Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Things are fine. Better than ever! I imagine the next few months aren’t going to have nearly the number of guests Disney was counting on. I’m hearing (from very special people) that occupancy continues to dwindle. DVC, however, is where it’s at.

Of course, the narrative online is that COVID fears have nothing to do with numbers. Everyone’s just cancelling their trips because Splash Mountain and Jungle Cruise and outrageous pricing.
Fall/winter travel is fairly wrecked…that’s what the industry analysts have been saying since august.

no matter how many people want to gin up “for the 50th”…still…around here…life got in the way.

whats alarming is it will be low occupancy hotels and raw crowds…but strangely long wait times/limited availability.

hmmmm🤔

As far as DVC goes…part of the problem there is the contract cycle…
You have to use those points within 3 years…no matter what. I think the original formula was 87% of the points needed to be used in the current year?

so when people canceled starting early 2020…you got a problem in late 2021 if the logjam hasn’t cleared.

wasn’t meant to do that. I think a lot of DVC travel will be kinda “hostage”…aka no choice from the members.

I also bet there’s a lot more rentals dumps on those secondary sites?

disneygeek90

Unfortunately our local haunt has had to pull the plug on a part of their plans this year. Pre-covid it had an option to opt into scareactors contact no additional charge. They dropped this last year. This year the plan was to reintroduce it but would have to provide proof of vaccination. With Delta still surging and apparently emails they've received requiring vaccination for contact allowed- they've once again pulled the plug and will do the normal no contact for anyone. It's recommended 13+, so it's not like they were targeting an age group that can't receive the vaccine. And more is this is a charity haunt all staffed with volunteers, and money raised goes to the community including police/EMS having portable AEDs, overdose kits, etc...yet people treat them like trash for trying to keep everyone safe and balance demand.
So... the plan was for scare actors to actually touch guests? Covid or not that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Patcheslee

So... the plan was for scare actors to actually touch guests? Covid or not that doesn't sound like a good idea.
It's been like that many years. They have to go through a minimum of 1 week training including where they are allowed i.e knees down, shoulders or higher. A couple are trained for specific things within their role like grabbing someone's hand and how to avoid being inappropriate.

macefamily

The attitude comes from the frustration of the nonsense and it being promoted either tacitly ( saying nothing and being vaccinated) or actively by those with influence whether they be Nicki Minaj, or those who grab on to that and repeat/promote it as "something to think about", while at the same time saying things like " I didn't suggest not getting vaccinated. That's a personal choice." in the exercise of absolving themselves of any responsibility for actively contributing to this going on much longer than it should have.

There is frustration with certain channels of social and regular media, but they aren't the only ones to blame. You've also got the neighbor who watches this stuff talking to the neighbor or family member who doesn't and that passes on the reluctance because people often trust their friends and relatives to not steer them wrong.
Dad/Mom/Pastor/(pick your real in person authority figure) said the vaccines are evil/microchipped/ not safe/useless so I'm not getting it or they are not letting me get it.
The jumps to the ideas of nazis and concentration camps don't help.

All this after how many people have already been vaccinated and the incredibly vast and clear majority of fatal cases of covid are now of those unvaccinated.
It's affecting lots of lives, not just those who die and their families, but lots of businesses and the economy in general.

I would love to go to DL or Knoebels ( local park), but I'm not. I'm vaxxed and so are a lot of others, but many of us are curtailing things such as travel, in person shopping, and other events such as parties, theater, you name it because this is all still going on.
We know of a breakthrough case of a friend with a two shot vaccine who was miserable for a week.

I'm just floored by the Knoebels reference :oops: When my kids were younger we would go there several times a week in the summer. We live about a half hour away.

dovetail65

https://deadline.com/2021/09/joe-biden-walt-disney-vaccine-bob-chapek-1234833923/

Disney’s Bob Chapek, Other CEOs Meet With Joe Biden On Vaccine Requirements​

Now that is funny!
Disney Land is in Orange County, so this would mainly apply to Universal.
Yes so far, I can't see Disney and orange county very far behind. It does seem to include Universal as you say. Would Disney voluntarily match it so they seem as safe as Universal? In a state like CA I am betting they may. I wonder what Universals response will be. Something like this should be state or even federal, the virus doesn't know that county line in that location anyhow?

Can this really help as transient and as much as everyone drives there? My kid drives in and out of those counties twice a day.

https://.com/2021/09/proof-of-covid...rks-in-los-angeles-county-starting-october-7/

Last edited:

dreday3

What are all of your state's quarantine requirements for traveling.?
Ours is only for the unvaccinated. And we have 48 states on our list. :D

Hey, bring on the lower crowds for October, I'm happy for it. We are already booked for our flu shots 3 weeks before trip, fully vaccinated, ready with masks and here we come! We never meant to visit during the 50th, but so it shall be.

Vegas Disney Fan

Things are fine. Better than ever! I imagine the next few months aren’t going to have nearly the number of guests Disney was counting on. I’m hearing (from very special people) that occupancy continues to dwindle. DVC, however, is where it’s at.

Of course, the narrative online is that COVID fears have nothing to do with numbers. Everyone’s just cancelling their trips because Splash Mountain and Jungle Cruise and outrageous pricing.

I’ve been stalking the WDW website for nearly 3 weeks trying to find a room for the beginning of November and everything has been over $1000 a night, a POFQ room showed up last night for $312 a night and I immediately booked it.

Unless people start canceling in mass I don’t think occupancy is going to be an issue for Disney.

Disstevefan1

I’ve been stalking the WDW website for nearly 3 weeks trying to find a room for the beginning of November and everything has been over $1000 a night, a POFQ room showed up last night for $312 a night and I immediately booked it.

Unless people start canceling in mass I don’t think occupancy is going to be an issue for Disney.
Absolutely correct. TWDC and it’s theme parks is invincible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom