Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney doesn't have a choice. They have to leave theirs in as long as the federal mandate is in place.

But nobody has been able to provide a reason why beyond a vague suggestion that Disney transportation is under NTSB control which I don't know if I buy.

GimpYancIent

But nobody has been able to provide a reason why beyond a vague suggestion that Disney transportation is under NTSB control which I don't know if I buy.
Not the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board). This is their mandate.
"The National Transportation Safety Board is an independent Federal agency charged by Congress with investigating every civil aviation accident in the United States and significant accidents in other modes of transportation – railroad, highway, marine and pipeline. The NTSB determines the probable cause of the accidents and issues safety recommendations aimed at preventing future accidents. In addition, the NTSB carries out special studies concerning transportation safety and coordinates the resources of the Federal Government and other organizations to provide assistance to victims and their family members impacted by major transportation disasters.
Statutory authority is defined by 49 U.S.C. § 1133."
Maybe you mean the Department of Transportation?

G00fyDad

They have been under the guidance of the NTSB since the monorail accident. I don't know. Maybe it is because Disney considers itself (in Florida) to be it's own governing body and therefore the busses and monorail are considered public transportation? And I admit that I am basing my info from others that talked about this in this forum (and others) after the monorail incident.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They have been under the guidance of the NTSB since the monorail accident. I don't know. Maybe it is because Disney considers itself (in Florida) to be it's own governing body and therefore the busses and monorail are considered public transportation? And I admit that I am basing my info from others that talked about this in this forum (and others) after the monorail incident.

That's sort of my point, we are only going but what others have said on this board.

Tom P.

This is just asinine at this point. Either it's safe to be on a bus without a mask or it's not. Nothing now is significantly different from a month ago and nothing will be significantly different in two weeks. Things with Covid nationwide are just about as good as they are ever going to get. I'm not sure what pressure they are feeling to keep this stupid mandate in place, or why they seem to want to extend it in little baby steps, but it's way past time for it to go. And that's as far as I will go in discussing the mandate itself, lest I wade into politics.

As for Disney, like others, I don't believe that they have to follow the mandate. I think that they and their ultra-conservative lawyers have made the decision that they don't want to go against it lest they be sued by some guest who catches Covid. But I don't see any way that this mandate could legally be applied to them. I certainly don't buy the "they are under the jurisdiction of the NTSB" because, as has been pointed out, that's not what the NTSB is/does.

correcaminos

The Gov't just extended it's mask mandate on transportation for another 15 days. Wonder if WDW will drop or leave theirs for tranportation/monorail?
Leave - almost 100% positive of this
The requirement has been dropped since then.
Yep. Happened right around the time I was there last month. Labeled as an attraction vs transportation
Good point. Hugs were supposed to come back also on April 18. Now that the mandate is extended will the hugs get extended too?
Doubt it. I don't think the two were related. They started bringing them back I thought I saw at DLP already?

correcaminos

This is just asinine at this point. Either it's safe to be on a bus without a mask or it's not. Nothing now is significantly different from a month ago and nothing will be significantly different in two weeks. Things with Covid nationwide are just about as good as they are ever going to get. I'm not sure what pressure they are feeling to keep this stupid mandate in place, or why they seem to want to extend it in little baby steps, but it's way past time for it to go. And that's as far as I will go in discussing the mandate itself, lest I wade into politics.

As for Disney, like others, I don't believe that they have to follow the mandate. I think that they and their ultra-conservative lawyers have made the decision that they don't want to go against it lest they be sued by some guest who catches Covid. But I don't see any way that this mandate could legally be applied to them. I certainly don't buy the "they are under the jurisdiction of the NTSB" because, as has been pointed out, that's not what the NTSB is/does.
That's the issue... some argue they do due to the monorail death. I cannot imagine why they would otherwise

correcaminos

No, but I agree with the original point. How ludicrous that they say it's safe to actually expose the cast members to tons of unmasked people giving them hugs each day, but it's not safe to ride on a bus with someone who is unmasked.
To quote myself from another thread

Talk Reaction GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No, but I agree with the original point. How ludicrous that they say it's safe to actually expose the cast members to tons of unmasked people giving them hugs each day, but it's not safe to ride on a bus with someone who is unmasked.

At this point it is clearly not being driven by safety concerns. There is something else that is preventing Disney from dropping the requirement.

cranbiz

No. Sorry you are wrong.

Disney is subject to DOT rules (state and federal) for transportation. The NTSB has nothing to do with day to day operations. Disney will enact NTSB recommendations out of an accident, like the monorail accident but the NTSB does not oversee Disney. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom