Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Are you sure? I took a proctored test (I was curious how the process worked) and I'm pretty sure the camera wasn't on the whole time. But maybe I'm misremembering.
The doctor wasn't watching, but I'm very sure someone was. It's been since Aug since we did one Abbott brand. We had the camera on and in the little window you could tell it was being viewed.

disneygeek90

Are you sure? I took a proctored test (I was curious how the process worked) and I'm pretty sure the camera wasn't on the whole time. But maybe I'm misremembering.
I had to take a test for a cruise a few months ago and they made it clear that the camera needed to stay directly on the test for the 15 min break. I imagine someone is watching, or is alerted if there’s movement.

Trauma

That is unfortunate. :( Even as a pro-mask person I do understand the harm that this pandemic has caused and the damage it does to the mental health of a lot of people. It is sad that it was even necessary in the first place.
I’m hoping those people will come around after awhile. Hopefully they have some good friends that will slowly start to re introduce then to life.

As someone who’s business was considered “essential” I never isolated even during the worst of it. I can’t even fathom how someone could be scared to leave their house.

That being said I encounter people who work from home, have their essentials delivered etc and I start to see things from their point of view.
They have not left their house in a couple years and the world outside is scary to them. My neighbor is one of those people and I encouraged her to go for a walk with me the other day. To my surprise she agreed. She did wear an N95 to go for a walk outside, but at least she left the house.
Baby steps I guess.

correcaminos

I know two individuals (that have no major health concerns) that are still living the way they were in March and April 2020. For nearly two years now they have essentially not left their homes, and when they have for essential reasons suit up like they are going into a biohazard.

At this point I don't think folks like that will ever "go back to normal", the last two years have created their current lifestyle as their permanent normal. It's unfortunate.
Anxiety is real and mental health have taken its toll on many. I hope in all sincerity they get the help they need.

Nubs70

I find it ironic that some of the people justifying the CDC holding back an enormous amount of data were apoplectic when the Florida COVID dashboard wasn't displaying the data for non-resident cases even though the raw data was easily accessible.

Through this entire pandemic, I have lost a lot of faith in the CDC. This latest report is just another factor. The agency has done very little right when it comes to COVID. At the beginning they couldn't manage to produce an accurate test in any reasonable quantity. They've changed guidance drastically in short order. Nothing the CDC has done prevented COVID or controlled it to any great degree and those two words are what comprise the agency's name.

As far as the latest revelation, the thing that is most disturbing to me is that they withheld the data on booster efficacy for 18-49 year old people. I am in that age bracket and would have liked to have been able to look at this data prior to getting boosted. I don't know if it would have changed my mind or not but it would have been nice to be able to have additional information instead of going with the "it can't hurt" philosophy.

If "they" want to discourage anti-vaxxer talking points, withholding booster efficacy data for a huge swath of the population is not a good way to tamp down conspiracy theories.
Witholding data may well tamp down anti vaxx talking points but also denies the ability to determine scientific fact.

Scientists have no right to withold data.

DisneyCane

I know two individuals (that have no major health concerns) that are still living the way they were in March and April 2020. For nearly two years now they have essentially not left their homes, and when they have for essential reasons suit up like they are going into a biohazard.

At this point I don't think folks like that will ever "go back to normal", the last two years have created their current lifestyle as their permanent normal. It's unfortunate.
My mom is kind of like that. She has CLL which can cause immune issues. However, she is tested regularly and her tests show that she doesn't have any issues yet (they may develop in the future). This caused her to develop a severe case of COVID anxiety. When my dad was severely ill in the hospital in August 2020 (due to a brain hemorrhage) and was clearly likely to die (which he did a few days later), she would literally start shaking at the thought of going to visit him even though she could wear an N95 mask.

While she will leave the house these days (after being vaccinated and boosted), she double masks (with one being a KN95) wherever she goes. My Aunt from NJ was supposed to visit and stay at her house this month because she would visit friends while in FL and those visits would take place without masks.

Of course, she is fine that my brother lives in the house (which is a whole other story) and he goes places unmasked all the time and is around unmasked people all the time.
Anxiety is real and mental health have taken its toll on many. I hope in all sincerity they get the help they need.
I keep trying to find a way to get my mom to see a psychologist or psychiatrist but am having great difficulty getting her past the stigma of getting help for mental illness when she doesn't see how bad her anxiety is and has convinced herself that it is perfectly rational.

Lilofan

The doctor wasn't watching, but I'm very sure someone was. It's been since Aug since we did one Abbott brand. We had the camera on and in the little window you could tell it was being viewed.
Reminds me of a drug test prior to employment back in the day. When I had to pee in the cup in the mens bathroom the female staff member followed me in and observed me from my back.

mmascari

I find it ironic that some of the people justifying the CDC holding back an enormous amount of data were apoplectic when the Florida COVID dashboard wasn't displaying the data for non-resident cases even though the raw data was easily accessible.
Did anyone here actually say it was a good idea for them to hold back the data?

I thought all the posts I saw agreed that it was bad.

Understanding the reasons they did it is not the same as agreeing with those reasons. For instance, I understand how they arrived at that decision, but I think they were wrong to make the decision that they did. They took the "short term easy" way out instead of dealing with those reasons as part of releasing the data. The made the long term harder in the process.

The CDC of today is not the CDC of 2 years ago and it's certainly not the CDC of 10 years ago. The agency is very diminished today despite the increased need for them to be better.

correcaminos

Reminds me of a drug test prior to employment back in the day. When I had to pee in the cup in the mens bathroom the female staff member followed me in and observed me from my back.
Fortunately never experienced that level. But yes they watched me walk in. No bags allowed and waited by the door.

mmascari

That's not really surprising. If you think of it as a spectrum, there's going to be people at the biohazard level precautions at one end, and people at the other that never did anything at all, the pandemic didn't really exist for them. Most people are going to fall in the middle somewhere.

I would bet everyone on this thread knows a friend, or friend of a friend, that basically didn't do anything and didn't change any behavior at all. Maybe not quite that far, but some pretty close to that. So, it's not really a surprise to hear about people at the other end too.

Even in my own extended family, we have most of the spectrum covered. From families that have been on many vacations and did only the minimum required by schools, to families that worry about exposures in the week leading up to family events to avoid creating an exposure at the family event. But, most of them fall somewhere in the middle, taking reasonable precautions.

Statistically, more of the ones at the party end have had COVID, but it's not an absolute. Some at the more restrained end have too, just less of them.

Again, most people are going to fall in the middle somewhere, which means we're not going to tell stories about them. They're boring. The super careful and the ultra dismissive, that's where all the "excitement" happens. :)

DisneyCane

Did anyone here actually say it was a good idea for them to hold back the data?

I thought all the posts I saw agreed that it was bad.

Understanding the reasons they did it is not the same as agreeing with those reasons. For instance, I understand how they arrived at that decision, but I think they were wrong to make the decision that they did. They took the "short term easy" way out instead of dealing with those reasons as part of releasing the data. The made the long term harder in the process.

The CDC of today is not the CDC of 2 years ago and it's certainly not the CDC of 10 years ago. The agency is very diminished today despite the increased need for them to be better.
I wasn't necessarily referring to posters in the thread but moreso "people" I've heard commenting about this story.

Bob Harlem

Miami-Dades's hospitalization numbers are getting extremly low, with 2/3 of cases incidental

85 in Jackson health (miami's largest hospital system) and only around 199 county wide (as of yesterday, today's number should be around 150) (Miami Population is around 2.7 million)

Orange county positivity is under 10% again, and still dropping quickly.

Last edited:

James J

In the Parks
No

We had to do the proctored tests for travelling to the US from the UK in December, and they only watched us take the test itself. Nobody stayed watching to get the results - we just had to upload a photo of the test next to the info cards they came with.

correcaminos

We had to do the proctored tests for travelling to the US from the UK in December, and they only watched us take the test itself. Nobody stayed watching to get the results - we just had to upload a photo of the test next to the info cards they came with.
That's not how ours was at all. I assume your info cards were numbered or something?

dreday3

I wonder if this thread will make it to 5000 pages?

With COVID declining at a rapid rate, mask requirements removed for the vaccinated at WDW and the only place masks are required are on enclosed transportation, the topic is nearly not a topic of conversation for much longer. Let's hope it stays that way :cool:

WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoeCamel

I wonder if this thread will make it to 5000 pages?

With COVID declining at a rapid rate, mask requirements removed for the vaccinated at WDW and the only place masks are required are on enclosed transportation, the topic is nearly not a topic of conversation for much longer. Let's hope it stays that way :cool:
Oh ye of little faith....
WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoeCamel

Surely we can at least even hit the 100K post mark?
7M views...

th.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom