Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmoredRodent

I mean. Am I wrong? What purpose has this thread served? Ask yourself has this thread benefited the community in any way? Have there been some informative conversions? Yes, during the first 2 months. Otherwise, no. I’ve seen nothing but divisiveness and nastiness towards each other.
Yes, there is some truth in what you say: sometimes the same arguments are made over and over, especially when new participants who haven't reviewed jump in and ask the same questions and get the same answers, over and over.

But you may be overlooking the purpose of a long thread, which is to follow a rapidly-changing environment, even if people are not converted. And this thread has constantly evolved, discussing lots of new concepts, updating statistics, tracking changing governmental regulation and medical innovations. And the discussions are actually at a pretty high level much of the time, with lots of information and such clear explanations (of many, though not all, things) that some challenges are answered concisely and don't pop up again for a while.

But more to your point: if you let "divisiveness and nastiness" be the metric, you're basically asking extremists to be as nasty and divisive as possible in an effort to "win." Which seems self-defeating to your point. "Heckler's vetoes" are never a good idea.

A lot of the time, the answer is to treat those you disagree with as someone with a point of view that you should at least review and consider. If it's something you heard already a thousand times, then the effort to do that is limited. You can just skim, and read a full page in a few seconds. If, OTOH, someone deserves to be ignored, then ignore them.

But informed conversions have occurred here. More importantly, informed discussions, based on facts (sometimes disputed), and realistic, reasonable arguments, have also occurred here, and continue to do so. Progress is being made. I haven't had to jump into a discussion of sophisticated legal concepts here since Sept. 22, which to me is a pretty concrete indicator of progress. YMMV

seascape

People can continue to complain how Florida has handled this wave or say things are going fine. What is nor debatable any more is Florida is not the problem. Florida is now the 10th lowest state in the US for cases per 100,000 and falling fast than most of the other top 10. There is still a long way to go until we beat this terrible virus but I believe we are on our way and hope this is the last wave. It is up to all of us to make sure we keep the progress going. Please do your part.

correcaminos

Yeah, I get that, none of this is cut and dry. Your head seems to in the right place, I should respect that considering my biggest beef with this whole situation is that everyone should be working together and respecting each other instead digging their heels in and treating others with opposite viewpoints like the enemy. Division is not the answer but you read so much of it on here and it helps nothing.
Also keep in mind some people are frustrated. I know I am. And maybe frustrations pop through too. I was so enjoying summer. No real cases here to worry about, thought school would be normal for my kid. Now I'm sitting here counting masks and cast numbers and I think I needed way more black than I bought and less white. Not where I thought I'd be in June though I did buy some just in case.

Division isn't the answer and I don't believe it is inevitable. I do think we can work through it. While some here think I'm not cautious enough and others too cautious (not political as an FYI, just where people fall on what restrictions we should have), I'm trying my best. I know so many who are. One person I know who is running for a non-political local office relayed a conversation about masks with me. The result of the conversation was to step back and ponder the idea of "love thy neighbor" it resonated with the other who never looked at it that way. My phrase is "be kind"

I am grateful that our numbers are dropping as a whole. My wish is we have enough immunity via all methods to keep it dropping. An immunologist friend wished more had vaccinated and really and truly wished for more mandates as it would've kept their job better but is seeing signs of hope.

Meanwhile this is a friend of a loved one. https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loc...r-his-life-in-hospital-as-he-battles-covid-19

Another had their preschooler positive. 2 breakthrough cases in vaccinated (though teen is asymptomatic) because of it. That's what happens with spotty vaccination. We do all do better if more are...

GoofGoof

Premium Member

JoeCamel

Online discourse on stuff like Covid has made me want to try harder to care about others' even if I absolutely hate their particular take on a certain topic. Try to put myself in their shoes.

I think it's called empathy? I'm working on it.
So that's where it all went.

Stitch826

https:///2021/09/fl-covid-cases-drop-disney-world-50th-rwb1/

Don’t know if this has been discussed here yet or not, and don’t have time to dig through pages of posts. Does anyone have any idea if Disney will be dropping their indoor mask policies anytime soon based on the declining case numbers?

correcaminos

https:///2021/09/fl-covid-cases-drop-disney-world-50th-rwb1/

Don’t know if this has been discussed here yet or not, and don’t have time to dig through pages of posts. Does anyone have any idea if Disney will be dropping their indoor mask policies anytime soon based on the declining case numbers?
My guess? Not until 5-11 can begin to be vaccinated (edit: at least). Just to be safer. Going back and forth sucks.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
My guess? Not until 5-11 can begin to be vaccinated. Just to be safer. Going back and forth sucks.
You think it will be different from the last time they removed the indoor mask mandate as far as waiting for kids to be vaccinated? Maybe because Delta is so much more transmissible?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You think it will be different from the last time they removed the indoor mask mandate as far as waiting for kids to be vaccinated? Maybe because Delta is so much more transmissible?
It may just be because it’s a somewhat certain timeframe now. In the past we didn’t know when kids would be approved and now we have a good level of confidence that sometime in the beginning of November kids 5-11 will most likely be going. Just a guess.

Since delta is more contagious and also the crowd levels are much higher now it probably makes sense to wait a little. The crowds seem pretty large with the 50th and with the holidays approaching they may not be in a hurry to make a change. I think once national cases drop further and the local FL cases flatline they may move on it or they may just wait until after the holidays when demand might have dropped off. Come the first quarter of 2022 there’s a chance we see national cases way down as well as local cases and we have a higher overall national vaccination rate which should make it likely they can drop mitigations and hopefully not bring them back.

correcaminos

Yes to the latter. If we hadn't dealt with such a huge spike in many places, they wouldn't wait. But numbers got bad. Really bad. No complaints now, but flipping back and forth on mandates is not easy so given how close we are to young ones, I don't think we'll see it before then. Honestly maybe not until next year. But not dropping the mask mandate for the 50th was telling to me. Add in having a real timeline for vaccines just adds to it

Obviously it's a guess and I was wrong about only blips vs surges in many places so definitely more of a magic 8 ball based on a hunch than really knowing stuff ;)

Chi84

Premium Member
It may just be because it’s a somewhat certain timeframe now. In the past we didn’t know when kids would be approved and now we have a good level of confidence that sometime in the beginning of November kids 5-11 will most likely be going. Just a guess.

Since delta is more contagious and also the crowd levels are much higher now it probably makes sense to wait a little. The crowds seem pretty large with the 50th and with the holidays approaching they may not be in a hurry to make a change. I think once national cases drop further and the local FL cases flatline they may move on it or they may just wait until after the holidays when demand might have dropped off. Come the first quarter of 2022 there’s a chance we see national cases way down as well as local cases and we have a higher overall national vaccination rate which should make it likely they can drop mitigations and hopefully not bring them back.
Right. Most people thought they would hold off much longer on lifting the mask mandates in May. I don’t know what number they will wait for this time, but I strongly suspect it won’t be tied to kids getting vaccinated or national numbers going down.

correcaminos

Right. Most people thought they would hold off much longer on lifting the mask mandates in May. I don’t know what number they will wait for this time, but I strongly suspect it won’t be tied to kids getting vaccinated or national numbers going down.
Let me clarify I do not believe the day they are approved or even 5 weeks later, but that's something that I think will happen before they consider it. Really in my brain that was me thinking "at least" not just with it. Will edit to reflect me forgetting to type that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think Disney will always make the decisions based somewhat on national numbers. Back in May when they dropped indoor masks national numbers actually looked pretty good. Whether they wait longer this time is tough to predict but since the indoor masks don’t seem to have a major impact on business they are less likely to want to drop them again.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think Disney will always make the decisions based somewhat on national numbers. Back in May when they dropped indoor masks national numbers actually looked pretty good. Whether they wait longer this time is tough to predict but since the indoor masks don’t seem to have a major impact on business they are less likely to want to drop them again.
I suspect Disney wants to drop the masks as soon as possible, regardless of any impact on their business. As far as when that will be, my guess is sooner rather than later. Of course no one knows for certain. And who can say what measure they’re using.

JoeCamel

CDC guidance, the lawyers will have someone to point to if things go south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom