needed. MK is also not the park we visit most.

hopemax

So this concert is finally a go.
We're back!

I was going to update when it happened, but the thread got locked. We had a fun night at the concert, and 3 days later we had Covid. This time was milder than the first time. I thought my throat was hurting because of the screaming songs for 3 hours, but to be conscientious we took tests and got light pink lines. Never got the strong magenta lines as the first go around, and when we retested a week later before our next event, we were negative. So in case it wasn't already blindingly obvious given the reports, this variant... outdoor spread is a reality. May was a "big spending" month since I went to WDW and DH had a minor surgical thing. So at the time of this event we weren't "out and about" with people. Just grocery store and the concert.

Angel Ariel

Can also be where one likes to go. We stop at Gaston's or do Little Mermaid so that bathroom is along the way. Some aren't great but I'd say we can find something along our normal route. MK probably has harder to find in some areas, but usually I can just wait to wash and not touch stuff as needed. MK is also not the park we visit most.
We spend the most time in MK :) 2 full days on a 5 day trip, always. (And still don’t get it all done).

Touchdown

I’ve had a grand total of two URI since Covid started. Haven’t had a GI bug either. I believe that is due to my increased use of hand sanitizer and will not be changing my Covid routine. I carry a small bottle everywhere at WDW and use it prior to eating or touching my face.

UNCgolf

This all seems highly irresponsible to me considering that the Palm Beach Post and many other publications have just reported that deaths and hospitalizations in Florida are currently spiking.

But yeah, let's all complain about how the hand sanitizer stations were gross.

I think it's more that Disney has recognized that scientifically speaking, this wasn't really accomplishing anything in terms of preventing Covid transmission. I think it was more a ploy to attract guests with the veneer of safety than anything else, and since that no longer seems to be a concern (i.e. guests are showing up in droves), they're giving up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom