Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

You think it will be different from the last time they removed the indoor mask mandate as far as waiting for kids to be vaccinated? Maybe because Delta is so much more transmissible?
I think because the vaccine light is much closer for kids this time, there’s merit to waiting. If early November holds, visitors to WDW could have their 5+ family vaccinated by New Year’s Day. It’s a nice date on the calendar if case trends also continue their decline. So, I’d guess sometime between 1/1 and 2/14.

JoeCamel

What kind of lawsuits are you envisioning?
Never can tell but in my observation lawyers advising multi billion operations are not prone to taking risk in any amount. They err on the side of "I'm so safe I can walk on water". If the client takes their advice is another matter but they CYA'ed and the client took their counsel.

Chi84

Premium Member
Never can tell but in my observation lawyers advising multi billion operations are not prone to taking risk in any amount. They err on the side of "I'm so safe I can walk on water". If the client takes their advice is another matter but they CYA'ed and the client took their counsel.
I’m sure they’re advising Disney as to what constitutes reasonable care under the current circumstances. But there’s no way the standard is “not taking risk in any amount.” They aren’t insurers of their guests’ health. They removed mask mandates in May even though a large percentage of their guests - children - were not able to be vaccinated.

JoeCamel

I’m sure they’re advising Disney as to what constitutes reasonable care under the current circumstances. But there’s no way the standard is “not taking risk in any amount.” They aren’t insurers of their guests’ health. They removed mask mandates in May even though a large percentage of their guests - children - were not able to be vaccinated.
No, but if they have a government agency to point to I think they feel the risk to the company is minimal if the company does as much as they can do. Will absolve the company of responsibility and that is their goal.

Bob Harlem

https:///2021/09/fl-covid-cases-drop-disney-world-50th-rwb1/

Don’t know if this has been discussed here yet or not, and don’t have time to dig through pages of posts. Does anyone have any idea if Disney will be dropping their indoor mask policies anytime soon based on the declining case numbers?
Before the end of the month, look for it when the 14 day average positivity rate drops below 5% for Orange County.

Chi84

Premium Member
No, but if they have a government agency to point to I think they feel the risk to the company is minimal if the company does as much as they can do. Will absolve the company of responsibility and that is their goal.
Complying with CDC guidelines would be a solid argument that they are exercising the required reasonable care toward their guests.

Jim L

The Covid virus is just fortunate that it was not responsible for the 9/11 tragedy for if it was, our country may be nearly 100% vaccinated. Perhaps if trips to WDW become unobtainable for those not vaccinated, more may take the jab.
This is what I've been waiting for. We are saving up for a big trip to Disney World to celebrate as soon as this happens. We have told Disney this. We did go down to Florida last year because of my parents death. We tried to stay on property for a few days. it was a big mess and told them as soon as their was a system to check for only Vaccinated people to come there, we would stay away.

dreday3

anyone get their flu shot yet?

I'm getting mine later this morning. We go to Disney in a little over two weeks, so I want it now.

I always get a fever after it, hoping maybe this time is different!

Angel Ariel

I'm getting mine later this morning. We go to Disney in a little over two weeks, so I want it now.

Found out from the health dept a few days ago that DH and I do qualify to get boosters as caregivers to a high risk person, so we have to figure out the timing on which we are getting first - the booster or the flu shot.

dreday3

Found out from the health dept a few days ago that DH and I do qualify to get boosters as caregivers to a high risk person, so we have to figure out the timing on which we are getting first - the booster or the flu shot.

I don't qualify for a booster. I've got Moderna, but I'm wondering what happens in Feb when it will have been a year...

Heelz2315

It may just be because it’s a somewhat certain timeframe now. In the past we didn’t know when kids would be approved and now we have a good level of confidence that sometime in the beginning of November kids 5-11 will most likely be going. Just a guess.

Since delta is more contagious and also the crowd levels are much higher now it probably makes sense to wait a little. The crowds seem pretty large with the 50th and with the holidays approaching they may not be in a hurry to make a change. I think once national cases drop further and the local FL cases flatline they may move on it or they may just wait until after the holidays when demand might have dropped off. Come the first quarter of 2022 there’s a chance we see national cases way down as well as local cases and we have a higher overall national vaccination rate which should make it likely they can drop mitigations and hopefully not bring them back.

This is what I believe is going to be the case as well. Disney has usually marched in line with the CDC directives. They said in July that "if you live in an area of high transmission you should mask indoors regardless of your vaccination status." High levels of transmission are defined by a rolling positivity rate of over 10%. As it stands today, Orange Co has fallen below that. Disney hasn't moved their indoor mask requirement.

I really feel like they'll leave it in place at least through the Holidays. Simply because they may have to bring it back in the winter IF things go south again. IF we can get through the Christmas Holidays without a major surge, as we get into late Feb/early March and Covid numbers have fallen even further or plateaued out, the I believe Disney will drop the mask mandate for a good long while. I don't think they want to bring them back, drop them a few months later, then bring them back again. I think once they drop them they want to have them gone for a good long while.

But then again I have NO way of knowing the metrics Disney uses to decisions off of. I wish I did.

Lilofan

This is what I believe is going to be the case as well. Disney has usually marched in line with the CDC directives. They said in July that "if you live in an area of high transmission you should mask indoors regardless of your vaccination status." High levels of transmission are defined by a rolling positivity rate of over 10%. As it stands today, Orange Co has fallen below that. Disney hasn't moved their indoor mask requirement.

I really feel like they'll leave it in place at least through the Holidays. Simply because they may have to bring it back in the winter IF things go south again. IF we can get through the Christmas Holidays without a major surge, as we get into late Feb/early March and Covid numbers have fallen even further or plateaued out, the I believe Disney will drop the mask mandate for a good long while. I don't think they want to bring them back, drop them a few months later, then bring them back again. I think once they drop them they want to have them gone for a good long while.

But then again I have NO way of knowing the metrics Disney uses to decisions off of. I wish I did.
If it is one thing among many that WDW is successful in is the subject of metrics in regards to how to plan and achieve better business outcome ( ie increasing revenue, etc ). ie - guest parking and fast pass was free back in the day. Hotel and Parks parking were free and FP back in the day one had to work for it ( ie at park opening , speed walk or run in 90 degree heat to the several FP locations to snag those coveted passes before they were all gone )

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

This is all just speculation for all of us since nobody knows what metrics Disney is using.

I think because there have not been a lot of public issues around the indoor masks being reinstated Disney will be less likely to remove the requirement. If the rule had been more contentious they might be more eager to remove it. I don’t think they will rush to retract it now. I also think there are many people who probably prefer it this way. I know from personal experience that I was happy they brought back indoor masks when we were going back in August with my unvaccinated son. I felt OK for myself and my wife and older son who were vaccinated but the 11 year old was going to be wearing a mask whether required or not and I felt a lot better knowing that everyone else was too and I also felt that some of the less careful people who refuse to wear a mask just stayed away (maybe went to Universal or SeaWorld) so it made things even more safe at WDW. I think some people who just want to see masks dropped for themselves don‘t realize that one of Disney’s primary demographics includes families with kids under 12 and a lot of those people are still very concerned with keeping their kids safe.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
CDC guidance, the lawyers will have someone to point to if things go south.
I also think there’s some desire to have consistent rules between WDW and DLR. That plays in a little and since WDW isn’t a locals park they need to look beyond the percent positive in Orange County. I do wonder if maybe they consider tying anything into the date when all CMs are vaccinated. I think that’s 10/22 but maybe later depending on when the last of the unions signed on.

Heelz2315

This is all just speculation for all of us since nobody knows what metrics Disney is using.

I think because there have not been a lot of public issues around the indoor masks being reinstated Disney will be less likely to remove the requirement. If the rule had been more contentious they might be more eager to remove it. I don’t think they will rush to retract it now. I also think there are many people who probably prefer it this way. I know from personal experience that I was happy they brought back indoor masks when we were going back in August with my unvaccinated son. I felt OK for myself and my wife and older son who were vaccinated but the 11 year old was going to be wearing a mask whether required or not and I felt a lot better knowing that everyone else was too and I also felt that some of the less careful people who refuse to wear a mask just stayed away (maybe went to Universal or SeaWorld) so it made things even more safe at WDW. I think some people who just want to see masks dropped for themselves don‘t realize that one of Disney’s primary demographics includes families with kids under 12 and a lot of those people are still very concerned with keeping their kids safe.

As long as they're gone by next Spring/Summer. I have stayed away from WDW because my son is not vaccinated (age 11) and I do not want to wear a mask indoors at WDW. Anywhere else I will gladly comply. But there, no way.

Hopefully by next Spring/Summer my son is vaxxed, my wife and I have out boosters and masks are gone at WDW so we can, since July of 2019 have our annual WDW vacation.

Chip Chipperson

I'm getting my soon - either the weekend coming up of the one after. I try not to get my shot too early in the season, so sometime in October or early November is my usual timeframe. I like to have it done at least 2-3 weeks before the holidays. I try to get it done on a Friday evening or Saturday so I have the next day off if I don't feel well. This year, I might not be quite so picky about the timing since I work from home anyway and have more time off remaining than I'll be able to use or carry over to next year at this point, so taking a day off for a post-shot fever just means that's one less day that I'll lose at the end of the year.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As long as they're gone by next Spring/Summer. I have stayed away from WDW because my son is not vaccinated (age 11) and I do not want to wear a mask indoors at WDW. Anywhere else I will gladly comply. But there, no way.

Hopefully by next Spring/Summer my son is vaxxed, my wife and I have out boosters and masks are gone at WDW so we can, since July of 2019 have our annual WDW vacation.
I feel pretty good that we will be in a much better place by Spring/Summer. Nobody knows what will happen for sure with variants and vaccinations, but assuming there isn’t some vaccine resistant variant and assuming vaccinations don’t completely stall out we should be at a point where cases are low enough to remove most or all mitigations. If I were a betting man I’d put money on no masks at WDW by next Spring.

Chi84

Premium Member

DH and I got flu shots a week ago. He was going to wait a week between getting his flu shot and the Pfizer booster, but the pharmacist told him that he could either get both shots at the same time or he would have to wait at least two weeks to get the COVID booster. Because of our upcoming trip, he decided to get both shots at the same time, one in each arm. He did not have any side effects. I got Moderna, so no booster at this time.

Chi84

Premium Member
You can get both the flu shot and the COVID booster at the same time. As I said in another post, I was told that if you don't get them at the same time, you have to wait two weeks between shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom