Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Pfizer has formally submitted data to the FDA on their trial for kids age 5-11. They have not applied for EUA yet, but this is the first step towards that. The EUA application is expected to be filed in a week or 2 and if the pace is similar to kids 12-16 it will take another 2-3 weeks for the FDA to review and approve. Should mean shots in the arm for kids 5-11 by the end of October.

Best news of the week so far.

Now, I'm hoping Moderna will soon follow with their results down to 6 months, although because this involves several different developmental stages, I assume it will take longer to review the data.

Hoping to have both of my kids (one of which who is not yet born) vaccinated by next summer.

ABQ

Pfizer has formally submitted data to the FDA on their trial for kids age 5-11. They have not applied for EUA yet, but this is the first step towards that. The EUA application is expected to be filed in a week or 2 and if the pace is similar to kids 12-16 it will take another 2-3 weeks for the FDA to review and approve. Should mean shots in the arm for kids 5-11 by the end of October.

Sorry, I can't help but laugh at how poor an image Axios chose for that thumbnail. Kid wincing in fear or pain or both, nurse giving the jab with their mask BELOW their nose. Well done.

DisneyDebRob

As it relates to covid, it’s not even close. We know obesity is one of the leading causes of severe covid if you were to get the virus. Those are just the facts. There was a reason people with obesity were placed in phase 1B for the vaccine roll out.
It’s why I said it in my post.

Bringing it back to COVID, we do know that people that may be overweight have a higher risk of something bad happening to them but again, it depends on their actual health.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So if I'm reading that right, and I'm not sure I am it's 95% effective? Is that in preventing severe disease/hospitalizations or in preventing infections?
No. They looked at the antibody response in this group and compared it to the antibody response in the 16-25 group from the original study and it showed a slightly higher response even though the dose was 1/3 the size. That was what they were testing. I don’t believe the trial results they are using to get EUA have a standard efficacy vs placebo and that may be because they didn’t get enough infections in the placebo group or it could be that they just decided to do it differently from the start. This is not uncommon when going down to younger kids for vaccines. The main focus was on safety. If the vaccines are safe for kids (and this trial showed they are) and if the antibody response of the lower dose is equivalent to the adult dose than there’s good reason to give EUA.

Kevin_W

Sorry, I can't help but laugh at how poor an image Axios chose for that thumbnail. Kid wincing in fear or pain or both, nurse giving the jab with their mask BELOW their nose. Well done.

Yeah, if you google the headline, a ton of stories/images come up. Axios had to intentionally pick that one.

Heppenheimer

No. They looked at the antibody response in this group and compared it to the antibody response in the 16-25 group from the original study and it showed a slightly higher response even though the dose was 1/3 the size. That was what they were testing. I don’t believe the trial results they are using to get EUA have a standard efficacy vs placebo and that may be because they didn’t get enough infections in the placebo group or it could be that they just decided to do it differently from the start. This is not uncommon when going down to younger kids for vaccines. The main focus was on safety. If the vaccines are safe for kids (and this trial showed they are) and if the antibody response of the lower dose is equivalent to the adult dose than there’s good reason to give EUA.
I can't 100% vouch that this was the case, but I recall reading on a more-or-less reliable website that they tested antibody levels as the primary endpoint because they didn't expect COVID to still be as widespread by the time they began testing on kids, and in the initial wave, kids weren't being infected at nearly the rates of adults either. Hence, it would have taken much longer to accumulate comparison cases in the placebo group. Of course, we all now know what actually happened...

If they've released the trial paper, I would like to see if efficacy was a secondary outcome they may have incidentally measured.

mmascari

N.C. hospital system fires about 175 workers in one of the largest-ever mass terminations due to a vaccine mandate​

If I read the article right, about 1% of employees were not vaccinated and then slightly more than half of those got vaccinated in time to avoid the firing. Roughly 35K employees, 375 hold outs, 200 got vaccinated in time. About half a percent of the workforce. The next question would be, what's the normal turnover rate like? This may be within what's normal.

(Gift link, will bypass Washington Post paywall for 2 weeks.)

Chip Chipperson

N.C. hospital system fires about 175 workers in one of the largest-ever mass terminations due to a vaccine mandate​

If I read the article right, about 1% of employees were not vaccinated and then slightly more than half of those got vaccinated in time to avoid the firing. Roughly 35K employees, 375 hold outs, 200 got vaccinated in time. About half a percent of the workforce. The next question would be, what's the normal turnover rate like? This may be within what's normal.

(Gift link, will bypass Washington Post paywall for 2 weeks.)

It doesn't matter, all certain social media buffoons will post is that hundreds of medical professionals were fired i stead of being hailed as heroes. Pay no mind to the fact that hospital employees can also include janitors, gift shop employees, cafeteria workers, etc. The percentage of employees terminated and what that hospital system's requirements for other vaccines also won't matter. Sadly, I've already seen those types of posts each time an article like this is published. As usual, the people comme ting have no desire to consider any of that information when there's keyboard freedom fighting to be done.

mmascari

The Washington Post link I posted shouldn't block either. At least for the next two weeks.

We subscribe to the Sunday paper for reasons, and it comes with online access which I've gotten reliant on not having to fight with. The gift link is something new, at least it's new to me seeing it. If I read the description correctly, I get 10 links a month I can share and anyone using that link should see the article without being prompted to login and no restrictions. After two weeks, it'll work like any other link with whatever the pay blocking is then. The description said it could be shared freely on social media. I also assume this pattern is why the page preview isn't loading in the forum.

Nubs70

So if I'm reading that right, and I'm not sure I am it's 95% effective? Is that in preventing severe disease/hospitalizations or in preventing infections?
95% confidence means that the scientists believe the titer tests will fall between the to limits stated, 1106 and 1296, with 2.5% below 1106 and 2.5% above 1296 assuming a normal distribution or "bell curve".

Heppenheimer

^can you translate that into english? LOL. I know Phizer when it came out was 96% effective against severe covid and death. how does the dose for 5-11 year olds stack up?
I'm waiting to read the actual trial paper, but it looks like they didn't measure efficacy directly, or at least not as the primary trial outcome. They compared the antibody levels in the 5-11 year old group to the 16-25 year old group in the original trials. There is very good precedent with previous vaccines to use this method as a proxy for efficacy.

It is possible that they also measured efficacy as a secondary outcome, but we'll need to wait to see the actual paper to know if this was the case. My gut feeling is that the trial wasn't powered sufficiently to measure this with enough statistical confidence.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Washington Post link I posted shouldn't block either. At least for the next two weeks.

We subscribe to the Sunday paper for reasons, and it comes with online access which I've gotten reliant on not having to fight with. The gift link is something new, at least it's new to me seeing it. If I read the description correctly, I get 10 links a month I can share and anyone using that link should see the article without being prompted to login and no restrictions. After two weeks, it'll work like any other link with whatever the pay blocking is then. The description said it could be shared freely on social media. I also assume this pattern is why the page preview isn't loading in the forum.
The New York Times does the same thing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
^can you translate that into english? LOL. I know Phizer when it came out was 96% effective against severe covid and death. how does the dose for 5-11 year olds stack up?
The 95% confidence has nothing to do with the efficacy of the vaccines or the 96% Pfizer reported initially. The efficacy number was not given and may or may not even exist since you need enough infections in the placebo group to calculate it.

The 95% confidence is a statistical measure. They believe that if you ran the same test an infinite number of times the results will fall between the 2 stated values of 1,106 and 1,296 95% of the time. It’s a standard measure used to mean high level of confidence. The value 1,197 represents the average level of antibodies present in the blood after vaccination. This was compared to the level of antibodies present in the blood from young participants in the original trial. So what they are doing is saying if the antibody response is not worse than the original trial we can conclude that the vaccine is equally effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom