Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Posted this elsewhere, but this thread seems to get more traffic, so here goes:

Take with a grain of salt, but I just saw a social media post from a friend who’s a coordinator at Studios.

Unvaccinated CMs are being called in to speak with managers. Terminations have begun.

They're being terminated if unvaccinated, but if within an allotted period of time they get vaccinated and provide proof, they'll be reinstated.

So far, the CM's my friend has spoken with have no intention of getting vaccinated.

BrianLo

Issue with Canada comparison is they got hit with the delta prior to their vaccine roll-out....but yes, they have a good vaccination rate.

Our Spring Wave was Alpha based. Not Delta. Which was the same as the US, but since the US was more heavily vaccinated it was much more of a blip.

Delta mostly started summer onwards post our mass vaccine campaign in the late spring. Causing some provinces like Alberta to think we could pull off what the US did in the spring.

Here’s an obnoxious amount of data…

Vegas Disney Fan

And so it begins…
Hard to address this without getting political but vaccine mandates have always been handled at the state level, always, the only exception is for federal employees.

Its too bad we couldn’t get past the politics and get to a high enough vaccination level voluntarily to avoid what is sure to be an ugly political fight with political ramifications that will last far beyond the Covid vaccine.

ArmoredRodent

Hard to address this without getting political but vaccine mandates have always been handled at the state level, always, the only exception is for federal employees.

Actually, not entirely political in design, but it does seem to be working out that way. Unlike most such reviews of Executive Branch decisions, the appeals process for the OSHA Emergency rules anticipates multiple national challenges, is very complicated, and is set out in statutes. See for example, 29 U.S.C s. 655(f). The cases are expedited, filed in the Circuit Courts of Appeal rather than the lower District Courts, and consolidated under complex rules. As of yesterday, from Prof. Josh Blackman's recent summary, there are four primary challenges filed in various Circuits by various combinations of State Attorneys General.

Calling the Fifth Circuit's stay a "victory" for Texas and the other four states which filed suit there is accurate to some degree, but really is quite premature. The first Circuit to issue a pre-enforcement stay of the OSHA rules gets to keep its stay in place for some time, but it isn't a win until the cases are all decided. It's more a temporary cease fire than a victory. Lots more to come here.

UPDATE: Here's a nice, relatively-balanced summary by Prof. Ilya Somin of the current state-of-play of the Fifth Circuit ruling:

Last edited:

Diamond Dot

I booked my March trip back in May when they had the dining credit offer and the $200 gift card. I was so excited when they announced Brits could travel to the US again from the 9th November, but, now I find out that it's only people vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, I'm fully vaccinated with the Astra Zenica one and waiting for my invitation for the booster. I'm starting to get worried now, thankfully Virgin holidays will let me change my dates if this doesn't change.

lazyboy97o

I booked my March trip back in May when they had the dining credit offer and the $200 gift card. I was so excited when they announced Brits could travel to the US again from the 9th November, but, now I find out that it's only people vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, I'm fully vaccinated with the Astra Zenica one and waiting for my invitation for the booster. I'm starting to get worried now, thankfully Virgin holidays will let me change my dates if this doesn't change.
It is not only the Pfizer vaccine.

ToTBellHop

Actually, not entirely political in design, but it does seem to be working out that way. Unlike most such reviews of Executive Branch decisions, the appeals process for the OSHA Emergency rules anticipates multiple national challenges, is very complicated, and is set out in statutes. See for example, 29 U.S.C s. 655(f). The cases are expedited, filed in the Circuit Courts of Appeal rather than the lower District Courts, and consolidated under complex rules. As of yesterday, from Prof. Josh Blackman's recent summary, there are four primary challenges filed in various Circuits by various combinations of State Attorneys General.

Calling the Fifth Circuit's stay a "victory" for Texas and the other four states which filed suit there is accurate to some degree, but really is quite premature. The first Circuit to issue a pre-enforcement stay of the OSHA rules gets to keep its stay in place for some time, but it isn't a win until the cases are all decided. It's more a temporary cease fire than a victory. Lots more to come here.
It’s also not something that will matter all that much. Any business that functions in multiple states is likely to just set a mandate anyway, as we are already seeing. And any business can, of course, do this.

sullyinMT

Texas is trying to stop companies from enforcing any such corporate rule in the state.
Among others. I have more confidence in the “anti-mandates” falling should companies challenge them (FL, TX, MT, and I’m sure others), more than OSHA succeeding. In the interim, companies that use the new OSHA requirement as a shield or excuse of sorts will help get more people vaccinated.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Among others. I have more confidence in the “anti-mandates” falling should companies challenge them (FL, TX, MT, and I’m sure others), more than OSHA succeeding. In the interim, companies that use the new OSHA requirement as a shield or excuse of sorts will help get more people vaccinated.
And many companies will keep their current policies in place for as long as possible. Until this gets sorted and they have a more definite direction.

James J

In the Parks
No
It never has been just the Pfizer vaccine. I'm not sure where you're getting your information or who told you this from but @lazyboy97o has posted the correct list, which is the same list as when the re-opening of travel was announced. From 8th November you'll be able to enter the US.

Vegas Disney Fan

By the time all these cases make it through the courts they’ll hopefully be irrelevant.

We are now at 80% with at least one vaccination over age 12, if we can get 80% of the 5-12 age group jabbed we’ll probably be at 75% of the whole population vaccinated, add another 15% who have some sort of natural immunity and hopefully that’s enough to finally end this thing. We just need to pray there’s no more variants.

Thats not even accounting for the very promising treatments working through the approval process. It’s been a long year and a half, I can’t wait til Covid is just a distant memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom