Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

FYI, on my first day back to work in two weeks, the overall going theme is that the treatments for COVID are in severe short supply nationally, due to overwhelming demand.
For all those who are loosing hope and ready to just give up all mitigations and accept they're going to get it eventually anyway.

Keep holding out at least a few more weeks. You don't want to need treatment at the same time as everyone else. It's in short supply just like home tests, TP, morning Lightning Lane times, or whatever shelf is empty in your local grocery store.

At least hold out hope and keep up what you can until you're clear of the shortages. After that, if you want go lick doorknobs, that's on you. I'll keep holding out personally, since I would rather dodge getting it.

dovetail65

I'd kick him to the curb. He knowingly put your family at risk by lying. That's as big a violation of trust as I can imagine.
Yep wife and grandpa want him out. As a teen my girlfriend who turned into my 1st wife took me in and taught me so much, so I have a soft spot for teens and young 20's that are trying hard and need help.

dovetail65

Do what you will. Even with all the precautions, you've got to step out of your bunker at some point. Omicron is waiting... :depressed: ;)
Me to, I am trying to dodge but I feel it is inevitablee that I will get it. Some thing as safe as we can be are just out of our hands. I dodged one bullet and feel like another is only one breath away. Well off to work before I do get it and lose work time.

mmascari

Because people are refusing the prevention arm, which is then overwhelming our ability to actually treat sick people!!! The prevention arm is simple, cheap, and widely available. The treatment arm is extremely expensive, and much more difficult to scale up.
It's almost like......

mmascari

Do what you will. Even with all the precautions, you've got to step out of your bunker at some point. Omicron is waiting... :depressed: ;)
Nobody said anything about hiding in a bunker.

I specifically said "ready to just give up all mitigations". We've seen many posts recently about "what's the point of doing anything, we're all going to get it anyway". And, the point of still taking some mitigation efforts is to not get sick at the same time as everyone else.

There's no bunker here. There's also no poorly ventilated smoky bar either. But, there's a very big world between the two.

Epcotfan21

Rapid at-home tests are not picking up Omicron well. If you continue to have symptoms and get a negative rapid test, schedule a PCR test to confirm.
Tested negative twice with a rapid test at home, 72 hours apart. Didn't bother getting PCR tested because the lines here in South Florida have been 3-4 hours long, so I just assumed I had it and stayed home. Had bad body aches for a day, then it turned to nasal congestion, sore throat and cough.

Ayla

Tested negative twice with a rapid test at home, 72 hours apart. Didn't bother getting PCR tested because the lines here in South Florida have been 3-4 hours long, so I just assumed I had it and stayed home. Had bad body aches for a day, then it turned to nasal congestion, sore throat and cough.
You had omicron. I hope you're starting to feel better.

Epcotfan21

You had omicron. I hope you're starting to feel better.
That's what I'm guessing. Especially since I had a cold right after Christmas too. So the fact that I've been sick twice in a matter of weeks, also in a state where Omicron is on fire, the odds are high that it was Covid the second time around.

Feeling better each day, thanks. Just have a cough that is mostly only bothersome at night while laying down with post nasal drip.

Wife and 3 year old never showed symptoms, so I'm guessing I wasn't very contagious.

dovetail65

Tested negative twice with a rapid test at home, 72 hours apart. Didn't bother ge irregardless to cases etc. tting PCR tested because the lines here in South Florida have been 3-4 hours long, so I just assumed I had it and stayed home. Had bad body aches for a day, then it turned to nasal congestion, sore throat and cough.
Yeah but if you test positive the false positive for at home tests are really rare so knowing that they do have value. Plus we can buy the good PCR test , do it at home adn wait a couple days, still better than a 4 hours line. For me it make no sense to get Covid while waiting to get tested for Covid. Getting tested is not in my Budget
Well, we aren't going to magically vaccinate more in significant numbers anytime soon...
And there lies part of the problem, I have said this before, we need an Elvis moment.

Come Jan 15th the at home tests are free, 8 to each person per month by federal law.

Watch Fl Gov will come out and say we dont want the feds help and propose a law make it illegal for insurance companies to have to pay because well you know big business should get all the benefits( a joke for those that take everything serious or is it?). I am so tired of DeSantis.

Having dual home, one in FL and one in IL and being Republican I just do not see the appeal of this guy and glad Disney doesn't listen to him. IL by far and away is better at taking care of Covid no matter what the papers say. Want a PCR test, it is a 5 minute wait in IL by my house and betting we have more people and as many sick.

Nubs70

The vaccines largely prevent hospitalisation and the need for treatment. You know that already, and I can't for the life of me understand why you're pretending you don't.
Why not develop treatments for both unvaxxed and vaxxed that can be applied at home before conditions deteriorate to the point hospitalization is required?

Would this not reduce the strain on the overwhelmed Healthcare system?

DisneyCane

Okay, we allow my daughters boyfriend to stay here.

So he gets Covid and we find out he lied, he was never vaccinated. My dad wants him out on his *** as my son is super high risk.
Anyhow we are all boostered up, we isolate everyone is in their own room(even my wife and I as we both can not get sick at the same time), luckily we have a five bedroom and I have a huge 2400 sq ft shop separate building with another bedroom(slight brag) that I can hide in. We all wore and wear our mask around each other.

Guess what after 10 days he is testing negative and NOT one of us, that 6 other people, is or got sick or tested positive.

So anyone says that masking and vaccinations dont work, well that is malarkey. It may not be scientific, but if it can be controlled in my house of mayhem it can be controlled out in the real world at least to an extent to where these rules and mandates are worth it.

As highly contagious as Omicron is the Dr said be ready for all of us to get it, so far it appears that just is not going to happen and it's not luck, it's being super careful.

So at this point do I toss the kid out if he doesn't now get vaccinated ? Grandpa and my wife want the kid gone for lying as it is.

Oh my gosh ALL VACCINE'S, the many you and all of us were given as a child, the ones that have been REQUIRED by all 50 states in some form for kids to get in school ALLOW for people getting and transmission!

Treatment is great but prevention rules! Look at polio, the treatment was an iron lung, how did that work for those people. Only the vaccine saved us from polio. Oh yeah now they have an iron lung you can walk around with, that's a nice treatment. I am betting those people wished they took the vaccine.

Think of it this way, for the people that say the vaccine still allows for the transmission anyhow, but we know as fact the people that do get sick when vaccinated hardly get sick at all, why not call the vaccine a treatment, just ahead of time. The vaccine treats us from being put on respirators or dying. Vaccines are part of the over all treatment of the population as a whole from this virus and many other diseases .
Out of curiosity, how recently did the people who had boosters get the boosters? Studies have indicated that the boosters are pretty effective (75%) against Omicron infection for 9 or 10 weeks.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Why not develop treatments for both unvaxxed and vaxxed that can be applied at home before conditions deteriorate to the point hospitalization is required?
In hindsight, this likely would have been a good investment to make early on...in addition to the vast investments made towards vaccines.

mmascari

Would this not reduce the strain on the overwhelmed Healthcare system?
We have a wonderful treatment for the unvaccinated that can be applied before conditions deteriorate. It's widely available, cheap to deliver, and free to the individual. Very much like other treatments available to people, there are specific timing considerations. Good news, the timing window for this one is HUGE. The bad news, that huge window is all BEFORE you catch COVID. Still, compared to other treatment options with windows like "within 3 days after infection" or "within 3 days of symptoms", it's a much larger time window to be effective.

Many people who are smarter than everyone on this board highly recommend this option for the unvaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom