Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmoredRodent

OSHA rules have been, until this point, post employment work rules. Now OSHA rules are pre employment work rules. Big difference.

Additionally, the Justice system was predicated on the principle of guaranteeing Life, Liberty, and Pusuit of Happiness except when ruled by a court if law.

The Judicial system can by trial by a jury:
Take life, in case of capital punishment
Take your money
Incarcerate you

Now by executive decree, you can lose your livelihood without trial.
Wow. I try to be respectful, but literally every sentence here is wrong. I'll try to give the benefit of the doubt here, but I apologize in advance if this seems disjointed; unavoidable since the sentences literally make no sense to someone who understands the system and proposal being "explained" here.

I have no idea what this first sentence is supposed to mean, but maybe it's talking about the new vaccination rules applying before you go to work for someone. I discussed in a post above how the rules will actually be developed. But this sentence doesn't describe how OSHA rules work anyway; they are rules on the workplace, and are likely to say something like "workers in XYZ-type workplaces must be vaccinated or otherwise meet the following exceptions." It may be that the effect of that kind of workplace rule is that the employer won't hire people who won't get vaccinated or otherwise protect themselves and other workers, but that would certainly be a "post employment" rule, if I'm understanding this sentence at all. In any event, OSHA rules have always said things like: "you must wear this harness when you work on a roof, or you can't work there." They are PREVENTATIVE, not remedial. So if the employer says: "you'll have to wear a harness on the roof or I can't hire you," that doesn't convert what you're calling a "post employment" workplace rule into a "pre-employment rule."

If the second sentence means most people are entitled to Due Process in most cases (that is, the federal and state governments are bound by the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments' requirements for Due Process), then yes, if you VIOLATE a rule, you get Due Process before punishment. You can't just go around suing to block rules that don't affect you; courts will throw you out because the defendant and the beneficiaries of the rule are as entitled to Due Process as you would be. In technical terms, you would not have "standing" to get a ruling by a court. The constitutional and statutory checks-and-balances that apply to a government agency's rulemaking also provide for a different type of Due Process; to the extent that applies in the OSHA case, it would be in the development and enforcement of the rule, and applies to the regulatory system of the Executive Branch, not, in the first instance, to the Judicial Branch. Otherwise, I'm not sure what's being said here. It is not the purpose of the Judicial Branch (except in a few situations) to make law; it is to decide "what the law is." Marbury v. Madison, 1803.

The Judicial Branch can do far more than the three things you posit in the fractured third sentence here, and can only do the three things you say under certain specific limitations. For example, the recent Texas Abortion law decision by the Supreme Court, rejecting an application for an emergency injunction against the Texas law, can be boiled down to a simple, easy-to-understand rule: a court can only order relief against someone who has a chance to present a defense or case before the court, and a court literally has no power to order people who are not represented in court to do or not do something. That's what an "injunction" is: a court order to do or not do something. The problem with the Texas law is what's called "the fallacy of erasure," which is a fancy way of saying a court ruling that something is unconstitutional doesn't erase the unconstitutional law; it just can't be enforced. You can't enjoin a law; you can only enjoin those who would enforce the law not to do so. And a court can certainly act without a jury, especially in emergencies, and on constitutional matters. Suits against the federal government are usually decided without a jury trial. See, for example, 28 U.S.C. 2402; "Denial of jury trial in such circumstances does not contravene the Seventh Amendment. 'It hardly can be maintained that under the common law in 1791 jury trial was a matter of right for persons asserting claims against the sovereign.'" Galloway v. United States, 319 U.S. 372, 388 (1943).

But none of that applies to the OSHA rules at this point; the whole "pre-enforcement review" issue that derailed the Texas law literally doesn't exist before the proposed OSHA rule is at least drafted. In part, that's because courts can't issue "advisory opinions" talking about hypothetical situations. The Constitution forbids it. You have to have a concrete factual situation and specific injuries to have "standing" to even sue to block or affect a rule.

And you cannot lose your livelihood by an Executive Order, at least not any more. That happened to Americans of Japanese heritage during World War II, when President Franklin Roosevelt's order gave authority to the War Department, and many years later, this Nation apologized, paid money damages, and took steps to never do that again. That's not what's being talked about here; what's being discussed is a government agency using its congressionally-delegated authority to do something, hopefully in a constitutionally-appropriate manner. If it doesn't, there are available judicial remedies. For example, the recent Alabama Association of Realtors Supreme Court rejection of the moratorium on evictions was based on the CDC not having the authority to do that, even during the pandemic. "The District Court produced a comprehensive opinion concluding that the statute on which the CDC relies does not grant it the authority it claims." No. 21A23, Slip op. at 1 (per curiam).

Again, each of these sentences is wrong, and apparently based on an incomplete understanding of both the current proposals and the American system of government. I would strongly suggest that you refrain from making flat-out declarations of what the law is until you are sworn in as a federal judge and follow the rules to be sure you're talking about the right thing. I apologize if that sounds harsh, but it would save us both from some difficulties.

DisneyCane

It’s like talking to a wall. Some people think if they say it enough times it’s true. At this point let the lawsuits be filed and the courts decide. Many companies are in the process of changing their policies already and are very happy to have the backing of the Federal government to support a policy that will help keep their workers safe and keep workers on site being productive. Having this requirement is a big help for companies that feared they could lose some workers if they mandated vaccinations. Now its even playing field for everyone unless you are a very small business. It’s a big win for large companies.
The issue in this case isn't so much constitutional as statutory authority. Nothing would stop congress from passing this as a bill and having the President sign it into law. That is pretty well established by court precedent. The issue is whether OSHA (or any other executive branch agency) has the statutory authority to implement this as a regulation. It needs to be determined if the legislative intent of the laws that created OSHA was for OSHA to implement regulations like this.

It's the same thing with the mask mandate on aircraft. The FAA is authorized to regulate aviation safety. I think it is pretty clear that the legislative intent was that "aviation safety" means things related to keeping aircraft from crashing and minimizing injuries from incidents. I don't think anybody would say that when authorizing the FAA, congress meant for them to be in charge of public health onboard. With the mask mandate, it isn't worth the money for somebody to challenge it. Especially because the airlines had made it policy anyway before the mandate was in place and the airlines can make whatever policy they want.

Similar to how any company can decide to require COVID vaccinations as a condition of employment without this rule as many had already done. I'd be interested to know how many unvaccinated people work for a company that employs more than 100 people and hadn't already announced a policy to require employees to be vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wow. I try to be respectful, but literally every sentence here is wrong. I'll try to give the benefit of the doubt here, but I apologize in advance if this seems disjointed; unavoidable since the sentences literally make no sense to someone who understands the system and proposal being "explained" here.

I have no idea what this first sentence is supposed to mean, but maybe it's talking about the new vaccination rules applying before you go to work for someone. I discussed in a post above how the rules will actually be developed. But this sentence doesn't describe how OSHA rules work anyway; they are rules on the workplace, and are likely to say something like "workers in XYZ-type workplaces must be vaccinated or otherwise meet the following exceptions." It may be that the effect of that kind of workplace rule is that the employer won't hire people who won't get vaccinated or otherwise protect themselves and other workers, but that would certainly be a "post employment" rule, if I'm understanding this sentence at all. In any event, OSHA rules have always said things like: "you must wear this harness when you work on a roof, or you can't work there." They are PREVENTATIVE, not remedial. So if the employer says: "you'll have to wear a harness on the roof or I can't hire you," that doesn't convert what you're calling a "post employment" workplace rule into a "pre-employment rule."

If the second sentence means most people are entitled to Due Process in most cases (that is, the federal and state governments are bound by the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments' requirements for Due Process), then yes, if you VIOLATE a rule, you get Due Process before punishment. You can't just go around suing to block rules that don't affect you; courts will throw you out because the defendant and the beneficiaries of the rule are as entitled to Due Process as you would be. In technical terms, you would not have "standing" to get a ruling by a court. The constitutional and statutory checks-and-balances that apply to a government agency's rulemaking also provide for a different type of Due Process; to the extent that applies in the OSHA case, it would be in the development and enforcement of the rule, and applies to the regulatory system of the Executive Branch, not, in the first instance, to the Judicial Branch. Otherwise, I'm not sure what's being said here. It is not the purpose of the Judicial Branch (except in a few situations) to make law; it is to decide "what the law is." Marbury v. Madison, 1803.

The Judicial Branch can do far more than the three things you posit in the fractured third sentence here, and can only do the three things you say under certain specific limitations. For example, the recent Texas Abortion law decision by the Supreme Court, rejecting an application for an emergency injunction against the Texas law, can be boiled down to a simple, easy-to-understand rule: a court can only order relief against someone who has a chance to present a defense or case before the court, and a court literally has no power to order people who are not represented in court to do or not do something. That's what an "injunction" is: a court order to do or not do something. The problem with the Texas law is what's called "the fallacy of erasure," which is a fancy way of saying a court ruling that something is unconstitutional doesn't erase the unconstitutional law; it just can't be enforced. You can't enjoin a law; you can only enjoin those who would enforce the law not to do so. And a court can certainly act without a jury, especially in emergencies, and on constitutional matters. Suits against the federal government are usually decided without a jury trial. See, for example, 28 U.S.C. 2402; "Denial of jury trial in such circumstances does not contravene the Seventh Amendment. 'It hardly can be maintained that under the common law in 1791 jury trial was a matter of right for persons asserting claims against the sovereign.'" Galloway v. United States, 319 U.S. 372, 388 (1943).

But none of that applies to the OSHA rules at this point; the whole "pre-enforcement review" issue that derailed the Texas law literally doesn't exist before the proposed OSHA rule is at least drafted. In part, that's because courts can't issue "advisory opinions" talking about hypothetical situations. The Constitution forbids it. You have to have a concrete factual situation and specific injuries to have "standing" to even sue to block or affect a rule.

And you cannot lose your livelihood by an Executive Order, at least not any more. That happened to Americans of Japanese heritage during World War II, when President Franklin Roosevelt's order gave authority to the War Department, and many years later, this Nation apologized, paid money damages, and took steps to never do that again. That's not what's being talked about here; what's being discussed is a government agency using its congressionally-delegated authority to do something, hopefully in a constitutionally-appropriate manner. If it doesn't, there are available judicial remedies. For example, the recent Alabama Association of Realtors Supreme Court rejection of the moratorium on evictions was based on the CDC not having the authority to do that, even during the pandemic. "The District Court produced a comprehensive opinion concluding that the statute on which the CDC relies does not grant it the authority it claims." No. 21A23, Slip op. at 1 (per curiam).

Again, each of these sentences is wrong, and apparently based on an incomplete understanding of both the current proposals and the American system of government. I would strongly suggest that you refrain from making flat-out declarations of what the law is until you are sworn in as a federal judge and follow the rules to be sure you're talking about the right thing. I apologize if that sounds harsh, but it would save us both from some difficulties.
I retract everything I have said and replace it with……this 👆 Well done:)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The issue in this case isn't so much constitutional as statutory authority. Nothing would stop congress from passing this as a bill and having the President sign it into law. That is pretty well established by court precedent. The issue is whether OSHA (or any other executive branch agency) has the statutory authority to implement this as a regulation. It needs to be determined if the legislative intent of the laws that created OSHA was for OSHA to implement regulations like this.

It's the same thing with the mask mandate on aircraft. The FAA is authorized to regulate aviation safety. I think it is pretty clear that the legislative intent was that "aviation safety" means things related to keeping aircraft from crashing and minimizing injuries from incidents. I don't think anybody would say that when authorizing the FAA, congress meant for them to be in charge of public health onboard. With the mask mandate, it isn't worth the money for somebody to challenge it. Especially because the airlines had made it policy anyway before the mandate was in place and the airlines can make whatever policy they want.

Similar to how any company can decide to require COVID vaccinations as a condition of employment without this rule as many had already done. I'd be interested to know how many unvaccinated people work for a company that employs more than 100 people and hadn't already announced a policy to require employees to be vaccinated.
The first challenge involves OSHA’s authority to regulate private businesses. This is pretty clearly established by Congress creating OSHA and giving them the authority to regulate workplace safety. The authority for Congress to regulate businesses comes from the Commerce clause of the constitution which includes foreign commerce as well as commerce between states. It’s very clear that covid has had an impact on interstate commerce as the virus crosses state boarders and impacts people of all walks of life and occupations. Any challenge based on OSHA‘s authority that succeeds would end the mandates completely but would be very unlikely to succeed.

A better way to attack this is probably around how exemptions are made available and applied. If the rule is written poorly it could leave the door open for challenges based on discrimination or being overly burdensome. These types of challenges won’t necessarily negate the requirements but could require them to be re-written to be more narrowly focused and/or provide more exceptions.

One final challenge we may see is someone arguing that natural immunity should count. We’ve seen this argument here and it’s possible that someone could argue that having a certain level of anti-bodies should trigger the same exemption from weekly testing as a vaccine does. I’m not saying that’s a slam dunk to win, but it’s another way to fight this mandate.

At the end of the day the political nonsense and blustering will not help but some people smarter than me will craft actual legal arguments to challenge it and it will be up to the authors of the requirements to ensure that these challenges do not succeed. The devil is in the details so we have to wait to see the emergency rule.

Virtual Toad

The pandemic continues to take a toll on our children. Even those who don’t come down with COVID are affected by what is and is not happening around them. Easily more than half the families with children we know have had to miss several days of school already due to quarantine. Many have had to get tested. Some have tested positive. Most have struggled with the choice between trying to stick it out at their brick and mortar school and returning to online alternatives.

This article mirrors what many in the community are grappling with:

“Many parents are incredulous at what seems like a retreat from a year ago, when schools offered multiple learning platforms and touted their COVID-19 safety measures. In hindsight, some say, this would have been the better year to keep their kids home, because it feels less safe.”

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wish they would start showing fully vaxed numbers.

Also... let's set a new goal :D
This is what the CDC has but it’s higher for 1 dose than what the county reports:
5CA2E9B0-3B93-48DB-AB52-99D08A24626B.png

LaughingGravy

I had a conversation with someone who is vaxxed at a company in FL who agrees with the assessment that this makes it really easy for any company with federal contracts to require vaccination or have weekly testing done.
There was the discussion of what to do about people considered difficult to replace who won't do either. If the gov't is the customer and the customer requires this, for what the gov't pays and their requirements, those difficult to replace people won't really have many places to go, since their specialties are only required by contractors who need to follow gov't requirements. All companies that contract to the gov't are in the same boat and that's a lot.
Those companies who don't want to play by the new gov't requirements will lose contracts, the same as it has always been. Most don't want to lose those contracts, so those difficult employees may have a tough time shopping their expertise to likely much smaller companies who don't care if they lose gov't contracts.
It's an effective way to hit a lot of private companies and their shareholders in the pocketbook big time for not complying with really what shouldn't even need to be a mandate at all were it not for conspiracy theories and misguided thoughts or "beliefs" of what rights and freedoms they are entitled to thanks to reductions in education over the past 60 years or so on quite a few subjects.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I had a conversation with someone who is vaxxed at a company in FL who agrees with the assessment that this makes it really easy for any company with federal contracts to require vaccination or have weekly testing done.
There was the discussion of what to do about people considered difficult to replace who won't do either. If the gov't is the customer and the customer requires this, for what the gov't pays and their requirements, those difficult to replace people won't really have many places to go, since their specialties are only required by contractors who need to follow gov't requirements. All companies that contract to the gov't are in the same boat and that's a lot.
Those companies who don't want to play by the new gov't requirements will lose contracts, the same as it has always been. Most don't want to lose those contracts, so those difficult employees may have a tough time shopping their expertise to likely much smaller companies who don't care if they lose gov't contracts.
It's an effective way to hit a lot of private companies and their shareholders in the pocketbook big time for not complying with really what shouldn't even need to be a mandate at all were it not for conspiracy theories and misguided thoughts or "beliefs" of what rights and freedoms they are entitled to thanks to reductions in education over the past 60 years or so on quite a few subjects.
It certainly isn’t the easy way….but we patiently waited for the easy way to work and we’re left disappointed. Vaccine or bust…whatever it takes.

maui2k7

Disney could remove them now (or not have reinstated them) so obviously Disney doesn't want to remove them. Universal doesn't require them.
Disney is going along with what the mayor of OC and the white house/CDC say to do. As for the goal posts analogy, it used to be herd immunity when 60% are either recovered or vaccinated. Now only those who are vaccinated are considered immune and they want to get above 80% and next a third dose plus now looking at vaccine mandates for airplane travel.

My point is, we have no clue when the government, be it local or federal, will update what they say we need to do next. Don't wear a mask, then wear a mask, then don't wear a mask if you are vaccinated, then wear a mask if your vaccinated to the latest today of "get vaccinated to protect the vaccinated".

JD80

Disney is going along with what the mayor of OC and the white house/CDC say to do. As for the goal posts analogy, it used to be herd immunity when 60% are either recovered or vaccinated. Now only those who are vaccinated are considered immune and they want to get above 80% and next a third dose plus now looking at vaccine mandates for airplane travel.

My point is, we have no clue when the government, be it local or federal, will update what they say we need to do next. Don't wear a mask, then wear a mask, then don't wear a mask if you are vaccinated, then wear a mask if your vaccinated to the latest today of "get vaccinated to protect the vaccinated".
I feel like you don't understand how difficult it is to create policy on the fly for a disease no one truly understands that is evolving. Especially when you have the advantage of hindsight.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
That's the latest shouting point/misinformation coming out of the anti-vax lunatics. They don't care whether it's true or not, as long as they can try to discredit the vax.
Latest? The same cast of characters have been saying the same things for decades. It’s just that now, there’s something they can rally around. It’s never been about the vaccine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

If there’s anything we should have learned from this pandemic by now is that plans and mitigation have to evolve based on the virus not whatever timeline we desire. Goals and targets are necessary to have but should never have been viewed as absolutes. The timeline is also not linear it’s a dial not a light switch. Cases go down we dial down mitigation, cases go up we dial back up. People upset that masks were dropped for fully vaccinated and then added back failed to realize this and many still do. Delta came and “moved the goal posts”.

As far as targets and goals for removing mitigations, Disney will likely act when the numbers look like they can/should. That doesn’t mean they cannot revert back again if cases spike again. People need to recognize that this isn’t over until it’s over and we won’t know when the pandemic actually ended until months later. If having mitigations in place is a deal breaker for anyone booking a Disney trip I would not suggest looking at current policy and assuming it won’t change months from now unless you are OK with cancelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom