Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisc

From the Daily Beast article..."The couple first made the bombshell claim on Facebook, where Nicole Sperry wrote that Teresa “would have continued to be here if people would have stopped sending their sick kids to school."
Some parents will knowingly send a sick kid to school. Some infected kids will be asymptotic. Masks at least for kids too young to get vaccinated makes sense

TrainsOfDisney

"Johnson & Johnson said on Tuesday it had submitted data to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for emergency use authorization of a booster shot of its Covid-19 vaccine in people aged 18 years and older."

So if someone got the first J&J but doesn’t get the “booster” are they still considered vacinated?

This is gonna get messy if they don’t get their act together. (Same with Pfizer)

mmascari

Who said it isn’t. The specific comment was made that as part of the discussion around this girl’s death there should be a discussion around how obesity is a risk factor for severe covid but the parents said she had no underlying conditions so while obesity being a high risk factor is true it doesn’t appear to be relevant in this case. Nowhere was anyone disputing what the definition of obesity is.
You fell for it, got sucked in Goof. I almost posted that exact reply with some snarky note about "incoming in a minute". Then I had to go out, and when I came back, there is was almost exactly as imagined it would be.

That particular poster has been posting facts that should be read in total isolation without any relation to the posts they're replying to. In this case, the fact about BMI being posted in complete isolation with no relationship to anything else in the thread, the conversation occurring, or the post is was a reply to.

It's just a fact, in a post, in total isolation with no relationship to any other post. That obese, as defined by the CDC, is a BMI over 30. It's not a commentary or related to any other post at all in any way.

When read that way, it's much easier to just ignore. Since it's not intended to be a part of the conversation flow anyway. Someone is also never right or wrong and neither advancing or changing direction of a conversation if they're just throwing out random facts, since they're not really part of the conversation flow anyway.

It's the same reason someone may say "Vaccines have some risk associated with them". Leaving out any context to what that risk is, what's the alternative risk, and definitely not trying to say one should think twice about getting a vaccine. They're just throwing out this fact in total isolation with no context at all. You know all the context that makes that statement sound stupid along with stating that they're emphatically not trying to suggest the unsaid context that one shouldn't get a vaccine or should do their own research to understand this fact. It's as if the comment is unaware of the rest of the world or the implied associations that go with it. It's just a fact, on it's own, in isolation, related to nothing else at all in the universe.

I think it's all performance art. It's the only explanation that makes any sense. You got sucked in this time.

mmascari

So if someone got the first J&J but doesn’t get the “booster” are they still considered vacinated?

This is gonna get messy if they don’t get their act together. (Same with Pfizer)
They've only applied so far. But, assuming it goes through, it's just like a Tetanus vaccine. If you've only completed part of the course, you're not done. You're as done as you are far along at the time.

ABQ

I've seen some restaurants, NY, with a clear tent, with heater, around individual tables. Kind of like a private igloo. Might not work in MI but works for regular winter
The ridiculous contraptions that pass for "outdoor dining" in NYC are ludicrous. Fully enclosed structures with heating and cooling doors, locks, and obligatory graffiti build on the street outside the restaurant property. I mean, good on them that they got away with it, but proving nothing more than that "outdoor dining" is safe was theatre while Broadway was closed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You fell for it, got sucked in Goof. I almost posted that exact reply with some snarky note about "incoming in a minute". Then I had to go out, and when I came back, there is was almost exactly as imagined it would be.

That particular poster has been posting facts that should be read in total isolation without any relation to the posts they're replying to. In this case, the fact about BMI being posted in complete isolation with no relationship to anything else in the thread, the conversation occurring, or the post is was a reply to.

It's just a fact, in a post, in total isolation with no relationship to any other post. That obese, as defined by the CDC, is a BMI over 30. It's not a commentary or related to any other post at all in any way.

When read that way, it's much easier to just ignore. Since it's not intended to be a part of the conversation flow anyway. Someone is also never right or wrong and neither advancing or changing direction of a conversation if they're just throwing out random facts, since they're not really part of the conversation flow anyway.

It's the same reason someone may say "Vaccines have some risk associated with them". Leaving out any context to what that risk is, what's the alternative risk, and definitely not trying to say one should think twice about getting a vaccine. They're just throwing out this fact in total isolation with no context at all. You know all the context that makes that statement sound stupid along with stating that they're emphatically not trying to suggest the unsaid context that one shouldn't get a vaccine or should do their own research to understand this fact. It's as if the comment is unaware of the rest of the world or the implied associations that go with it. It's just a fact, on it's own, in isolation, related to nothing else at all in the universe.

I think it's all performance art. It's the only explanation that makes any sense. You got sucked in this time.
I guess you may be right. It was a direct response to something I posted so I answered assuming it was an attempt to engage in or be part of the conversation. It’s not a big deal to me if it’s someone just trolling me. If that makes someone else happy then I’m glad to have brought some small amount of joy into this world. I will say that it’s ironic that people complain about people with dissenting opinions being shouted out of a thread but have no problem with that type of behavior. It’s bizarre how people think sometimes. I won’t stop responding to people who post directly to me or assuming they actually have a point to make. If that makes me a sucker so be it.

Lilofan

The ridiculous contraptions that pass for "outdoor dining" in NYC are ludicrous. Fully enclosed structures with heating and cooling doors, locks, and obligatory graffiti build on the street outside the restaurant property. I mean, good on them that they got away with it, but proving nothing more than that "outdoor dining" is safe was theatre while Broadway was closed.
Does it come with unheated port-o-potties nearby to go to the bathroom during their romantic igloo dinner?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Right now they are. So far no boosters have been approved for the general population and JnJ has only just applied for EUA although the FDA meeting is scheduled in a little less than 2 weeks. I would assume if vaccine boosters are approved for the general public eventually then at some point places with vaccine requirements would update them to include the full series including the boosters so 3 for mRNA and 2 for JnJ. That’s assuming the boosters are authorized for everyone not just high risk.

correcaminos

I found it ironic they said this also since they admitted they sent her to school the day after she was “sick” with a headache. For most children the initial symptoms are going to be very mild, just like their daughters, odd they blame other parents for doing exactly the same thing they did.

Interesting how the South has gone from one of the worst places to be to one of the best places to be… same with my neck of the woods, Vegas was horrible a month ago, it seems we’ve peaked and are no longer a hot spot.
Nope, you don't go blaming parents who have histories of migraines in the family. Not one bit. Sorry. My kid had a headache yesterday - from an unknown injury really but he didn't see it until it was pointed out. Went to the nurse, took his temp. He went back to class. You cannot assume every headache is something like covid.

If that were absolutely true what the teacher did with the student, that was 100% wrong. It's one thing to have a student take a bag to an injured child. It's another to have them bring it to a contagious sick one. I used to loathe that my school would let sick kids wait in the office - with a trash can. That totally changed.

Not sure I understand what is "intereting" that's what happens with peaks... who is the worst first often is the best first. Sorta. What I find more telling of life is how my county had a mini surge compared to the rest of the state. Guess what was the cause of that? ;) Or are you meaning something I totally am not understanding.

correcaminos

Right now they are. So far no boosters have been approved for the general population and JnJ has only just applied for EUA although the FDA meeting is scheduled in a little less than 2 weeks. I would assume if vaccine boosters are approved for the general public eventually then at some point places with vaccine requirements would update them to include the full series including the boosters so 3 for mRNA and 2 for JnJ. That’s assuming the boosters are authorized for everyone not just high risk.
Call me nuts, but I doubt we'll see fully vaccinated meaning 2 or 3 shots... just a gut feeling on it. But I also doubt they will be required for all anyway. Some think kids only need 1 even if not covid+ ever

lewisc

The ones I'm referring to contain one table. Guests mask up when they exit the igloo and go into the restaurant to use the bathroom.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Call me nuts, but I doubt we'll see fully vaccinated meaning 2 or 3 shots... just a gut feeling on it. But I also doubt they will be required for all anyway. Some think kids only need 1 even if not covid+ ever
If the boosters don’t become a thing for everyone then I cant see how they would be required anywhere. If they become part of the series like many other vaccines that are required they probably will become required too. If Covid ends up endemic and the covid vaccine becomes more like an annual flu shot then I would assume eventually when the public health emergency subsides they will no longer be required anywhere. All my guesses.

Vegas Disney Fan

Nope, you don't go blaming parents who have histories of migraines in the family. Not one bit. Sorry. My kid had a headache yesterday - from an unknown injury really but he didn't see it until it was pointed out. Went to the nurse, took his temp. He went back to class. You cannot assume every headache is something like covid.

If that were absolutely true what the teacher did with the student, that was 100% wrong. It's one thing to have a student take a bag to an injured child. It's another to have them bring it to a contagious sick one. I used to loathe that my school would let sick kids wait in the office - with a trash can. That totally changed.

Not sure I understand what is "intereting" that's what happens with peaks... who is the worst first often is the best first. Sorta. What I find more telling of life is how my county had a mini surge compared to the rest of the state. Guess what was the cause of that? ;) Or are you meaning something I totally am not understanding.
The difference being you sent your kid to the nurse, they took their temp, and determined it wasn’t Covid. The couple in the article say they gave their kid “medicine” and sent them back to school. Maybe they checked to see if it was Covid but they didn’t say they did, if they didn’t they did exactly what they are blaming the other parents for.

IF the teacher did what they said the teacher deserves whatever punishment he/she receives, a teacher dense enough to have students accompany someone potentially sick with Covid doesn’t belong in the classroom anyway.

I was just making an observation, nothing to read into it. Both Florida and Vegas have never ending supplies of tourists to keep a disease circulating, either the vaccines are finally getting ahead of delta, enough locals now have antibodies (from both vaccines and prior infection) to slow the spread, weather changes are encouraging outdoor activity again in the southern states so social distancing is increasing due to outdoor activity, etc, etc... just trying to make sense of relatively new virus.

correcaminos

If the boosters don’t become a thing for everyone then I cant see how they would be required anywhere. If they become part of the series like many other vaccines that are required they probably will become required too. If Covid ends up endemic and the covid vaccine becomes more like an annual flu shot then I would assume eventually when the public health emergency subsides they will no longer be required anywhere. All my guesses.
Yep total guesses on my part. I don't think they'll recommend doses for all and it might be a yearly thing maybe for some. I am totally guessing but I think that's where this will end once we get enough immunity one way or the other. (vaccines or natural, prefer vaccines personally). I also think we'll get too many dual - as in both natural and vaccine that this will become too much to monitor beyond the 1/2 dose we have now.
The difference being you sent your kid to the nurse, they took their temp, and determined it wasn’t Covid. The couple in the article say they gave their kid “medicine” and sent them back to school. Maybe they checked to see if it was Covid but they didn’t say they did, if they didn’t they did exactly what they are blaming the other parents for.

IF the teacher did what they said the teacher deserves whatever punishment he/she receives, a teacher dense enough to have students accompany someone potentially sick with Covid doesn’t belong in the classroom anyway.

I was just making an observation, nothing to read into it. Both Florida and Vegas have never ending supplies of tourists to keep a disease circulating, either the vaccines are finally getting ahead of delta, enough locals now have antibodies (from both vaccines and prior infection) to slow the spread, weather changes are encouraging outdoor activity again in the southern states so social distancing is increasing due to outdoor activity, etc, etc... just trying to make sense of relatively new virus.
No, my kid went to the nurse in school. I didn't do a darn thing. My 13yo can do it without me guiding him. And to be honest, I told him next time to just e-mail me and I'll bring him some advil. Once we took care of the annoying redness from irritation, he was fine. No way I'd keep home just for a headache if there were absolutely no other symptoms. Especially with a family history of migraines. Sorry.

They are not blaming people for sending sick kids to school though. Read it again - they are saying making a kid take stuff to sick kids is the issue. So extra unnecessary exposure. But yes, let's victim blame some here. Sorry I see it as nothing else. If you are meaning otherwise, I apologize but you're reading really poorly to me with this "parents at fault" stuff. You don't do that.

Florida and Vegas spiked earlier. It was bound to come down. Either enough get vaccinated out of fear or enough catch it - or the reality is a bit of both. One way or another we get immunity to drive cases down. Even India had that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
New study shows that fully vaccinated people with breakthrough infections are less likely to spread covid than unvaccinated people. I know a few weeks back there was a debate here on this topic. This was a large study that showed a significant decrease in transmission. Further evidence that the plan to get a high number of people vaccinated is the right plan and pokes a major hole in the theory that vaccines are only effective at reducing serious infection.

Nubs70

New study shows that fully vaccinated people with breakthrough infections are less likely to spread covid than unvaccinated people. I know a few weeks back there was a debate here on this topic. This was a large study that showed a significant decrease in transmission. Further evidence that the plan to get a high number of people vaccinated is the right plan and pokes a major hole in the theory that vaccines are only effective at reducing serious infection.

1633487518349.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom